Sneak Peak: Foamboard Focke Wulf 190

Niez13

Elite member
I thought I'd share my latest build before I finished it. Here are some photos of how the build is going so far. I thought I'd try something new on the wing tips. A little bit of John Overstreet and Nerdnic style mixed together.
IMG_3374.JPG IMG_3375.JPG IMG_3376.JPG IMG_3377.JPG IMG_3379.JPG IMG_3380.JPG IMG_3382.JPG

kilroy07

Legendary member
I do not have a covering iron but I think I should get one because that looks so good. Is that one done on a flitetest under camber wingtip?
Yup, that's the Tiny Trainer Sport wing... It's always bothered me how there was that ugly notch... this not only solves that, I have been using it on the ailerons to do the bevel and when I did it seems to really stiffen up the control surfaces.

It's something to look for at a swap meet or used on Ebay...

Niez13

Elite member
Yup, that's the Tiny Trainer Sport wing... It's always bothered me how there was that ugly notch... this not only solves that, I have been using it on the ailerons to do the bevel and when I did it seems to really stiffen up the control surfaces.

It's something to look for at a swap meet or used on Ebay...
I could probably try that technique on the Stuka to smooth it out.

kilroy07

Legendary member
Do it on a scrap piece first! :oops:

But yea it makes a WORLD of difference, I think you will find it'll take your already great builds to another level!

I usually have my iron set to around 360 F (just under 200 C.)
Take your time, if the foam instantly melts, you've got the iron too hot.

initially I start at a 45 degree angle (like a bevel) just to get the lip formed. As the two sides come together I start "rolling" the edge which produces a super clean leading edge.

I will caution you... it will add some time to your builds, and once you start, you will want to do it to all your builds!
:LOL:

MarioGdV

I have a question, how do you know how much foam do you need to cover the fuselage? Do you just cover it and remove the excess? I'm using Fusion 360 so I can know the exact shape of the piece I need to cut for making a good covering, but I don't know if it's really necessary.

Wildthing

Legendary member
I like the structure of the plane, nicely done. It gives me more ideas for my next design using 1mm Depron foam for a skin. When RC Foam closed their doors I picked up two huge rolls of it for $5.00 each.

Niez13

Elite member

But yea it makes a WORLD of difference, I think you will find it'll take your already great builds to another level!

initially I start at a 45 degree angle (like a bevel) just to get the lip formed. As the two sides come together I start "rolling" the edge which produces a super clean leading edge.

I will caution you... it will add some time to your builds, and once you start, you will want to do it to all your builds!
I will definitely try it out. Thanks for help!

Niez13

Elite member
I have a question, how do you know how much foam do you need to cover the fuselage? Do you just cover it and remove the excess? I'm using Fusion 360 so I can know the exact shape of the piece I need to cut for making a good covering, but I don't know if it's really necessary.
I actually just take paper and make a paper "skin" around the former's. I then take that paper piece and cut it out of foamboard. It takes a little more time but it turns out amazing. I actually wish I had the system you have to be able to do that. I would recommend using your system but if it doesn't turn out good, go with the paper technique.

MarioGdV

I think using paper takes even less time, I'll try to do it to see the differences, but I guess it's almost the same. What I do in the computer is basically cover the space between 2 formers and unfold it to make a 2D piece. Making everything in a 3D program only gives you an idea of how it will look when you build it. It's not really necessary, but since foamboard is a bit expensive here in Spain, I'm trying not to spend too much material. Thank you for the help!

Niez13

Elite member
I think using paper takes even less time, I'll try to do it to see the differences, but I guess it's almost the same. What I do in the computer is basically cover the space between 2 formers and unfold it to make a 2D piece. Making everything in a 3D program only gives you an idea of how it will look when you build it. It's not really necessary, but since foamboard is a bit expensive here in Spain, I'm trying not to spend too much material. Thank you for the help!
No problem but a word of advice with paper molding, is the foamboard piece is actually going to be a little longer than the paper piece. You'll understand once you try it but definitely use white foamboard first before flitetest foamboard.

Wildthing

Legendary member

It not only looks great but it adds a ton of torsional strength to it and it does weigh less then doing paper.