so...I bought a mini vapor...lol

epic.engineering

so I went into the local hobby shop to buy a few last minute parts for my bat bone build. While there I saw they had the mini vapor rtf for $39.99 I couldn't pass it up.. so I took a few planes and the micro out to fly.. I must say at first I didn't care much for the mini vapor but it grew on me. Especially when I found i could fly Werth my 150mah batteries for my p51.. 30minute plus flight times..

Pictures to come in a few

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
know what I love most about the vapor series? How they bounce off walls! Really have to work at it to break 'em!

so it can drag around the 150s. Might have to pick up the mini to fly next to the NV!

epic.engineering

know what I love most about the vapor series? How they bounce off walls! Really have to work at it to break 'em!

so it can drag around the 150s. Might have to pick up the mini to fly next to the NV!
I figured I'd try it and it does, just slide the battery mount to the center as recommended after that she flies slow and awesome.. only thing to watch for is the motor is cooking after long extended flights

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
brushed motors don't last forever . . . but a 30 min run-time is long.

Get 15-17 on my night vapor, and it comes back pretty warm.

MrClean

I have a nite vapor, flys forever with lights flashing and you can fly it through easy ups and between split rail fences and darn near anything. I've spent time in my back yard just flying it into the box portion of my grand childrens swingset/jungle gym.

Don't like much in the way of wind but on a calm night or indoor flying, it's pretty mindless, worryless fun.

epic.engineering

Don't like much in the way of wind but on a calm night or indoor flying, it's pretty mindless, worryless fun.

True statement, you can fly it with just one thumb on the controls. It's not my favorite plane but I don't regret the purchase.. especially not at $40.. anyone have the dx6i setup.. I've only been flying it with the remote that came with it.

Last edited:

MrClean

I just used standard mixing with the rudder and ailerons both in control of the rudder on my Dx8

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I've taken it a step further on my dx7s -- programmed 1/2 throw on the ail stick, and mixed in 1/2 throw on the rud>ail. That way, if I'm lazy the rudder is anemic, but to get full throw I've got to use both sticks. By no means a replacement for true ailerons, but keeps me from forgeting that left stick.

Woudn't recomend this for a bank&yank, though :black_eyed:

epic.engineering

it flies like bank and yank with the stock controller.. just slide the left sick all the way up and forget about it.. then bank and yank the right.. problem I have with the stock controller other than I'm used to the larger dx6i is the elevator control in way over kill. I've flip this thing over and been flying inverted unintentionally.. the rudder is almost as bad.. even when set to the factory dual rates it feels like a 3d plane..

If I could dual the throws back maybe half on the elevator and a quarter on the rudder..it would be perfect..

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
You can always move the pushrod to one of the outer holes. You can even adjust R&E throw independantly that way, but it's more a semi-perminant change (hard to do, so I wouldn't do it often).

epic.engineering

You can always move the pushrod to one of the outer holes. You can even adjust R&E throw independantly that way, but it's more a semi-perminant change (hard to do, so I wouldn't do it often).

I'm going to bind it to my dx6i when I get home. I'm not used to entering in a plane or heli without reading some setup sheet from horizon etc.. but this plane is simple enough that i should be able to figure it out..

I was trying to let a friend fly it yesterday.. his first time flying a plane and it was too much for him with the throws the way they are, complied with a gentle breeze he was white knuckle the 30seconds or so that it was in the air..

I'm hoping it will be a decent trainer I can use to get a few friends flying.. so maybe I should do what you suggested and adjust the plane so they can fly with the stock transmitter

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Should be a good indoor trainer, but any breeze though is gonna bat it around far too much. My night vapor takes a noticable hit in the downdrafts when the central A/C is running. Positive side, you'll hardly need any space at all.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
The night vapor needs a 20x20x8' clear space -- a finished 2 car garage, in my case. In that space, I can do a figure 8 in the room w/o too much trouble or flipping into high alpha.

The mini vapor is noticably slower, and HH specs a 10x10' room. Was sceptical before I bought the night vapor, but now I'm inclined to beleive them . . .