So I want a tiny whoop

Swampcrawler

Well guys. My Fatshark 101 was treating me pretty well.

But, little known fact, an inconveniently placed piece of 1 inch steel tubing holding up a banner is hard to see through FPV gear for a newbie.

And hitting said tubing at mach3 squarely on the camera of a Fatshark 101 quad is no bueno. Drone still flys fine, but camera feed goes black when the motors spin up. A couple hours fiddling with it and I can’t figure it out. Oh well.

So I have the Fatshark recon goggles and the Fatshark sport radio which is supposed to be Compatible with any fly-sky receiver.

I’d like to get a whoop, batteries and charger that’s compatible with those goggles and radio for $100 or under if possible.

Any ideas??

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
This is why I'm leery of some of the off-brand, cheaper transmitters - trying to find something that will be compatible is not easy when you want a bind n' fly. All of the Tiny Whoop/Inductrix/NewBeeDrone builds that I know of all work with FrSky or DSMX (Spektrum), so you would need one of those radios or a module that would convert your current radio to broadcast DSMX or FrSky.

All that said, I've got my eye on the NewBeeDrone TinyWhoops. Things are crazy fast, maneuverable, stable in the air, and just all sorts of fun for about $100 for the drone.

Swampcrawler

This is why I'm leery of some of the off-brand, cheaper transmitters - trying to find something that will be compatible is not easy when you want a bind n' fly. All of the Tiny Whoop/Inductrix/NewBeeDrone builds that I know of all work with FrSky or DSMX (Spektrum), so you would need one of those radios or a module that would convert your current radio to broadcast DSMX or FrSky.

All that said, I've got my eye on the NewBeeDrone TinyWhoops. Things are crazy fast, maneuverable, stable in the air, and just all sorts of fun for about $100 for the drone.

Thanks man. I’m thinking now of just grabbing a Taranis QX7 and flying that with the DRL sim for a bit. Then getting either a whoop or maybe a Gremlin type thing.

I dunno. I suppose I was looking for the cheapest way in when I need to be looking at the most affordable but quality way in that can grow with me.

Speaking of which, will these Recon goggles work with most FpV setups or are they junk as well?

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Taranis Qx7 is a good way to go for cheap; I will admit that I personally am not a fan of it because of ergonomics and the gimbals. However, that is one of those things that varies from person to person, so while I may have to stretch to hit a particular switch, you may find it to be perfect for you. :)

As for the Recon goggles, those are a great starter set. They're limited to 4 bands instead of 8 bands like most of the other Fatshark goggles and video transmitters, but as long as you know what channel and band you're broadcasting on, just set it to something the goggles can see. And don't instantly ditch them if you decide to upgrade; you can always loan them to someone else for a "ride along". :)

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
The Tiny6 is available with a FlySky receiver, and is actually quite good. I'd recommend getting the advanced version, it comes with extra batteries, props, bodies and a pretty nice charger. If (when) you upgrade your radio you can change the receiver, unlike many of the others which have the Rx built into the FC.

Swampcrawler

The Tiny6 is available with a FlySky receiver, and is actually quite good. I'd recommend getting the advanced version, it comes with extra batteries, props, bodies and a pretty nice charger. If (when) you upgrade your radio you can change the receiver, unlike many of the others which have the Rx built into the FC.

Ordered one today. Looks like a great little package. Thanks!!!

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Cool, i've had a lot of fun with mine. I'd recommend checking out Project Mockingbird to get it set up and flying well, it will make it fly just like an Inductrix.

Swampcrawler

Just an update for anyone interested. My Tiny6 came in yesterday. One of the 5 batteries was swollen and no good. The other four were fine.

After flashing to the newest firmware and applying a dump of Project Mockingbird, I’m amazed.

This thing is better in every way than the Fatshark quad. It’s fun as heck in the house. It’s fun in the back yard. It’s fun at the Park. This is what I should have gotten in the first place.

Yeah I looked at that one but decided on a qx65 (mainly because of the osd) 😂. I just upgraded the motors and frame and man does it fly great! Power loops and acro are possible and easily attainable with zero to little propwash.

BS projects inc.

Elite member
You could get a cheap blade transmitter for about 20$. You can get the blade inductrix for 50$ rtf on ebay, buy a camera, upgrade the motors, and buy more batteries all for under 100$. If you are familiar with how to solder stuff this should be easy and you can upgrade the battery connector to jst 2.0 for much better efficiency.