so I'm looking for a good trainer

Pilot-294

So I flew it today and it flies wonderfully, tracks like an arrow, nice and docile, flies a little slower than I thought which was good. But I underestimated the space I would need to fly it and on my practice approach I nabbed a tree. Other words I had a phenomenal flight. It's perfect for me, even if I have a lot of learning to do with the girl. It's a super super tough bird, it took a tree and only needs a little glue on the mount and a new cowl. Once the shops open back up I'll get a few spare cowls and props and do some learning in a larger field. I don't care what anyone says, even if overall its a bit advanced for me it's exactly what I wanted and I'm gonna have a ball with this plane!!

If you want more speed prop up to a 10X7 from Master Airscrew. You can also go with a higher c rating as well as a bigger battery. I prefer sticking with the 1300 because I like the way it flies with less weight in the nose. Hold on tight though. Mine is a rocket with that prop and a 40c.

After looking at your photo's I realized I misread your post and you have an F4U not an F4F. My son has one and in order to get more performance we went with a 9.5X7.5 prop and a Turnigy G15 motor. Stick with the 2200mah battery.

Jay

Last edited:

Pilot-294

Thanks guys, I'll be propping up after I learn to fly it without the trees haha, I tell you what tho this is the first time I've wrecked and been really proud and happy after the fact. It's a super tough and super plane. Making a great low wing trainer for me it's wonderful. I'll have pics after Xmas, I'm at my dads place without a good comp. I'll have em up Xmas day tho when we get home I'll video my second flight and if it's not too embarrassing I'll post her in the air!

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Congratulations. I'm really happy that you're satisfied with your purchase. No matter what else everyone else may say, it's the joy of flying that matters. If you are enjoying it then you did it right. We're all looking forward to seeing pictures, videos and hearing your stories.

Pilot-294

so today i re-glued my engine plate to the front, its a SUPER easy fix. just liberally apply some epoxy and she's flight worthy again. getting (hopefully) a cowl tomorrow as well as (better than expected xmas by 300 bucks!!!!) another bnf plane!! thinking about an ultra micro with some extra batteries, and props. something to take to the gym at messiah where my friend is in college and fly for some indoor fun. maybe another corsair? but probably a p-51 um. just because the wind down here sucks but maybe ill end up with another park flyer idk yet, but i wanna keep it under or around 150 so i have extra cash for extra parts (I'm gonna wreck it i know it) but I'm so so so so excited about this plane I'm so happy with it. and I'm pretty confident about my next flight too. maybe this time i won't doubt myself into a tree haha. its either that or a new trainer heli. i don't know yet right now, but I'm in a great mood. even if i don't make out well with these planes ill be in the air force soon with money for whatever planes i wanna get. so heres some pics pre crash, the repairs are gonna cover up any damages without seeing them so i won't bother with the crash pics since they weren't all that amazing anyways (didn't think to take any till after i glued the plate back on... haha

photo-7.JPG photo-9.JPG photo-10.JPG photo-6.JPG photo-8.JPG

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
For indoor flying - it is a really "short field" - everything (wall, floor an roof) is attacking you plane ;-)
Thats is where the CUB is a really good choice. The Ember or vapor will fly in smaller rooms than normal gym.
They are really good trainers for precision start and landings, also good for flying in a smaller garden when it is calm weather.
If you are getting spare batteries - get the hi C rated - they will work with the faster planes and copters. The smaller lo C wont give you enough power for the bigger motors.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11893

Last edited:

earthsciteach

Messiah? You're local! I live in Dallastown and teach in Camp Hill, Pa. I fly at Allen Middle School in Camp Hill (right off of the Slate Hill exit of Rt 15 and behind my house in Dallastown. Let me know if you'd like to get together sometime!

As for indoor flyers, the Champ is great! We beat the crap out of them at my school, glue, tape and keep going! I haven't flown the UM Cub, but imagine its similar to the Champ. Stay away from the UM P-51 for indoor (voice of experience). It is shockingly fast when trying to fly in a confined space! But, it is a FUN airplane.

At this moment, I'm gathering all my stuff to fly at Highpoint Heritage Park. Its just south of Rt 30 along the river. Nothing but a HUGE, wide-open hill (no trees) with an amazing view of the Susquehanna! This wind is perfect for some slope soaring. I'll be posting videos later.

Pilot-294

Couldn't resist lol. I got the um mossy and some extra batts. Should be cool, and I would love to meet up and fly sometime! Let me know if there's a day your going and of I'm free I'll meet u all I'll need is the location

earthsciteach

Sounds good. I will be flying as much as possible over the next week. We are off until January 3rd. My schedule is wide open!
Looks like tomorrow is going to be rainy. Wednesday is going to be really windy (back to Highpoint!), but things look decent after that.

Did you buy your planes at Kranzel's or Hidden Hanger?

Fishbonez

so today i re-glued my engine plate to the front, its a SUPER easy fix. just liberally apply some epoxy and she's flight worthy again. getting (hopefully) a cowl tomorrow as well as (better than expected xmas by 300 bucks!!!!) another bnf plane!! thinking about an ultra micro with some extra batteries, and props. something to take to the gym at messiah where my friend is in college and fly for some indoor fun. maybe another corsair? but probably a p-51 um. just because the wind down here sucks but maybe ill end up with another park flyer idk yet, but i wanna keep it under or around 150 so i have extra cash for extra parts (I'm gonna wreck it i know it) but I'm so so so so excited about this plane I'm so happy with it. and I'm pretty confident about my next flight too. maybe this time i won't doubt myself into a tree haha. its either that or a new trainer heli. i don't know yet right now, but I'm in a great mood. even if i don't make out well with these planes ill be in the air force soon with money for whatever planes i wanna get. so heres some pics pre crash, the repairs are gonna cover up any damages without seeing them so i won't bother with the crash pics since they weren't all that amazing anyways (didn't think to take any till after i glued the plate back on... haha

View attachment 2121 View attachment 2122 View attachment 2123 View attachment 2124 View attachment 2125

I admit I am a jealouse person right now. I have always wanted that plane right there and excited that you were able to have such great success with it. I know now I will be purchasing this palne this spring. I love the corsair since I was a kid and watching Blacksheep Squadron with Robert Conrad weekly just to check them out, yea I know I am showing my age. Great job dude and definitly catch up with Teach you might be able to show him a thing or 2 :D

Last edited:

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
The F4U is a nice plane - i have a Herr balsa and tissue Corsair F4U, but have wishes for a PZ or HK - but compare...
The price will be about the same as i can buy the PZ pnp locally and the extra cost for tax and freight will get the HK in about the same price (or more).
The HK gears and weapons are a plus for HK but will it be tough enough for grass fields?
The PZ is guaranteed strong and suited for belly landings on grass. Perhaps also good with gears om a grass field?
If spares are needed i will get them fast for the PZ but not for the HK.
I know the flying with the PZ but have not flown the HK - suppose they are very much the same?
Is there anyone who can give me an experienced opinion if PZ or HK F4U is the better one for grass fields?

Pilot-294

Sounds good. I will be flying as much as possible over the next week. We are off until January 3rd. My schedule is wide open!
Looks like tomorrow is going to be rainy. Wednesday is going to be really windy (back to Highpoint!), but things look decent after that.

Did you buy your planes at Kranzel's or Hidden Hanger?

i have been getting everything at the hangar. i dunno how i like kranzels yet, but the hangar seems to have more fair prices too. imo of course. (and more planes) and as for this week unless they call me in the only day i work is this saturday so im open to flying any time. i was actually hoping to call messiah and see if i could use the gym tomorrow. idk how it will go but i figure if nothing is going on they might allow me to fly there. its worth a shot anyhow. if it doesnt go well ill have to find somewhere else to indoor, but i have no clue where that would be. messiah's gym seems pretty huge if i remember right, about 3 or so basketball courts in size, perfect for my mossy and a circle pattern (i hope) lol

Pilot-294

The F4U is a nice plane - i have a Herr balsa and tissue Corsair F4U, but have wishes for a PZ or HK - but compare...
The price will be about the same as i can buy the PZ pnp locally and the extra cost for tax and freight will get the HK in about the same price (or more).
The HK gears and weapons are a plus for HK but will it be tough enough for grass fields?
The PZ is guaranteed strong and suited for belly landings on grass. Perhaps also good with gears om a grass field?
If spares are needed i will get them fast for the PZ but not for the HK.
I know the flying with the PZ but have not flown the HK - suppose they are very much the same?
Is there anyone who can give me an experienced opinion if PZ or HK F4U is the better one for grass fields?

as for grass im a little scared to run my f4 with gear, seems too stubby and small wheeled to handle anything long or bumpy at all, i might land it in the grass with the gear down but i wouldnt know how it will handle it for sure. thats just my opinion on my pz f4u but maybe im wrong

by the way, im having trouble re-binding my dx5e to my f4u, since i bound to the um it wont go back, i thought it should have worked straight back and forth but something is keeping me from binding it. im gonna do some looking around hopefully i can figure it out...

Pilot-294

Never mind about the binding bit, I needed a bind plug. So I visited the wonderful world of YouTube and I made one. Now I'm able to bind back and forth no problems!