so I'm looking for a good trainer

Pilot-294

so i called messiah to use the gym, dude i got was an ass, no other way about it. asked him about using my plane, he didn't wanna hear it, didn't care, and was not open to reason or talk about it. noone at northern high school either. looks like todays flying indoors is a bust.......... :(

earthsciteach

Sorry to hear that. I should be up at my school sometime before break is over. As long as there isn't an event going on, you can try there. I'll send you my cell in a private message. Just text me back and I'll give you a call when I know that I'm heading up there.
However, I would definitely recommend you fly it outdoors before indoors! That gives you a lot more space to get used to the plane. You will be surprised how fast and twitchy that mosquito is going to feel since it is so light. I know-rainy weather today and wind tomorrow...

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I had to go through the local department of parks and recreation. I gathered some interested pilots and approached it as a community event. In my community they are the ones responsible for organizing adult basketball, volleyball, youth leagues and things like that. After a couple months of pestering I was able to get a spot on the community calendar and flew twice a week. This year we are limited to once a week but once the schedule opens up we should be able to get another day if the interest is there. For indoor flying, I strongly recommend staying away from the warbirds. The guys here have just about every ultra micro made so I can tell you what's hard to fly. Here's a sample list and how they fly indoors.

Champ - Pretty easy to fly, not very aerobatic but definitely fun.

Vapor/ Ember 2 - Very easy and fun to fly, relaxingly slow. I sometimes warm up with it before giving it to the kids. My favorite for letting people try who've never flown before.

P-51 - Very fast, takes all of the gym to fly. Experienced pilots only indoors. It can be done, but it's stressful because you'll spend all the time just trying to keep it in one piece.

Mosquito Twin - Same as P-51.

J3 Cub - Pretty much the same as the champ.

Sukhoi - the old white one. A good outdoor plane, can be flown indoors but doesn't have the long throw servos so it's not as manuevarable.

Su26 XP - The yellow one- A pretty cool plane. Very good outdoors, much like the P-51 outside, but quite a bit more manuevarable. It's still a handful inside though, recommend for intermediate pilots.

Ultra Micro T-28 Trojan - This is a fantastic plane. It's the easiest to fly 4 channel ultra micro made. It's easy flight characteristics have me sold. When my kids are ready to start flying four channel, I'm getting a T-28.

Ultra Micro 4-Site and UMX Extra 300 - This type is the best for indoor flying. They are super slow and super aerobatic. You can pitch them into a high alpha and just float around the room. Even flying level they are slow enough to give you lots of time. They are also surprisingly durable.

Anyone who spends much time in the gym ends up going with a profile plane, something aerobatic. Once we go outside however, the warbirds are a total blast. The profiles get blown around a bit more, but since you can fly them so slowly, I fly them in my front yard or at the park while the kids are playing on the swings. You really don't need much space at all.

Here's a few links.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXjAwp_HYNY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_sfrRa1rU8

Pilot-294

so you guys do know, i flew today with earthsciteach, and in my opinion, the F4U flew like a DREAM, it felt like it flew slower, more docile, straighter, and overall and completely better than my .40 size high wing, heck, it flies a LOT more like i high wing trainer to me then a low wing, especialy not a warbird. it feels scale for rolls, drops a tiny, not sure on loops, as for power, its grand! flew in the wind great, even gusts where no problem. not that the gusts where high wind or anything. but it handles sweeeeeeeeeet! im going to tell you that i feel like i couldnt have picked a better plane for me! and the mossie flies like a DREAM X2 its docile, slow, lofty, but powerful and handled the wind just as well as as the 4u even bringing it to a standstill feet from us, it sat there like i was holding it. overall, maybe not what you guys think as a perfect beginner but it sure flies like a dream and a half for me. i love it and i wouldnt redo it for anything! for more on our day in the snow check out earthsci's post called break out the de-icing truck :cool:

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
That's really cool. I'm glad to hear a review of that plane as there are a few interested parties around here. I've always loved that plane and was thinking about doing a big balsa version. I'd like to keep those same characteristics.

Pilot-294

building a balsa with the sam characteristics would be hard imo but i think it could definitely be done. the reason this bird is so nice in the air is because of its light weight and large control surfaces, not hard to replicate in a f4u but still my thinking anyhow. if your doing balsa its a lot of extra weight proportionally maybe slightly enlarge your airfoil or increase your AOA (as not to remove scale appearance) and make sure you set a large enough dihedral it helps the plane a TON

of course these are just my thoughts on it I'm not sure how well heavier corsairs fly as i haven't ever flown a heavy one

anyhow, if you do it let me know, i love a good corsair, so keep me posted!

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
My ADD doesn't allow me the patience to get that far into building lol. I have enough patience and spare time to scratch build foamies and do some repairs is all. I was thinking more of a hangar 9 ARF with a gas engine, but those sound like great ideas. I think that if I had a super super light air frame and put on too big an engine it would fit me perfectly.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
That's really cool. I'm glad to hear a review of that plane as there are a few interested parties around here. I've always loved that plane and was thinking about doing a big balsa version. I'd like to keep those same characteristics.
I big plane need more space to star and land. The H9 and other F4U fly really good - not only the PZ.
There is absolutely no more weight in a balsa plane compared to a foam plane in the same size, but larger planes are more heavy by nature.
A gas engine is comfortable but a 5 cylinder glow will give you the best sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJVcIBQ3ChY

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Yep. Always had it. The worst part is...........look a squirrel.............

or look, something shiny

Have crashed more than once because I hear a crunch and try to catch a tasty combat hit.
Hard lesson to learn- Watch and fly only YOUR plane :)

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
or look, something shiny

Have crashed more than once because I hear a crunch and try to catch a tasty combat hit.
Hard lesson to learn- Watch and fly only YOUR plane :)

LMAO I can't tell you how many times I've crashed because something else was goi.......look a squirrel.........