So what about Orange receivers with the Spektrum DX6?

Gryf

Hi, all.

Just got a new DX6 radio, and am getting ready to convert all my planes from Tactic to Spektrum.

Have any of you used Orange receivers with your Spektrum radios, and would you recommend them? Spektrum receivers are great, but in the interest of being economical (read, "cheap"), I'd like to give Orange a try. I'm particularly interested in this one, since it provides DSMX/DSM2 compatibility. All the reviews seem positive, but I wanted to check here too.

Thanks for any comments!

Gryf

CavRecon

I've got several of them for the exact same reason. I use them with my DX6, DX8, and my son's DX6i.

I have somewhat limited experience but have not yet had a problem.

As a matter of fact, just ordered a couple more!

DharanFlyer

I'm with Cav. I use the one you listed and never had a problem. Much like Cav the frame I fly the most has a Spektrum brand Rx in it, but never had a problem with my Orange Rx. Just bought two new smaller units to try out in a Baby Baron and some other FT frame, but haven't decided what yet.

dengar256

I started using lemon as well (DSM2 Feather Light). I don' have a ton of flights on it but so far no problem. I like the price and the size / weight. It took about 2 weeks to arrive (I am in Canada) and it was free shipping. So if you are not in a rush its a good deal. However in my nitro planes I use a real Spektrum.

slyke

Happy with Orange RX and DX6 transmitter:
I've used many Orange R615x receivers and all have worked great with my Spektrum DX6 except the antenna wires are short and kind of stiff.

I just bought a OrangeRx R620X V2 and it has longer antenna leads and sends back telemetry info like battery voltage. You can also add a current sensor but I haven't tested that feature.

-Stephen

Liv2ride

I've been using Lemon Dsmx and dsm2 receivers for half a year, and I have to say, I have never had one fail me. In the weight savings alone, they are great.

I usually grab some heat shrink to cover the whole unit, leaving the antennas open. New ones I received all had hotglue already applied to antenna joints. After 4 months of flying with half dsmx and the other half dsm2, I ended up purchasing a 5 pack of dsm2 since I saw no benefits for me, except price..

On a final note though, dsm2 doesn't have failsafe like dsmx has for servo positions/throttle speed, incase of a brown out.. but I've never had one.

BryceAZ

I have always used the Orange ones with no problems. To save weight (almost 5g) I take the plastic case off and make new ones from poster board.

IMG_20160427_28648.jpg IMG_20160427_27670.jpg IMG_20160427_3050.jpg

The guy at my LHS uses the Lemon ones and he swears by them. Shipping takes awhile though.

Tench745

Master member
Gryf, I have to agree with most of what's been said so far. I have the same 6Channel Orange receiver in my 250quad and BN Versa. I only have a few hours of flying time on them, but I've yet to have any trouble. I have four channel Spektrum receivers in my Jenny and Cafe Racer and I notice no difference in performance or connectivity between them and the Orange receivers.
I should add, I've never flown in a group setting, so I don't know if there would be any issues with other radios and receivers around.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
image.jpeg
My LemonRx receiver. 6 channels, light, inexpensive, and so far I haven't had any negative issues.

Andrew

G'day Mate
I've been using "Orange RX" ever since HK started making them (4-5 years ago). After 1000s of flights I've never ever had a problem with them, NO lock-outs or inflight brown-outs.
Like some other people I still use genuine Spektrum with my glow and larger electrics.
Now I have started using these Storm S603 because they have the long coax antennas, PPM and they are cheep and work just as well as others.

Cytogreg

Orange in Mini Corsair

Hi, all.

Just got a new DX6 radio, and am getting ready to convert all my planes from Tactic to Spektrum.

Have any of you used Orange receivers with your Spektrum radios, and would you recommend them? Spektrum receivers are great, but in the interest of being economical (read, "cheap"), I'd like to give Orange a try. I'm particularly interested in this one, since it provides DSMX/DSM2 compatibility. All the reviews seem positive, but I wanted to check here too.

Thanks for any comments!

Gryf

Hi Gryf, I have a small 6 channel Ornage in my Mini Corsair scratch built and it has performed very well so far. I have ordered four more for future projects. I don't know if I would use one in my DLG's or my electrified Bird of Time three meter glider but maybe after trying using them in my FT builds to make sure each one doesn't have any bugs starting out. I've read that if they are bad, they will be bad right from the start. Haven't experienced that yet. Happy flying.

CavRecon

I have a pair of the new R820x due in today. Excited to see how they perform. The integrated telemetry is intriguing.

Gryf

This is all really good information! Looks like I'll be safe going with Orange.

Thanks much,

Gryf

PS: Just ordered three R615Xs.

Last edited:

FroggerJon

I landed it!
I'm going to add on to what has been said. I've got 8 OrangeRX in all my small plane and multirotors for the last 2 years. I've run them CPPM, Sbus, & PWM on both DSM2 and DSMX with multiple radios and they have all performed flawlessly.

Partsman

Orange rx

A group of us (5) probably have 40 6 channel orange receivers and never have a problem except for probably flying too far away once or twice - or maybe it was our eye sight lol
In fact the only receiver problem has been using an ar8000 spektrum - probably a brown out

Winglet

I use the Orange/DX6 combination exclusively on EVERYTHING. (I own about 20 of them) Never an issue.