So, You Want to Build Your First Balsa Plane? Start HERE!

Turbojoe

Elite member
I wouldn't call it polluting exactly - just redirecting the flow of information over the banks a bit :)

Yeah, that's it! :)

Maybe we should ask for the 3D printing questions to be removed? They could confuse newbies that read the thread for its original intent. I feel bad for dragging it off topic.

Joe

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
No problem, once the actual topic is fully completed this thread will be locked and fade off into the background.

RCman50

family, faith, foam, fun!
Hey Joker and fellow FT'ers,
Was wondering if this thread has any additional info elsewhere? I am having a he?% of a time trying to put the covering (aerolite) on my dandy fuse. I haven't even tried the wing yet. I'm getting very deterred and don't want this thing shelved because I have other kits to build and love the building process. It keeps sticking together i used a towel to help stop static. I tried to hold the side I wasn't using with pins but it just tore. Any advice? Is the fuse all supposed to be one piece or do you do it in sides or pieces? I'm ready to paint it like the instructions call out and move on but I want it to look awesome not just ok. And I have the patience I'm just affraid of running out of covering, I have 1 full roll, and a trim pack of a different color. Tried uploading pic but cant I'll try again.
Thanks,
Dustin

Turbojoe

Elite member
Get out the baby powder. Remove the clear layer from the covering. Lay out the piece you'll be applying. Sprinkle baby powder on the adhesive side and smear it around with your fingers until the whole piece feels silky smooth. Now wipe it off with a paper towel and iron it on. It won't stick together unless you hit it with heat. The baby powder won't affect adhesion either. I've been using this method with SoLite for years. Don't try to use one big piece on the fuse. Use one piece for each flat area and overlap the edges just slightly.

Joe

RCman50

Ah ha!! Thank you so much turbojoe. I've been trying one piece and its a nightmare. Will try and report back.
Thank you so much
Dustin

RCman50

Thanks turbojoe, i wont get to attempt another try at a cover job until later tonight or tomorrow morning. Fathers day function with family. Happy early Father's Day to all the balsa building Fathers out there.
Dustin

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I'm finally getting off my butt and trying to complete what I started. :rolleyes: 3 of the first 4 posts I did are now fairly complete, with 1 left to go. Then, this may finally be worthy of being a sticky in the balsa forum! :)

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Thanks to the admins for sticky-a-fying this thread, hopefully it helps others in the future get back to the building roots with balsa. My plan is to still go back occasionally and add/change those first posts in an attempt to keep links working, keep the info relevant, etc.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I may have posted this info in the past, but a reminder is always good when it comes to quality building tools. Fourmost Products makes some very useful tools, as shown below. I've had their Miter Saw and Miter Sander for a few years, and today I saw their Miter Cut at a swap meet and jumped on it. For $5.00 it's WAY below retail price, and other than being slightly discolored it was in great shape. It uses a standard razor blade and works as a chop-saw, perfect for cutting smaller sticks. These tools run somewhere around $25-30/each, and as people move away from balsa builds to the (b)ARFs they may make their way to swap meets more often, so keep your eyes open! :)

thumbnail_IMG_8316.jpg

The Miter Saw is the most useful of the 3 tools (in my opinion), and it sees a lot of action on my balsa builds.

thumbnail_IMG_8317.jpg

The Miter Sander isn't quite as useful (again just my opinion), but still sees it's share of action.

thumbnail_IMG_8318.jpg

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Based on the favorable reviews by others (and that they're a focus in the 2019 Balsa Build Along) I'm going to be building a Willy Nillies kit and hope to find it's good and easy enough to be considered a "perfect first kit" type product. I'd love to update the first couple posts in this thread to remove Mountain Models, update some pictures, etc. to keep it up to date. From what I'm seeing so far I think their kits are going to be perfect for this application.

OliverW

Legendary member
Based on the favorable reviews by others (and that they're a focus in the 2019 Balsa Build Along) I'm going to be building a Willy Nillies kit and hope to find it's good and easy enough to be considered a "perfect first kit" type product. I'd love to update the first couple posts in this thread to remove Mountain Models, update some pictures, etc. to keep it up to date. From what I'm seeing so far I think their kits are going to be perfect for this application.
They are super easy! I built my fuse in 15 minutes.

Turbojoe

Elite member

I've been a rabid Mountain Models fan since 2000/2001 when Doug Binder started the company. Brian bought MM and did a great job for many years but since he finished his engineering degree and got a good paying job Mountain Models has taken a back seat. Response to e-mails and shipping orders out in a reasonable time frame seems to be the main issue. I've had to deal with it too. The kits are still awesome. They're just harder to get shipped to you. :cautious:

So far I've only built the Willy Nillies Super Sport but I was more than happy that a plane kit in this small size could have such easy, uncomplicated construction AND be as strong as it is. In the past the Mountain Models Switchback would have always been my suggestion for a first balsa build. I now have to give the nod to just about any of the Willy Nillies kits. It's easy to see that Doug uses the same basic construction methods for all the kits. Hey, it works great! Why change it? I know I'll be building (and suggesting) many more of these kits.

Joe

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
It's unfortunate that Brian hasn't sold the company/plans/etc to somebody else that would make them with the care and skill that he did, as their designs are great. The Switchback is a darn-near perfect park flyer and I wouldn't mind having a spare unbuilt kit on the shelf in case my already built plane ever gets destroyed. I just can't deal with their extreme shipping delays and lack of communication. It took over a month to get a refund on the last kit I tried to buy from them, and that followed a month of asking when the kit was going to ship.

I've been a rabid Mountain Models fan since 2000/2001 when Doug Binder started the company. Brian bought MM and did a great job for many years but since he finished his engineering degree and got a good paying job Mountain Models has taken a back seat. Response to e-mails and shipping orders out in a reasonable time frame seems to be the main issue. I've had to deal with it too. The kits are still awesome. They're just harder to get shipped to you. :cautious:

Turbojoe

Elite member
The Switchback is a darn-near perfect park flyer and I wouldn't mind having a spare unbuilt kit on the shelf in case my already built plane ever gets destroyed.

Over the years I've given away 5 or 6 built Switchbacks. I just looked in the back room and counting the Switchback SR. I still have 5 ready to fly. I also have 3 unbuilt SB kits hermetically sealed in a Pelican military foot locker. (10 more MM kits in there keeping them company. ;)). Nope, none are for sale.... The SB will always be a favorite for me. The V-1 wing design is super easy to scratch build too as I've made several.

Joe

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Here's my Switchback, with the 3D-ish style wing done up like a T-28. This plane took a big nose-first crash the year I built it, but it was re-built and hides the damage well. After this pic was taken I added black covering to the top of the nose, plus the distinctive black exhaust areas over the wings.

137265_308b379a2764276647926b9235e13e3d.jpg

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I too have loved the Mountain Models kits I've built, and I was lucky enough to have an unexpected work bonus show up right when he first announced he was going to sell the company and picked up 7 kits of various types for a rainy day. :D

I agree with putting Willy Nillie's kits as a top recommendation for new builders now. I also recommend Steven's Aeromodel kits for new builders, but they are more expensive and aren't designed for super cheap and available mini quad motors so the electronics are all more expensive too. And Laine's Planes Cuda is a super easy build even for a first timer, but it's very far from a noob level plane to fly! :D