Soarer XXL

Arcfyre

Elite member
So I built a simple soarer wing, but added a center section (white) to increase total wingspan to 90". Have not flown this yet, but here it is next to a Storch wing for reference.
20180926_212749.jpg

Arcfyre

Elite member
As soon as the weather is a little better I will maiden it. Rain yesterday and very strong winds today. Hopefully this weekend. I'm eager too lol.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Nice job, I would suggest adding additional reinforcement if you haven't already, because I think the original soarer only had a foam spar.

basslord1124

Master member
dude the galaxy is awsome! I'm thinking about making one it's such an amazing plane.

I know. I'm pretty excited about it. My fuse is mostly built, and I'm gonna order the electronics for it today. I've always wanted a nice glider to have in my collection, and I can do this one for not a lot of money.

Arcfyre

Elite member
dude the galaxy is awsome! I'm thinking about making one it's such an amazing plane.

I read the article on the Galaxy and found it interesting too. The only reason I didn't build that is because I already had the soarer templates cut out and I didn't feel like printing more plans lol.

Arcfyre

Elite member
Nice job, I would suggest adding additional reinforcement if you haven't already, because I think the original soarer only had a foam spar.

Yeah it still only has a foam spar. This build was kind of a spur of the moment thing that I decided to do. Let's see if it flies at all then I can think about improving it.

Arcfyre

Elite member
OK folks, here it is! Maiden flight video, with many thanks to my lovely wife/camerawoman/video editor. There was a storm rolling in, and it was much windier than I would have liked for a maiden, but she flew! Very floaty, as expected. Very slow to answer the rudder, also expected. Looking forward to flying again when the weather is more cooperative.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
OK folks, here it is! Maiden flight video, with many thanks to my lovely wife/camerawoman/video editor. There was a storm rolling in, and it was much windier than I would have liked for a maiden, but she flew! Very floaty, as expected. Very slow to answer the rudder, also expected. Looking forward to flying again when the weather is more cooperative.

Pretty cool. You're on to something! That would be nice for an FPV trip. I place my battery on top of the fuselage so that it doesn't take unnecessary hits.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Great pictures! and super flight.
Are you considering increasing the rudder size or increasing the length of the fuselage? are you worried about a Thermal-away (like a fly away, but through a thermal)?
I imagine when this catches one, watchout!

Arcfyre

Elite member
Great pictures! and super flight.
Are you considering increasing the rudder size or increasing the length of the fuselage? are you worried about a Thermal-away (like a fly away, but through a thermal)?
I imagine when this catches one, watchout!

Hasn't been a problem as of yet, but I fly over water a lot so there aren't too many thermals. I need to find a place to fly that has some good updrafts, that's for sure!

As for the control surfaces, I have not increased the size, but I did increase the rudder throw to 150%. Increasing the size of the control surfaces might be a better solution though: less aerodynamic drag for the same control input.