What video for my aviation YT channel? (Why Not??)

• Simulator things

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Video game things

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • mess around

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • all of the above

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters

tesseract

Master member
I am in need of a very cheap RC TRainer plane and I'm not that keen on scratchbuilding as I'm low on glue. Something under 75$, and small. Does anyone have a suggestion of which plane I should get? Thanks in advance!!
If you can read this, you can eat a cookie :>

Tech3811

Honestly, the only thing under 75 dollars that will fly pretty well is something scratch built, in which I would recommend the Flight Test Tiny Trainer or Simple Scout. If you really don't want to scratch build, the I would recommend something over $100. There are definitely smaller planes that are under $75, but I personally have had very bad experiences with them. If you already have the electronics for a scratch-built plane (motor, ESC, transmitter, receiver, servos, battery), then you can pretty much make a great flying and very rewarding plane for under $10. If you don't have these electronics, you can get pretty much all of them under 100 on amazon, or just buy a Flight Test "Power Pack" for whatever plane you choose to build. Then you can make a LOT of planes for cheap and just switch the electronics between them. If you still choose to buy one online, I would recommend: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0812CDSDY/?tag=lstir-20 This is a very forgiving plane, but it is still 4 channel and can be very fun for stunts as well. This is the equivalent of one of the Flight Test beginner planes. I would still recommend scratch building, so reply if you want some links for some good quality electronics. Have fun flying!

Timmy

Legendary member
Honestly, the only thing under 75 dollars that will fly pretty well is something scratch built, in which I would recommend the Flight Test Tiny Trainer or Simple Scout. If you really don't want to scratch build, the I would recommend something over $100. There are definitely smaller planes that are under $75, but I personally have had very bad experiences with them. If you already have the electronics for a scratch-built plane (motor, ESC, transmitter, receiver, servos, battery), then you can pretty much make a great flying and very rewarding plane for under $10. If you don't have these electronics, you can get pretty much all of them under 100 on amazon, or just buy a Flight Test "Power Pack" for whatever plane you choose to build. Then you can make a LOT of planes for cheap and just switch the electronics between them. If you still choose to buy one online, I would recommend: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0812CDSDY/?tag=lstir-20 This is a very forgiving plane, but it is still 4 channel and can be very fun for stunts as well. This is the equivalent of one of the Flight Test beginner planes. I would still recommend scratch building, so reply if you want some links for some good quality electronics. Have fun flying!
Agreed

tesseract

Master member
I looked at it- looks cool!

tesseract

Master member
Ok! But Please consider scratch-building as well!!!
i know... on my other computer now
I've tried scratchbuilding 3x now but they didn't really fly- one broke midair, the other was the mustang, and the last floated to earth like a paarachute

Timmy

Legendary member
i know... on my other computer now
I've tried scratchbuilding 3x now but they didn't really fly- one broke midair, the other was the mustang, and the last floated to earth like a paarachute
It takes a while to get it to work, and you need to pay attention to detail, like CG, prop direction and so on. Once you get the hang of it, building the plane yourself is MUCH more rewarding.

Tech3811

You can defiantly build planes from cardboard, but I would advise that you use plans the are designed for use with cardboard.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Back in the glow fuel days, I build several planes from cardboard. It has many of the same properties of foamboard. FB is a better product, a bit lighter and has a smother finish. Cardboard planes will fly just as well.

Tech3811

Back in the glow fuel days, I build several planes from cardboard. It has many of the same properties of foamboard. FB is a better product, a bit lighter and has a smother finish. Cardboard planes will fly just as well.
Yes, but the slight weight and thickness differences do matter, so build off of plans especially for cardboard. Flite Test plans do not work with cardboard.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
strength to weight ratio on cardboard isn't as generally high as foam, but yes you can build stuff out of cardboard.

FT even did one plane from a Pizza box.

tesseract

Master member
Yes, but the slight weight and thickness differences do matter, so build off of plans especially for cardboard. Flite Test plans do not work with cardboard.
Yes, true- cardboard doesn't "Fold over the spar" as well, the fold is always crooked, and you can't bevel cut. BUT it's stronger if you use it right! I should try making balsa-style builds with it.