Some expert: Wingspan?

RaavHimself

So my question is, what would be a suggested wingspan for a plane with a takeoff weight of aprox 1.1 Kg and wings with the profile of the ones in the plan.
Wings have an 8 mm camber from the servo to the tip. Vertical stab projected width is 400 mm, but I don't know if it's important
I'd rather it be a slow flier, but ... whatever. I'll be happy if I make it fly at any speed,

Attachments

• WingFoamSheet.pdf
    72.5 KB · Views: 0

flyingkelpie

Elite member
So my question is, what would be a suggested wingspan for a plane with a takeoff weight of aprox 1.1 Kg and wings with the profile of the ones in the plan.
Wings have an 8 mm camber from the servo to the tip. Vertical stab projected width is 400 mm, but I don't know if it's important
I'd rather it be a slow flier, but ... whatever. I'll be happy if I make it fly at any speed,
Can't open it sorry...

RaavHimself

Motor 2216 810KV, Props up to 10 inch Batt 3S or 4S

Attachments

• WingFoamSheet.jpg
    WingFoamSheet.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 0

RaavHimself

Well, the thing is a mixed contraption. Carbon fibre, 3D printed parts and Foam wings and surfaces.
The thing is... I got to the airplanes from the mini quad world, and I am pretty exhausted of rebuilding planes. I spend way more time building than flying, and it's not that I don´t like building, but enough is enough.
So I tried 3D printed planes. And It's even much worse. Printing those thin walls is a pain in the ass, and boy, you better land that thing all right or those two weeks hours printing the thing... so you blame it on the brittleness of the PLA and you try PETG with equal results,
But hey!, not everything is so bad about 3D printing. You get the geometries and the angles perfect (and effortlessly) every time,
So that's it. I am using 3D printed parts to hold the CF rods and tubes that make the frame of the plane. The rest is more or less cosmetics,No glue needed. The idea is when crashing, just to break some sacrificial plastic knot, or perhaps some CF rod. A couple of hours of work.
1.1 Kg is the heaviest config, with landing gear, pilot and fairing. In the lightest config I expect it to weight around 900 g. I can´t tell you exactly because I am still waiting for the carbon fibre tubes from China

Attachments

• APlane2.jpg
    APlane2.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 0
  • APlane1.jpg
    APlane1.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Parts.jpeg
    Parts.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 0

RaavHimself

I think I could shave off 30% of the weight of the plastic parts making them not so tough (thick walled and solid) and perhaps printing with CF-PETG (I am using PETG now), but better safe than sorry...
The other idea of my design is that it should allow me to try different configs very easily. Say I want to try a V tail? or a cannard? In only one day I could design the knots, print the parts and be flying the thing. If it ever flies...

mdcerdan

Elite member
For a 1.1Kg plane I would go for a 1.4m winspan no less.
I don´t like flying bricks and a 1,1kg is a brick. So you will need a large wing.

RaavHimself

For a 1.1Kg plane I would go for a 1.4m winspan no less.
I don´t like flying bricks and a 1,1kg is a brick. So you will need a large wing.
1.4 m. No problem making the wings bigger 'cos they can be detached. but when you say a brick you mean underpowered? Also, with 1.4 m wingspan is total length 850 acceptable?
Weight is as follows

CF Tubes - 75 g (projected)
Tail 48 g
Wing 175 g (projected)
Batt 115 g
Main 480 g (includes frame, nacelle, motor, esc, video system, all wirings, RX

Minimum take off weight 893 g

Pilot 28g
LandinGearForward 35 g
Landing Gear Rear 94g
FuselageFairing - 118 g

Maximum Take off weight 1168g