Some More Questions for David...

Great to have Dave on the podcast again! I had a few questions myself:

1. What is David's opinion of the new TBS Crossfire? How does it compare to leading 433mHz systems like the EzUHF?

2. Are there any special caveats when racing with the Mini Tricopter?

3. How does the new tricopter servo setup tool work?

Thanks again for bringing David back on the podcast!

Last edited:

s0berlin

Well I am not quite sure this is the place or if this thread died. But what would be a good plane to get into DLG, keeping in mind I live in the prairies and as much as I like the idea of a Dreamflight libelle it might not be the right place to start. I know David and other podcast hosts have a good grasp on rc sailplanes and DLG. I am looking not necessarily for the cheapest option but the best bang for the buck in terms of buying a DLG, I'm already hooked on gliding and motor gliders but looking to make a jump into DLG. Thanks

crash bandicoot

s0berlin, the Hobbyking 1m DLG pnp is for sale for $50 US from the Arkansas warehouse (US East). I'm not sure what kind of shipping problems you run into with that, but it's a steal for a DLG. You may want to stiffen some of the structure, as some people have issues with it, but it is still worth it. Also, we get some good DLG in the southern prairies down here!

Well I am not quite sure this is the place or if this thread died. But what would be a good plane to get into DLG, keeping in mind I live in the prairies and as much as I like the idea of a Dreamflight libelle it might not be the right place to start. I know David and other podcast hosts have a good grasp on rc sailplanes and DLG. I am looking not necessarily for the cheapest option but the best bang for the buck in terms of buying a DLG, I'm already hooked on gliding and motor gliders but looking to make a jump into DLG. Thanks

The DreamFlight Libelle DLG is a great option as a starter: http://www.dream-flight.com/products/libelle-dlg. The Hobbyking 1m is a nice one too, but David recommends starting out with a "full-size" as opposed to a "mini" DLG. Speaking of minis, there's the Alula, also by DreamFlight: http://www.dream-flight.com/products/alula-trek

Good luck!

eXpire

Flightcontroller on Fixed Wings

Hi all together,

i pretty new to rc planes and want to upgrade my ft tiny trainer with some gadgets.

The first thing is, i wan't some stabilisation - i think all fc's can do that by now. But on my next steps i would like to add fpv and therefor gps on an osd (to find my plane - i already lost a micro quadcopter in the field). It would be nice to upgrade one day to stuff like mission planer and maybe antennatracker at "stupid" stuff like that, but this only in a far far future.

I currently look at the mini naze32 based on this post
or the apm mini 3.1 (shop link - painless video painless videl) but i'm not quite sure if this is still suportet because it sais somthing with ardu pilot 2.6 and on planes.arudpilot they say apm 2.6 is depricated. i'm kind of confused and maybe you could help me a little bit on this one.

ps: i'm looking for a low budget solution - and 200$ for the pixhawk is a little the prise of my whole rc fleet ;)

thank alot and keep up the slow motion

Hi all together,

i pretty new to rc planes and want to upgrade my ft tiny trainer with some gadgets.

The first thing is, i wan't some stabilisation - i think all fc's can do that by now. But on my next steps i would like to add fpv and therefor gps on an osd (to find my plane - i already lost a micro quadcopter in the field). It would be nice to upgrade one day to stuff like mission planer and maybe antennatracker at "stupid" stuff like that, but this only in a far far future.

I currently look at the mini naze32 based on this post
or the apm mini 3.1 (shop link - painless video painless videl) but i'm not quite sure if this is still suportet because it sais somthing with ardu pilot 2.6 and on planes.arudpilot they say apm 2.6 is depricated. i'm kind of confused and maybe you could help me a little bit on this one.

ps: i'm looking for a low budget solution - and 200$ for the pixhawk is a little the prise of my whole rc fleet ;)

thank alot and keep up the slow motion

Welcome to the Forum :)!

If you're looking for stabilization, all you need is a gyro on each axis -- roll, pitch and yaw (http://flitetest.com/articles/gyro-on-a-plane). This will help combat outside forces like wind and updrafts/downdrafts. If you want a system that will keep the wings level and the attitude constant, you'll need an accelerometer that's calibrated to know what "level" is. That way, when you take your hands off the sticks it will always return the aircraft to level flight. However, if you want true heading hold, altitude hold and return-to-home functions, you'll need a compass (magnetometer), barometer and GPS, respectively.

While the APM software is no longer being developed, the current firmware versions that are compatible with older boards are stable and there are many ArduPilot compatible boards that you can obtain off sites like eBay for around $80, like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/161355...7290-0%26rvr_id%3D1071164343203&ul_noapp=true (that's the first one that came up when I searched "APM 2.6".). The APM software is a bit of a learning curve, but the functionality is great and it's very versatile. However, if you're not flying to the edges of radio and video range limits (where return to home is VERY useful :)), a simple OSD with an arrow to point you in the direction of home and a current sensor to tell you your battery voltage will suffice. Flite Test did an episode on OSDs: http://flitetest.com/articles/flite-test-ezosd-on-screen-display

One thing that you might want to consider is getting a larger, more stable platform if you want to lift extra weight like an OSD or autopilot. The FT Explorer is what I'm using for experimenting and it works really well -- I am amazed at how much weight it lifts.

Good luck :D!

crash bandicoot

I want to know if his slo mo time channel is still going. I'd really like to see him crash an EDF foamy at full tilt into a chain link fence at full speed in glorious HD slo mo

eXpire

Welcome to the Forum :)!

If you're looking for stabilization, all you need is a gyro on each axis -- roll, pitch and yaw (http://flitetest.com/articles/gyro-on-a-plane). This will help combat outside forces like wind and updrafts/downdrafts. If you want a system that will keep the wings level and the attitude constant, you'll need an accelerometer that's calibrated to know what "level" is. That way, when you take your hands off the sticks it will always return the aircraft to level flight. However, if you want true heading hold, altitude hold and return-to-home functions, you'll need a compass (magnetometer), barometer and GPS, respectively.

[...]
One thing that you might want to consider is getting a larger, more stable platform if you want to lift extra weight like an OSD or autopilot. The FT Explorer is what I'm using for experimenting and it works really well -- I am amazed at how much weight it lifts.

Good luck :D!

Hi and big thank you for your feedback. It took me a while to continue the project but i'm almost there. I bought a Naze32 10 dof clone and a gps neo6. Its now all in my ft tiny trainer (ok, some of it on top - stupid naze doesn't fit inside :eek: :eek: :eek:). My final problem is a cold soldering point somewhere between naze and receiver. The Patric E Baseflight seems to work realy great on the bench.