some of my builds ...

quorneng

Master member
Talking of wall collections......
WallMar20a.JPG
WallMar20b.JPG

WallMar20c.JPG

Only three are 'commercial', a Hobby King Slow Stick, a Multiplex Easy Fly glider and a Lidl chuck glider both of which I significantly modified and converted to electric.
These are all flyable. There are a few more not shown that are not!

quorneng

Master member
Not sure about "Without a mandatory rebuild".
I can honest say only two of the 'home designs' have not required significant repairs, the Handley Page HP115 and the Airbus A350 (fuselage far right in 3rd pic, wing not shown) but to be fair they are so ridiculously not crash resistant they have only been flown in those few and far between ideal conditions. ;)

riyasen

Not sure about "Without a mandatory rebuild".
I can honest say only two of the fm 'home designs' have not required significant repairs, the Handley Page HP115 and the Airbus A350 (fuselage far right in 3rd pic, wing not shown) but to be fair they are so ridiculously not crash resistant they have only been flown in those few and far between ideal conditions. ;)

I have one RC but do not have enough space to launch

BoredGuy

Talking of wall collections......
View attachment 162532 View attachment 162533
View attachment 162534
Only three are 'commercial', a Hobby King Slow Stick, a Multiplex Easy Fly glider and a Lidl chuck glider both of which I significantly modified and converted to electric.
These are all flyable. There are a few more not shown that are not!
That is a LOT of planes. Btw is that an F105 thud in the first pic? What about the two delta wing jets in the second one?

quorneng

Master member
BoredGuy
No its not an F105 although it would have probably filled a similar role. Its a Hawker P1121.
The so called Super Hunter. Only a mock up was completed although the prototype was well advanced but it fell foul of the 1957 White Paper that killed most new UK aircraft development in favour of using missiles for everything.
Mockup.jpg

Although cancelled Hawker continued as a private venture for several months. The prototype's remains still exist in the 'not for display' hanger at the RAF Cosford museum.
24May16.jpg

Not technically an EDF but a ducted prop. A 4x4.5 2 blade buried in the fuselage.
The two deltas are the Fairey Delta 2 which held the world speed record of 1132 mph in 1956 but nothing followed.
14Jun29.JPG

All Depron, my first true EDF. It has a 55 mm EDF.
And the Handley Page HP 115

A 1960s development project to investigate the slow speed characteristics of extreme sweep deltas that was considered the only way a supersonic passenger plane would ever be achieved. Only one built. It still exists. Neil Armstrong, ever the test pilot, asked to fly it but NASA said "no" as he was preparing for his Moon mission. He did eventually fly it in 1970.
All Depron and very light also with a 55 mm EDF it flies nicely with a spectacular roll rate.
Sorry for the long reply but you did ask. :D

BoredGuy

BoredGuy
No its not an F105 although it would have probably filled a similar role. Its a Hawker P1121.
The so called Super Hunter. Only a mock up was completed although the prototype was well advanced but it fell foul of the 1957 White Paper that killed most new UK aircraft development in favour of using missiles for everything.
View attachment 198925
Although cancelled Hawker continued as a private venture for several months. The prototype's remains still exist in the 'not for display' hanger at the RAF Cosford museum.
View attachment 198929
Not technically an EDF but a ducted prop. A 4x4.5 2 blade buried in the fuselage.
The two deltas are the Fairey Delta 2 which held the world speed record of 1132 mph in 1956 but nothing followed.
View attachment 198928
All Depron, my first true EDF. It has a 55 mm EDF.
And the Handley Page HP 115
View attachment 198930
A 1960s development project to investigate the slow speed characteristics of extreme sweep deltas that was considered the only way a supersonic passenger plane would ever be achieved. Only one built. It still exists. Neil Armstrong, ever the test pilot, asked to fly it but NASA said "no" as he was preparing for his Moon mission. He did eventually fly it in 1970.
All Depron and very light also with a 55 mm EDF it flies nicely with a spectacular roll rate.
Sorry for the long reply but you did ask. :D
Thanks, that was a very informative reply!

quorneng

Master member
Kartman24
It is a DH 91 Albatross. All Depron scratch built with a modest balsa spar. 4 x 2205 'drone' motors driving 7x6 props. It also has retracts.
13May19A.JPG

Light so it has sufficient power but tricky handling. Crashed badly twice. Although repaired it is currently 'retired'.

quorneng

Master member
With true Depron now hard/impossible to get I have built up a collection of Hawker EDFs made from 5 mm XPS, actually laminate flooring underlay. Light, big sheets, rather brittle but admirably cheap!
Hawkers1.jpg

Right to Left. The development of the Hawker Hunter over 9 years, 1945 to 1954. All to the same scale.
Sea Hawk (55mm EDF), P1052 swept wing Sea Hawk (55mm EDF), P1082 swept wing Sea Hawk with tail exhaust, Prototype Hunter (50 mm EDF), Hunter F6 'Treble One Black Arrows' (50 mm EDF).
All EDF duct work and nose cones are 3D printed. There is no balsa, ply or carbon in any of them, all just 5 mm XPS.

Kartman24

Can you give me some more specs on the Albatross, what span, flying weight, no of cells etc, interested in doing a 4 engined aircraft at around 55" span.........M

quorneng

Master member
Kartman24
I got the props wrong they are 6x4.5 not 7x6!
The Albatross has a span of 66" (1675 mm) and weighs 28.7 oz (813g) with a 2200 mAh 3s. Full power is 30A, 325W giving an amazing 180W/lb.
The skin for both wing and fuselage is almost exclusively 2 mm Depron over printed ribs and formers.
Ribs1.JPG

It has 2 mm tapered hard balsa top and bottom spar flange set flush with the wing surface.
WingRHribs.JPG

The engine nacelles are printed.
2PartNacelle.JPG

Six 3.7 g servos, one for each aileron, elevator half and rudder.
To save weight it uses four tiny Favorite 20A OPTO ESCs and a single 5A UBEC all mounted at the centre of the wing to be close to the battery. Including the retracts the resultant wiring in the wing is a bit of a nightmare.
It had radio issues which meant just three flights & three serious crashes! A far from ideal situation on a structure that has virtually no crash resistance, hence its now 'retired' state.
Overall a bit of a disappointment but when you explore the technical limits it does not always work out.
I hope this helps.

By the way the next 4 motor lightweight worked out well enough. ;)