Some questions about 5.8 RX:s hardware.

daspunner

I am thinking of building a really compact groundstation. Have not started any building yet, just exploring options.

My first revelation when I was scouring the internet was that most modules intended for fatshark goggles are based on the same chipset. Is that true for RX:s meant for fixed installations too?

If so a "mobile" could work as well in a ground station, right? Smaller and less bulky footprint, right?

And a product like this:
Clearboost

Anyone who wanna share experiences with it or similar ones?

/Dave

Last edited:

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
I don't think that Clearboost device will work at all... Probably why it's discontinued. A good set of antennae and a quality diversity receiver will serve you much better. I'm not familiar with any of the ground station equipment being offered other than the Clearview (which definitely does not use the open source chipset) but I wouldn't hesitate to use a LaForge or TrueD in that application. Even the cheaper Eachine and banggood models will work well with upgraded firmware. Don't cheap out on the antennae though.

Fyathyrio

The best marketing in the world will not beat physics, there is no way that clearboost thing can got600mW range out of 25mW. If building a ground station, just grab a good diversity receiver and get your antennas up in the air as much as possible.

I have heard that the Fatshart goggle receivers aren't that good, since they don't have to be due to generally short range with quads.

What are your goals with this ground station, and what type of flying?

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
I have heard that the Fatshart goggle receivers aren't that good, since they don't have to be due to generally short range with quads.

I'm curious where you heard that... There are definite advantages to a ground station - fixed antenna position and elevation come to mind, but I don't see the receivers being any more sensitive or higher quality just because they have a different form factor. Many people fly long range with Fatsharks using both multirotors and planes.