Some severe drone wobble

Wheelz

Hey guys, I'm having some severe issues with my freshly built gremlin. I did everything that TJ did in the video and in BF it all checks out. But after I disconnect from the computer and plug the battery in and connect to my transmitter and actually arm it the whole thing starts to wobble violently (almost lost my face). Any ideas for troubleshooting, it's my first quad build and it's kinda bumming me out that I can't get it to fly.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Does it fly and wobble or does it just flip over on the ground?

If it flies and wobbles, cut your gains by 50% and start tuning.

If it just spins out or flips over on the ground, check that your ESCs are connected to the proper pads on the flight controller.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
If you're not running dshot, make sure you calibrated the ESCs. I've had wobbles that looked like high I gain wobbles because the ESCs weren't properly calibrated.

Wheelz

It just spins out and wobbles on the ground. So what your saying is I might have to re-solder my esc's in a different order? Is there not a way to re map them?

Wheelz

I've calibrated escs a few times now I don't think it's that, but I could be wrong, it is my first build and I'm not to sure of what I'm doing

cranialrectosis

Mentor
No worries Wheelz. Some of us have done this 20-30 times.

If you can post video of what is happening (good high def, well lit, stable, not vertical video) it may help.

Most flight controllers have an arrow pointing to the front of the copter. Is your flight controller oriented correctly on the copter? If you turned the flight controller so you could get to the USB port, you have to tell the software or your copter will spin.

When you have the copter connected to a computer and are looking at the software (betaflight, cleanflight, kiss whatever), you should be able to run each motor by itself (with the props off). When you start motor 1, does motor 1 start? When you start motor 2 does motor 2 start etc..? This is critical. The flight controller works because when it calls up motor 1 it knows where motor 1 sits in relation to the flight controller. If you connect motor 1 to the motor 2 pad on the flight controller (or any other variant), the copter won't fly.

Do all motors start at EXACTLY the same throttle input? If any of your motors 'jitter' stop and re-do the solder joints between the motor and the ESC. These connections need to be perfectly soldered.

While your copter is connected to the computer you should be able to see your sticks move in the transmitter tab. Do you have a reversed channel on your radio? If you are pushing right yaw and the copter is getting left yaw, the copter will spin on the ground.

Do you have all your motors spinning the proper directions? You should have two motors spinning CW and two CCW. The writing on the props ALWAYS faces up. If you have a motor spinning the wrong direction or a prop upside down you will spin or flip. An upside down prop tends to howl.

Start here. Post video if you can and lets get this in the air! :)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
This is what it looks like when you don't point the Flight controller forward and forget to tell it what direction it IS pointing. so if yours looked anything like this you have your answer.

In proper etiquette for our clan when we do things not quite as they should. I am forced to admit... "Im a Codfish.... Bloop Bloop"

Wheelz

Thank you so much, will definitely take a video later, I think your right I did have to change the orientation of the board but I figured it would change the motors too, because the board shows forward as forward and all my controls seem to work right, but during motor test they aren't the right motors.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
Thank you so much, will definitely take a video later, I think your right I did have to change the orientation of the board but I figured it would change the motors too, because the board shows forward as forward and all my controls seem to work right, but during motor test they aren't the right motors.

This will do it every time. If you rotate the board 90* you tell the software, but motor 1 is still motor 1. Let the software do the tweaking. :)

On the bright side, you are one step closer!

Wheelz

Awesome, could I get away with remapping the motors or is there a way to? I just ask because my esc wires are cut in a way for minimal messiness

Wheelz

Finally got it remapped, for some reason my custom mix wouldn't work on it so I decided to use resource codes instead.... And it works!!! I got it to hover without crazy wobbliness, thank you guys so much, for my first build I got all sorts of problems but I'm happy I stuck through, I'm excited to maiden it tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get a video or some pictures at the least.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Glad you slogged thru it mate. :applause: That is a true test if the hobby is going to be a long term thing. Its even better when you find success on something and get around to being able to enjoy the fun it can bring. Looking forward to seeing another successful community trouble shooting success video.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
Way to go Wheelz!

Warning. That feeling you get when you win one and you see your craft fly for the first time is very addictive. Mind your wallet fellow junkie. ;)

Last edited:

Wheelz

I definitely know the feeling, ever since I built my first FT plane the mini mustang I have been building, so far I've built the mini mustang, the mini Corsair, the arrow, and just got done building my ft mini guinea last week. Now I have my first quad build under my belt, well except maybe the tiny whoop I also built last week but that was no where near as complicated as a real quad. I also earned my first cut from a prop today, right between the knuckles, probably should've maidened outside but it was so windy earlier and I was getting the itch to fly. Totally worth the feeling of that maiden flight though.