Sometimes I get distracted.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I am curious if this happens to anyone else, but sometimes I lose interest in the hobby.

It's not like I decide to break up with it, sell off all my gear, and go a different direction. Just sometimes I drift away.

The last year has been that way for me. Which is weird, I've been mostly a solo type of pilot. I fly smaller electric planes. 3s 2200mah was about as big a battery as I ever needed.

You'd think that with Covid I'd have more free time to do activities that I don't need other people to enjoy. But no, last year I ended up with a lot of dusty RC equipment.

The lull is over! This year I've gotten back into the hobby in a big way, and I mean big.

I've always been a smaller electrics sort of pilot. I don't like the tedium and expense of nitro, and gas, to be honest, scared me. As I said, I was a 3s 2200mah kind of guy.

Before my hiatus, I bought a large crop duster with a gasoline engine on it, and even got a flight or two in on it. A bit before that I got the Flex Innovations Cessna 170 and was flying it on 5s 5000mah batteries. A friend gave me a deal on a Pitts that was running 12s 5000mah. Most recently I picked up a 1/4 scale PA-18 Supercub with a VVRC twin 40 gasser on it. I got several flights on the Cub this week, and it was awesome.

I'm fortunate to be allowed access to a private RC flying field. It's just far enough away that it's not worth going up for an afternoon or evening. But I am able to rush out of work on my "Friday" and take my mini camper up, and do a quick overnight trip. I'll fly some in the evening, cook a meal on the propane stove, camp out, and wake up the next day for some early morning flights. When I leave, I still have most of my weekend available to me, or more accurately, available to the wife for the honey-do lists.

So, am I alone in this on again, off again relationship with RC? Or does anyone else have similar stories?

Attachments

• 3dfarm sunrise.jpeg
    3dfarm sunrise.jpeg
    45.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 170 lights.jpeg
    170 lights.jpeg
    33.5 KB · Views: 0
  • duster lights.jpeg
    duster lights.jpeg
    25 KB · Views: 0
  • duster1.jpeg
    duster1.jpeg
    120.4 KB · Views: 0
  • trojan sunrise.jpeg
    trojan sunrise.jpeg
    71.1 KB · Views: 0
  • two big.jpeg
    two big.jpeg
    56.7 KB · Views: 0
  • cub1.jpeg
    cub1.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 0
  • camping hangar.jpeg
    camping hangar.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 0

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
well... your field must be farther then were I go (1 hour) and my 1 hour each way limits how often I go fly. (I fly small stuff, so the only reason I am not flying at a park about 5 min away is flight retractions in the area) I have had multiple hobbies in my years on this planet that have come and gone and I don't have time to keep all of them up and running.

I have also found myself more interested in FPV proximity flying (flying through/around gates, trees, etc) over LOS flying circuits. I definately understand the on/off relationship with a hobby that takes 1/2 a day to really go do.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I'm in a bit of an RC deadzone. The closest AMA field is nearly an hour from my house. It's on a military base and is loaded up with rules.

I can fly FPV anywhere, and I can fly my FT planes at the local ball field or school.

But if I want to fly my larger stuff, or with other people, my best bet is the 3D Farm. It's about an hour and a half. So it's a 3 hour round trip to visit. Which is a pretty good chunk out of the day if I wanted to go fly after work (which is literally right across the street from where I live, so yeah, I'm spoiled there).

I am working on getting a closer location, which I hope will also be a potential way to get more locals into the hobby.

JasonK

I work from home, so I am even closer to work then that. IIRC, the AMA field that I go to is about 1 hour from your place and isn't the one on the military base and is quite a bit more relaxed then it sounds that one is.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Doh Jason! I forgot you're "local" to me!

You absolutely need to visit the 3D Farm this year. They host an amazing even every October, and this year they're adding Jet Fest in November. If I don't break my EDF's before then, they'll be making the trip up.

If anyone is in the southeastern part of the U.S. you need to stop by 3D Farm. The owner is great, and very welcoming to anyone who wants to drop in and fly.

JasonK

Doh Jason! I forgot you're "local" to me!

You absolutely need to visit the 3D Farm this year. They host an amazing even every October, and this year they're adding Jet Fest in November. If I don't break my EDF's before then, they'll be making the trip up.

If anyone is in the southeastern part of the U.S. you need to stop by 3D Farm. The owner is great, and very welcoming to anyone who wants to drop in and fly.

remind me when it gets close and I can see about setting up a trip there... IIRC it is over 2 hours from me, which puts me in the 'make a full day of it' category if I plan on going.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Full day nothing! Bring something to camp in. The flying doesn't stop when the sun goes down!

Tench745

Master member
Happens to me all the time. Just like my other hobbies, I drift away for a bit until something sparks interest again.
Part of the on again, off again nature of my relationship with RC airplanes is that I'm mostly a builder but my hangar is full and I don't fly/crash often enough to make space for new builds. Couple that with a 30-40 minute drive to any of the nearby AMA fields and a general preference to fly solo... well, you get the picture.
I was trying to get a friend into the hobby so we could motivate each other, but that's gone a bit stale recently too.
It's about time for me to maiden an FT Sportster though, so fun!