Sonic Series | nnP-39

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Eagerly awaiting the plans for this. I haven't built one of your designs yet, this would be the perfect one to start with. My funfighter needs to be retired, the tail warped on me, so I've got electronics just waiting for this.

I am finalizing the plans now. I'll have them posted before the release video like I did with my full size nnP-39.

Ace13

Cant wait for this. I was planning on scaling this down on my own but now i can wait for your plans to come out.
1 Q. How come the pushrods are on the top of the wing instead of the bottom?

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
I am finalizing the plans now. I'll have them posted before the release video like I did with my full size nnP-39.

Cool. What are you using for spar material for these smaller planes? I'll need to track something down before I can build.

herk1

Trash Hauler emeritus
1 Q. How come the pushrods are on the top of the wing instead of the bottom?

So the servo linkages won't get caught in the grass on landing and strip the servo when you belly-land. These planes aren't really intended to have landing gear...because it would add drag, and the main point is speed. (although nothing's stopping you from adding landing gear if you want). On some of the Skyangel planes, even the professional plane designer wasn't smart enough to put the pushrod linkages on top...so you had to do a mod that involved flipping the servo around, trim some foam, and redo the control horn.

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
Sounds like this will take the Might Mini PowerPod. I have a multistart 2206-2150 baby beast which might work well in it. On 3 cell it screams my tiny trainer.. Unlimited vertical.. LOL

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Cool. What are you using for spar material for these smaller planes? I'll need to track something down before I can build.

The same aluminum I use in my speed wings. The Sonic Series essentially has a mini speed wing with the same design. If you will only be using a mighty mini type power setup, then nothing but foam is needed.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
So the servo linkages won't get caught in the grass on landing and strip the servo when you belly-land. These planes aren't really intended to have landing gear...because it would add drag, and the main point is speed. (although nothing's stopping you from adding landing gear if you want). On some of the Skyangel planes, even the professional plane designer wasn't smart enough to put the pushrod linkages on top...so you had to do a mod that involved flipping the servo around, trim some foam, and redo the control horn.

Woo, I was more thoughtful than the 'pros' :)

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
What are you thinking for bipes? Pitts (model 12 preferably), Ultimate, Waco, Stearman?

My vote is for the Waco or the pitts.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
The plans are coming along nicely. I've optimized them to reduce the amount of page joining needed.

lE7qF3V.jpg

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
Sounds like this will take the Might Mini PowerPod. I have a multistart 2206-2150 baby beast which might work well in it. On 3 cell it screams my tiny trainer.. Unlimited vertical.. LOL

I am going to use the same motor on this build as my tiny trainer folded the wing at FF15 with this motor. may also need a nnspeedwing for my tiny trainer.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Who is currently planning to build a Sonic Series nnP-39?

I'd like to hear what setup you guys are going to run.

dgrigor02

Standard power pack A stuff, MT1804 or 1806, 0545 prop, 3s battery. Ran that in 60% versa and it was plenty fast for me and this size is best for our neighborhood park size.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Nic, I'm going to try it with the MT1804 2480kv and the MT2204 2300kv. I think that the MT2204 will be a winner with the Sonic Series nnP-39.

I tried to maiden the Mighty Mini MkIII with the MT2204 and there is just too much torque roll with the 60% version. I think I'm going to try it at 70%. I have to test it out in the Baby Baron yet too.