Sonic Series | nnP-39

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor

FLIGHT VIDEOS

Coming soon!

DETAILS

Hi friends.

I'll be fleshing this thread out but I wanted to get it started while I finalize the plans. For those that have followed my updates on Facebook, Instagram, other threads, or went to FF15 then you've heard about my Sonic Series at some point recently.

The Sonic Series will be a set of 650mm planes that will run on the Mighty Mini setup all the way to the 4s HK FunFighter electronics. I beta tested my first prototype at FF15 with the FunFighter setup and it rips around at over 100mph. It was turning heads all over the place with how fast and quiet it is. A crowed gathered every time I landed to ask me about what I was flying.

Here are some pictures from FF15.

gybxiWPl.jpg

pE6OMx1l.jpg

SaK1YySl.jpg

4UhoAeWl.jpg

GvbIAv7l.jpg

iBnUdCql.jpg

Take off sample:
https://instagram.com/p/5AvK6GC-Kb/

If you like this design then perhaps you’ll like some of my others as well.

SPECS

WINGSPAN
25.59in | 650mm
LENGTH
21.10in | 536mm
AVE CHORD
4.5in | 122.5mm
WING AREA
8.09sq.in | 117sq.dm
WING LOADING
16oz/sq.ft | 46g/sq.dm (Sonic Series)
CHANNELS
WEIGHT
Airframe - 5.99oz | 170g
Sonic Series - 13.05oz | 370g
ELECTRONICS
Mighty Mini - Power Pack A
MOTOR - Emax 1806
PROP - 6x3
ESC - 12a
BATTERY - 800-1000 3S
SERVOS - 3x 5g or 9g

Sonic Series
MOTOR - FunFighter 1950kv
PROP - 5.25x6.25 APC
SPINNER - https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=66780
ESC - 40a Dynam
BATTERY - 850mah 40-90c 4s or 1300mah 40c 3s
SERVOS - 3x 9g
BUILD DIFFICULTY
Beginner – You’ve never flown a plane before, let alone done a scratch build
Novice – You’ve flown a plane but have no experience with scratch building
Intermediate – You’ve flown and built a few FT style planes before
Advanced – You’ve mastered the standard FT build style and are looking for a new challenge
Expert – You’ve mastered all build techniques and aren't afraid to improvise or tackle tedious builds

The Sonic Series nnP-39 is an advanced build.
PILOT SKILL
Intermediate
MATERIALS
3 BBQ skewer
2 sheets DTFB
2 magnets
1 sheet poster board
1 12"x1/16"x1/2" aluminum - Amazon
1 heavy overhead transparency

FAQ

Can I use my Mighty Mini powerpod and electronics?
Yep! This build uses normal 9g or 5g servos like the Mighty Minis as well as the same power plant. If you're using an original MM powerpod there will be some shimming needed to get the right fit as the Sonic Series planes have a wider fuselage. I've also included plans for a larger pod as well if you'd like to build one.

Will there be a build video?
Possibly. I will have step by step photos in this thread and potentially a build video.

How scale is the Sonic Series nnP-39?
All proportions are scale except the vstab. I increased it by about 10% for stability.

Is this a good plane for a beginner to fly?
No. It is an advanced build and requires an intermediate pilot to fly.

I only see a speed wing in the plans, will there be a basic wing also?
No.

There is a plane I want you to design, what’s the best way to suggest it to you?
Please use the request form here on my site.

PLANS

Sonic Series nnP-39

PICTURES

Coming soon!

BUILD VIDEO

REVIEW

Coming soon!
STALLS

WIND

LAUNCHING/LANDING

ACROBATICS

SLOW SPEED PERFORMANCE

LOOK AND FEEL

FINAL COMMENTS

Last edited:

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
Im glad you finally got around to do this series of planes nic. They make great little pocket rocks and parkflyers. Im lovin the SS p-39 and cant wait to build the rest of the series. Awsome work man, keep the great builds coming

ruud

My vote is for the Chipmunk. (Edit: or what about a P-38 using the Mini Guinea power system...)

Last edited:

Povvercrazy

That's great news, everyone seems to want to go bigger but I think smaller planes are great.
The Tucano I've been fiddling with I think would be a great minipod craft,
your more than welcome to hijack that hahaha

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Im glad you finally got around to do this series of planes nic. They make great little pocket rocks and parkflyers. Im lovin the SS p-39 and cant wait to build the rest of the series. Awsome work man, keep the great builds coming

Yeah buddy!

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
That's great news, everyone seems to want to go bigger but I think smaller planes are great.
The Tucano I've been fiddling with I think would be a great minipod craft,
your more than welcome to hijack that hahaha

Yeah I agree. Smaller has its place too. I've been enjoying playing with them. The Tucano might be good since I'm running a new pod.. Hmm you got me thinking.

ExperimentalRC

I've always wanted to see a fairey gannet with one of hobbyking's specialized coaxial contra rotating brushless motors, and with a servo to actuate the wings, but this is too impractical to implement on smaller scaled aircraft. Even without those features I think it would be cool. The shape of the wing might be hard to easily replicate.
fairey_gannet.gif

herk1

Trash Hauler emeritus
This could be a nice way to get around how scarce bare-airframes for most of the Skyangel planes have become. I hated having to shell out $70 for the PNP kit with electronics I didn't need, after my favorite little Corsair got beyond the point of piecing back together again.

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
I need something at the other end of the spectrum. My reflexes dictate a very slow flying plane for me :). How slow can you go Nic?

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Eagerly awaiting the plans for this. I haven't built one of your designs yet, this would be the perfect one to start with. My funfighter needs to be retired, the tail warped on me, so I've got electronics just waiting for this.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
This could be a nice way to get around how scarce bare-airframes for most of the Skyangel planes have become. I hated having to shell out $70 for the PNP kit with electronics I didn't need, after my favorite little Corsair got beyond the point of piecing back together again.

This is exactly what I had in mind with this series. Many people have the guts sitting around and the Sonic Series will give you something to put them in.