Sony Action Cam - anyone using one?

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I'm trying to figure out the best option for HD capture. The idea is to attach a HD camera and CCD camera to the same pan/tilt and record what is being viewed.

I've been looking at the GoPro 3 and Liquid Image Ego, but hadn't seen the Sony Action Cam.

The latter has the lens on the thin edge, is about the same weight with the waterproof case on, has image stabilisation and a whopping 120fps @ 720p. It's also pretty good value, at about $300 delivered online or about $350 at your local electronics dealer.

Until seeing this, I was pretty set on a Liquid Image Ego for the balance of value and performance. Anyone using one?

Carbon

Elemental Madness
Yeah, it looks quite a bit larger, but from what I can see on Youtube, I actually like the image of the Sony more due to the stabilization! It looks like the Sony is a bit more susceptible to flares but other than that, the Sony is amazing!

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Oh wow... That's a really nice image... And SteadyShot seems to make a big difference. A bit like flying fpv with a stabiliser! The cam itself is smaller than it looks on that video and is pretty light weight.

Carbon

Elemental Madness
Once nice thing is the fact that it is more aerodynamic than the GoPro with a larger face. I am actually considering this cam. It all comes down to weight. Google here I come!

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Just careful on how they report weight... I think the Sony is 62 or 63g without the battery in. I didn't look for full specs, but it'd be just over 100g with the waterproof case (not that you'd need that) and battery