Sorry I've been away...

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Hey at least there you wont have to walk uphill both ways in white out conditions wearing one shoe and news paper on the other foot carrying the horse like we do here.

True, but here we have more rattlesnakes, poison oak and dry brush than you might...:) Snakes aren't TOO much of a problem right now, because they're usually sunning themselves in patches of bare dirt/rock, but you still need to keep an eye out where you're putting your feet. :)

JTarmstr

Elite member
True, but here we have more rattlesnakes, poison oak and dry brush than you might...:) Snakes aren't TOO much of a problem right now, because they're usually sunning themselves in patches of bare dirt/rock, but you still need to keep an eye out where you're putting your feet. :)

There have been 5 mountain lions sighted at my flying field, I try to keep the airplanes from landing in the woods ;).

sprzout

Mentor
There have been 5 mountain lions sighted at my flying field, I try to keep the airplanes from landing in the woods ;).

Really? Most we've had is a couple of coyotes and a rattlesnake or two at ours. We actually had a gopher snake once that decided to snooze on the runway at the far end for an hour or so; nobody was coming anywhere close to him with their landings so it wasn't even a big deal. He just chilled out at the end there, and we pretty much left him alone.

Mountain lions are another story, though...

JTarmstr

Elite member
Really? Most we've had is a couple of coyotes and a rattlesnake or two at ours. We actually had a gopher snake once that decided to snooze on the runway at the far end for an hour or so; nobody was coming anywhere close to him with their landings so it wasn't even a big deal. He just chilled out at the end there, and we pretty much left him alone.

Mountain lions are another story, though...

Yup, I fly at a friends farm and they caught them on trail cameras, never seen them though, still a good incentive not to walk in the woods unless someone has a means of defense. Snakes are so common here that they are just avoided (I live in Missouri).

sprzout

Mentor
For the most part, we avoid the snakes out here as well, but 90% of the snakes we run into are poisonous (we have a LOT of rattlesnakes out here in Southern California; I think I've seen all 4 species that live out here, from the Colorado sidewinder to the Western Diamondback...I know that if I leave them alone, they won't bother me, for the most part, but it's still something I have a healthy respect for. :)

sprzout

Mentor
Glad you made it through that episode. Here's to a long and happy life (raises glass)

Thanks! The funny thing is that, once I had the oxygen in me, and they gave me the diuretics and I started peeing off a lot of that excess fluid that had built up, I felt pretty good, just wanted to get some sleep. I felt weak for about a week afterwards, and I still have moments of weakness, not so much tired/sleepy, but more like a lack of strength. But I'm working through it, stamina's coming back up, and I feel pretty good after having lost 30 lbs (most of that being excess water weight). I've still got quite a bit to go, but it's coming down, and I'm feeling much better.

Now I just have to work on drone courses for my field!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Ya'll are making me feel better about my field! :p

We had a skunk visit our last cookout at the field (left peacefully) and other than that it's just a daily tick every time we fly. :cautious:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Hey at least there you wont have to walk uphill both ways in white out conditions wearing one shoe and news paper on the other foot carrying the horse like we do here.
You had newspapers on one foot and a shoe on the other? Only a horse to carry? You had it good! I had tissue paper on both feet, walked uphill under water both ways, and used the farts from the ox I was carrying for oxygen! You had it easy!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
sprzout, I second everyone else here in that I am very glad you are still with us. Please, continue to do what you've gotta do to remain that way.

I am glad you are here. God Bless.

Seahunter

I know I've been quiet on the forums for a little bit, and someone msged me to ask why I recently popped back up.

Well, I figured I'd spill what happened, and tell everyone to take care of themselves, as part of what happened to me:

A while back, everyone in my office was getting hit with illness. People were down with flu symptoms; weakness, vomiting, tiredness, etc.

I got hit with weakness and sleepiness, upset stomach, lots of coughing, and sinus issues, and I wasn't sleeping well. I figured, after 3 weeks off and on of feeling ok, then terrible, then ok, and back to feeling terrible again, that I was going to go see a doctor. So I went in to Urgent Care.

I get to the medical offices, start to walk across the campus, and got winded and short of breath. I stopped, outside, in what everyone else was considering freezing cold, but I was just figuring was "cool for everyone else", since I felt comfortable, temperature wise. Upon entering the Urgent Care office, one of the security guards said, "Are you feeling ok? You look terrible, like you're short of breath. Hold on, I'm going to get a nurse for you."

I was pulled into the back, where they did a blood pressure reading and found it was SKY high. Normal is supposed to be something like 120/80 to 140/90. I was 212/129. I had swelling of the legs, bloating, and it turned out my heart was barely pumping. I had all sorts of excess fluid built up around my lungs and heart, and it was making it incredibly hard for me to breathe; I was on the verge of having a heart attack.

I got diuretics, blood pressure meds, oxygen, and a breathing treatment, and spent nearly a week in the hospital, where I was told I had Congestive Heart Failure, or CHF. My heart was burdened with a bunch of excess fluids, making it hard for me to breathe, and it nearly killed me, at the age of 41.

I've come back out weaker than I was at the end of the year, but I've made progress. I'm on a low sodium diet, starting to exercise, eating better - I've dropped 30 lbs in water weight, and 4 inches on my pants after coming out of the hospital, and have made this my New Year's Resolution - don't die this year from congestive heart failure. :) Yes it's serious, and yes, I'm joking around the incident to some extent, but I've found laughter is some of the best medicine out there - you can't OD, and the refills are free.

At any rate, I want to share this with the FT family to let you know that if you don't take care of yourself, you won't be able to fly anymore. Get yourself checked out on a regular basis, keep up on your flu shots, and if you think your loved ones are likely potential "time bombs", have them get checked out. I'm a little young to be having this happen, at the age of 41, but it's a life lesson I want to pass on to everyone else...let yourself get to be like me.
I am glad that you got treatment for this condition in time. I will add you to my prayer list and hope you are around for many years to come to help our FT family with your great advice. I survived a triple bypass and two stent procedures and cancer three times, so we are fortunate to be able to share on this great forum. Take care of yourself, hope to get to meet you maybe at the new golf course FT site. Fred

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!

Hrrmmm... guess that place they call rattlesnake hill just up the road in no cause for alarm then hehe

Got our fair share of poison oak and poison ivy. Caught a nasty case last summer just outside my apartment as a welcome home from flite fest present.

Not much for dry brush around here though unless you count all the dope that gets smoked in the complex where I live.

At least you dont have Bills Law to combat every minute of every day hehe 😉😂😅😐😑😣😣

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Heart in the wrong place ? Explains a lot ;) Have you tried sleeping on your other side - let grabbity help move it back?

Glad to have you back Man!

jaredstrees

Glad you’re on the mend! I’m turning 42 soon and could not imagine going through that yet. Be safe and take care of yourself!

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Glad to hear you are getting it sorted out. Maybe your story will help someone down the road. Until I heard your tale, CHF was just a word I sluffed over. I never really knew what the symptoms were like.

mayan

Legendary member
@sprzout happy to hear that you are getting better. If at any point in time you feel like you need a punch to remind you to stick to your diet hit us up we all will make sure to keep you on track.

sprzout

Mentor
@sprzout happy to hear that you are getting better. If at any point in time you feel like you need a punch to remind you to stick to your diet hit us up we all will make sure to keep you on track.

LOL thanks, but my wife has been doing pretty good at that. She packs me a lunch and is making me dinners to make sure I don't eat the wrong things, and when we go out, one of the first things she's doing is pulling up her phone to look at the nutritional information for the restaurant we're going to. :)

For those who wonder what a good spouse/partner is (because I don't judge!), look to my wife for example. :)

mayan

Legendary member
LOL thanks, but my wife has been doing pretty good at that. She packs me a lunch and is making me dinners to make sure I don't eat the wrong things, and when we go out, one of the first things she's doing is pulling up her phone to look at the nutritional information for the restaurant we're going to. :)

For those who wonder what a good spouse/partner is (because I don't judge!), look to my wife for example. :)
Then see us as a fail safe, for extra protection.