Sound Modules!

dbrahms

Any chance you can do a show on sound modules for electrics! I would like to see what you guys come up with for a sound system on one of your birds pumping out the sounds of a Merlin or a Pratt and Whitney engine! I love electric airplanes but they are lacking in the sound department! If they can make sounds like real engines then they would be even better than the rc gassers currently available!:)

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I almost think it would be better to have on the Tx or you'd need to fly really close to hear it.

RoyBro

Mentor
I think it's a waste of weight. Why not just make the engine noise with your mouth and lips? Try not to get spit on the transmitter though.

dbrahms

Are you guys speaking from experience? I've been browsing videos on YouTube and I can hear them just fine and that's with a recording. As far as weight is concerned....just build bigger. My lips don't sound like a Merlin..... ;)

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I was looking at it from a weight vs. quality standpoint. To get that deep rumble reproduced accurately is going to take a larger speaker which would need an amp of some sort to drive it. Maybe it's something you can bring in under the weight of a GoPro, but my experience with quality audio has been home and car audio. Everything there for low frequency is HEAVY!
I'm not saying it can't be done, you can probably just slap on an amp from some powered computer speakers and a small driver and have at it. I just think the sound quality would suffer unless you could make it bigger/heavier.

Maybe I'm just over-thinking it...

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I have now. You posted them while I was typing... I do like the idea and they do sound great but at 7oz it's a pretty hefty add-on for a little foamy. Throw it on a larger warbird and you're golden. I was fairly surprised with the sound quality as well and I'm not sure if the shortcomings on the video are from the camera or the module but I've heard enough to be impressed.

dbrahms

I hear ya! (pun intended! :) ) Definitely needs to be on a slightly larger bird but nothing huge. I would love to hear them in person or more importantly see a Flite Test show where they try them out!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I hear ya! (pun intended! :) ) Definitely needs to be on a slightly larger bird but nothing huge. I would love to hear them in person or more importantly see a Flite Test show where they try them out!
Definitely! I do like accurate reproduction and even if it's not getting the rumble in your chest, you still get the Doppler as it goes by which adds to the realism. I have to admit you wouldn't get that mounted on the Tx...

RoyBro

Mentor
I guess I still just don't see the point. Especially at $130 or better. Of course as a kid, I did want my dad to buy me one of those plastic motors with electric motorcycle sounds for my bicycle. But I ended up having to clip playing cards on the spokes. I don't think clipping cards where the propeller can hit it would be a viable, inexpensive alternative.

As for FT doing an episode, I'm not sure if any of them own the type or size of planes for which this even starts to make sense. Maybe they can borrow one or visit a hobby store or dealer that carries them.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I think this is best suited for a larger scale electric where you need/want that little bit of extra realism.

But for my birds, I can't see giving up 7oz or $130 just for the cool factor. Especially since I usually fly alone...and i only have one warbird, FT Spitfire...

+1 for gadget, +1 for coolness, but I have to say it's a small niche item. Granted, those guys that fly the big scale birds will probably be able to fit one in the budget somewhere, but I can't.

dbrahms

So what you are saying is the idea of adding a sound module to a model aircraft to mimic the sounds of the aircraft it is trying to emulate is pointless? I completely disagree. I was impressed with the examples in the videos I linked and IMO those aircraft sound better than ones with actual gasser engines....much more realistic and adds to the entire experience. Funny how you think this is a childish idea yet we are all flying small "toy" aircraft.

I would like to hear what the FT guys have to say about whether or not they think it's worthy of a show....

Lastly...there are several exaples of Parkzone sized aircraft with sound modules on youtube. They might not be suited for FT airframes but they will work on planes that aren't dramatically larger.

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
So what you are saying is the idea of adding a sound module to a model aircraft to mimic the sounds of the aircraft it is trying to emulate is pointless? I completely disagree. I was impressed with the examples in the videos I linked and IMO those aircraft sound better than ones with actual gasser engines....much more realistic and adds to the entire experience. Funny how you think this is a childish idea yet we are all flying small "toy" aircraft.

I would like to hear what the FT guys have to say about whether or not they think it's worthy of a show....
I never said it was pointless. I think it's actually pretty cool. I just can't see one on my planes for the reasons I pointed out above. Sound modules are just not going to be for everyone. I do think it would be a cool topic for a show especially for us gadget geeks.

andy_spoo

That's amazing! I love it. These days, a lot of sound systems off all sorts use really small speakers. I'd love flitetest to have a go and try them. Definitely sounds better than the normal electric motor sound :)

RoyBro

Mentor
So what you are saying is the idea of adding a sound module to a model aircraft to mimic the sounds of the aircraft it is trying to emulate is pointless?

Pointless? Not at all. Just not for me. But I'm not into building or flying scale model aircraft. I love watching the big scale war birds fly. And I am amazed and impressed at the detailed realism.
But for me, I'm happy if I can get a plane to fly. So far, the most I've spent on a plane is around $100 for a Bixler 2.
That's not to say that for others in the hobby, that level of realism isn't worth $130 or more.
As for sound modules being a good topic for an episode, that can only be answered by the Flite Test crew.
I was giving my opinion. I would not want to see an episode devoted to such a niche aspect of the hobby.
I'm sorry if I offended.