Soundtrack!

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Hi everyone,

I'm working on a little soundtrack project, maybe for a future aerial video, who knows?
It's not finished yet, but you can listen to the first part here:

http://soundcloud.com/aesoft2009/the-soundtrack-project/s-TMBRe

Please say what you think about it, don't just say it's cool, tell me what's bad about it too. Tell me for what type of video this would be appropriate. My thought is it would be perfect for a fast and exciting FPV video.

Made in a *free* ;) version of FL Studio 9

Thanks!

Last edited:

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
hey colorex!

Nice piece of music you did there!
I don´t know really for what kind of planes of video it is for. You know when you listen to a song and immediately start imagining with which beats which picture should come up in a song?
I think this is just kinda too simple going to boring for being a good piece of music along a FPV video or a simple plane.
I´ll just post a video of my little brother with his ES to show you really what I mean with this beats stuff as it is a really easy example to show with:

However if I think of a quadcopter cruising in front of you and getting faster and faster as the music gets more to its highest point I can imagine it being it quite a good piece of music for it because those bells in the background kinda fit to that type of flying.
Also maybe to F3P flying it would be nice.

As a tip: don´t make it too much of a melody and try to get more beats into it.

Well that is just my opinion and I hope I didn´t violate you with this rather harsh critic.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Anas,

I think beats are OK for exciting videos such as 3D acrobatics or high speed mountain surfing, while melodic instrumental music with barely no beats is more for "sightseeing" type FPV. This, though, is kind of in the middle.

I think that the storyboard would be the following:

0:00 - This would be for the intro/titles of the video

0:13 - As the bells/music box starts playing, the FPV plane just gets out of a cloud/fog revealing a beautiful morning landscape.

0:27 - The morning landscape is now clearly visible.

0:37 - Screen fades to black

0:41 - New shot appears on screen instantly presenting more active shots (rolls, sharp turns, if possible, a chase view), that change every 4 or 8 beats until the break:

1:36 - Now you have wonderful nature views while gliding slowly and banking very little

1:50 - the same views as above but a more "action" type shot, maybe a close flyby of an interesting landmark

2:03 - sounds like a sunset or flying along a beach; and could be the ending of the song

2:30 - is just an ending for the song. I haven't finished it yet.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Oh and I think your music is OK for the "action" in the beginning, but for a shot that is almost "pixel-in-the-sky" it's not that fitting... It's like drinking RedBull while watching TV, the music gives you adrenaline to watch the video, but the video does not require all that adrenaline.

Just my thoughts :) Don't take it wrong, you make wonders for your age!

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Hey, now by looking at your list everything became clear! It started making sense to me :D
I didn´t hear that really and also I didn´t have the idea of flying out of cloud at all! My imagination was too slow for that :D

The video above was made by my little brother who is 10! He chose the song etc.
I told thim the start is great but then it gets a little boring with the time. But he is making improvements on his editing skills if you watch his second video I think the music gives you a right kick but then the footage is not the best etc.

Both of us really want to get into FPV and Video editing and that is also why I asked for the song "Heart and courage". Is a very nice song I think and the music helps to keep you interested in the video as well.

Anyway if I rethink the music for your piece of music there it would be quite nice to see that sooner rather then later in real life with you Bixler!

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I am currently working on the song. It's getting better with a soft "interlude" and some extra FX!

wadsie

i like your sound track and yea i agree with u on puting this on an fpv video. my fav part is at 1:36

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
i like your sound track and yea i agree with u on puting this on an fpv video. my fav part is at 1:36

Nice to hear you like it! It's not my first try at making music, but the other times I have ended up just copying and pasting too much. Now I seem to be making more changes in my music such as the one at 1:36!

TreeCrash

Awesome song. I always find it a struggle to get good music for videos. I would love to be able to make my own like you. I did try my own for one video... but I like yours better.

I realized too late that I was clipping on the loud notes. I will avoid that next time.

Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I'm just now getting into video editing - figuring out export settings for Premiere CS3 - but I won't be able to get good enough footage until I get some FPV gear on my plane.

Coming up with a "storyline" for the video is the hardest part!

TreeCrash

I got into video editing ... fairly recently, about a year ago. I have iMovie which is fairly straight forward. I really want to learn final cut pro, but just trying it out a bit showed me that I practically need to take a course in order learn it (and I probably need a newer computer). I really want FPV too, so far I just fly with a GoPro on the plane and get what I get.

Storyline is hard... some videos really don't fit a storyline. I actually find narrated videos work well for story telling. I have an idea, or an event, gather together some clips, write a script and manage to put it all together. I hate my voice when I record, but it really improves a story video. Like this one about my first (and so far only) plane:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I hate my voice when I record

You are not alone. My voice is awful as well.

I watched your video, it's pretty good! Especially the GoPro footage!

I haven't tried editing HD footage on my computer, but my guess is it can't do it.

TreeCrash

Ya, my computer struggles a little with the GoPro footage, but not too much. I ordered it with 4GB RAM when I got it in 2008. Storing the HD footage is an issue too. I was looking at my video folder and I have over 150GB of video on my computer o_O

I'm glad you liked my video :) The GoPro takes amazing footage. Ever since I started seeing flying videos done with GoPro I was hooked. Nothing else seemed to compare to what the GoPro could do.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
FPV is first on my wanted list. Specifically this kit, which currently says it's sold out: Aerial Video System [AVS-1300-800-KX6]

Anyway, my dream business is to have a pair of quads (redundancy is key) that are able to carry a nice camera (non-professional but good) and an autopilot (with position hold so I can concentrate on centering the shots). I'm guessing it'll cost something above $1000 to get that started ($250 for one quad, $300 for a good FPV station, $200 for an AP and $250 for a camera).

It is a very-long-term project, but I'd like to be the first in my country - and start with good gear so that someone with money won't knock me out of business in a week.