Warbird Spinner - 2.75"2017.04.03FT Warbird Spinner
Combat Spinner - 2.375"
Wall Hook - Bloody Baron
Wall Hook - Baby Baron/Brit

FT Swappable Firewall_01.jpg
Combat Spinner & Swappable Firewall

Last edited:

wilsonb

What software are you using for modelling?

Also, is that the spinner they "tested" in the recent video? I've experimented with printed spinners in the past. I probably over-designed them and had trouble with balance instead of material failure.

If so, do you have more information about how/where they are failing?

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
What software are you using for modelling?

I use Autodesk Inventor and Fusion 360. The spinner was done in Inventor (mostly because I am more familiar/comfortable with it, 15+ years).

Also, is that the spinner they "tested" in the recent video? I've experimented with printed spinners in the past. I probably over-designed them and had trouble with balance instead of material failure.

If so, do you have more information about how/where they are failing?

The spinner they exploded in the VLOG was a previous version. I also think that the print settings and material they are printing with are contributing factors. I flew the latest version of the spinner over the weekend on the C Pack with 3S and 4S (9x6 APC prop) with no issue. I will be posting the file on Thingiverse very soon.

Also, all my testing has been done with PLA. ABS and PET-G are probably much better suited for this application. I hope to test those in the future. Full disclosure. I am by no means and expert in 3D printing. I've only had my printer for a couple of months now and I still have a lot to learn. The spinner was been a really challenging and fun project to work on and I am grateful to Josh Bixler for giving me the challenge.

Last edited:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Thanks Dan. How's the weight of the printed firewall compared to a plywood firewall?

That is a great question. I will have to print another one and put it on the scale. I was so excited to test it I totally forgot to weigh it. :rolleyes:

wilsonb

Also, all my testing has been done with PLA. ABS and PET-G are probably much better suited for this application. I hope to test those in the future. Full disclosure. I am by no means and expert in 3D printing. I've only had my printer for a couple of months now and I still have a lot to learn. The spinner was been a really challenging and fun project to work on and I am grateful to Josh Bixler for giving me the challenge.

Personally, I think PLA is a good choice. ABS would be tricky to print and probably have poor layer adhesion. PETG has awful impact strength which would cause some interesting situations on rough landings.

Really, either PLA or Alloy 910 nylon. I worry the printed nylon might be too flexible. PLA gets a bad reputation for being the trinket material, but it can be printed for strength and has a good place for "engineering" applications.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Personally, I think PLA is a good choice. ABS would be tricky to print and probably have poor layer adhesion. PETG has awful impact strength which would cause some interesting situations on rough landings.

Really, either PLA or Alloy 910 nylon. I worry the printed nylon might be too flexible. PLA gets a bad reputation for being the trinket material, but it can be printed for strength and has a good place for "engineering" applications.

I think you may be confusing PETG with PET. Impact strength and toughness of PETG is very high, and layer adhesion is way up there as well.

Nylon would be too flexible for a spinner I'm thinking. It would bulge out a lot under centrifugal force.

TedroT

Question

Added the MiG-3 Exhaust.

Sponz, do you have any opinion and/or insight on the many FT parts that are on the Thingiverse site? I know your Pietenpol engine is there but there are also many iterations of engine firewalls and control horns, among other things. Just curious, as I don't want to waste time and filament trying to print something that's not worth the effort. (My Prusa i3 MK2S kit shipped today from Prague. Yay!) Thanks.

GoofyFPV

Question on 3D Spinner on Thingiverse

Hi SP0NZ,

Your Thingiverse STL is in a single file, Is it possible to separate the files into 2 different STLs for smaller printers that can not handle it in a single print?

Awesome Design cant wait to try it!
Thanks!

NTTD

Sp0nz,

Are you going to post the mini camera tail mount you made?

I saw it on one of the models at FFW, I think it was either the Mustang or Mig.

I love that video and definitely want to do the 3rd person FPV with my soon to be completed FT Sportster.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Added the FT Gremlin Frame design by TJ Wiliams on Thingiverse. Link is the first post. This is the first of many FT Gremlin frames that will be added in the near future.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Two additions today...

FT Gremlin Frame by Josh Bixler
FT Merlin Exhaust (for FT Mustang and FT Spitfire)