SP0NZ - Plans Index

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
That's a nice launcher. Brings back memories. I flew a few of the dime store balsa planes when I was a kid. That launcher was a stick.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
It reminds me of the rocket gliders that were going up all over the place at FFE this year. I could see a similar future for these.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
@SP0NZ, Hi Dan, I've noticed an error in your FT simple cub plan. On the wing spar, the right side is 1/16 inch shorter than the left side, as a result, the servo hole is 1/16 inch closer to the center wire hole, so it doesn't line up to the wing servo hole correctly. See my attached screenshot, I did a quick measure in acrobat reader, on the left side, the distance between the servo hole and the center hole is 4.08, while the on the right side, it's only 4.01 (1/16 inch is 0.0625). Both wings the servo hole and the center hole are 4.08 inches apart.

View attachment 92414

I saw this post a while ago and meant to go back and check it. While building a beta version of the soon to be released Simple Scout, I noticed the same issue with the spar. I went back and checked the source (laser) files and discovered that they are off as well, for both the Simple Cub and the Simple Scout. I will make the corrections for the update to the Simple Cub. Luckily, I have time to fix the Simple Scout before it gets released.

Thanks for catching it and providing feedback.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Plans for the FT Simple Scout v1.0 are now live. Go make some vintage memories!

Ludodg

Dear SP0NZ

About the plan of the Mini Sparrow:
I noticed an error: two of the lines in the body-fuselage are not correct: the lines between the botton and sides. They are black/full and should be red/striped.
If you would really cut them through as is intended with black full lines, you end op with a fuselage-part in three pieces instead of one.

jimklupar

Hi Sponz,

Thanks for all the great work you do. It makes build these plans much better.

What CAD software do you use to create these plans? I want to make some modifications to one of the FT designs.

Thanks

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Dear SP0NZ

About the plan of the Mini Sparrow:
I noticed an error: two of the lines in the body-fuselage are not correct: the lines between the botton and sides. They are black/full and should be red/striped.
If you would really cut them through as is intended with black full lines, you end op with a fuselage-part in three pieces instead of one.

Thank you. I have revised the CAD file and will publish new plans and send them to FT soon. I'll post the updated plans here as well. Appreciate the feedback.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Hi Sponz,

Thanks for all the great work you do. It makes build these plans much better.

What CAD software do you use to create these plans? I want to make some modifications to one of the FT designs.

Thanks

Thanks for the kind words, it's much appreciated.

I use AutoCAD, but I don't really recommend it for hobby use. It's way to expensive for that. localfiend created a template for FT style plans using DoubleCAD XT which is a free CAD program that he and a few other people here have been using with success. I would recommend you start there. here's a link to localfiend's thread:

FT Style CAD Templates

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
where are the A-4 and F-5 plans?

First, Welcome to the forums! Great to have you here.

As for the A-4 and F-5 plans, still a work in progress. Ben has sent me the (hopefully) final version of the A-4 and I am actively working on finalizing the plans. Once Ben approves those, they will be made available. As for the F-5, that is a question for Ben. He has a few projects that he is working on at the moment and as far as I know, the F-5 isn't quite ready to be released just yet.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
where are the A-4 and F-5 plans?

As Dan said, the A-4 is in-process and close.

The F-5 however, is just this side of DOA for a while. My own plans are out on the build thread, and you're welcome to build it. But with Andres' X-29 out, which is very similar in size and performance (only better), the F-5 is on the back burner. It's still a stinkin' fun jet - and I gave a kit to Andres too - but I'm focused on the A-4, F-4 and Valkyrie projects right now.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Do you have the tiled plans for the Air Hogs Intruder that you built for Flite Fest?

:black_eyed:

Another first time poster, welcome to the family!

As for the Intruder...

No plans to share yet. Work, Life and other projects have been keeping me pretty busy. And to be honest, the prototyping process of making plans, printing, tiling, cutting, taping, making templates, tracing, and cutting foam is getting really really old for me. When you start designing and then making changes and repeating that process multiple times, it really starts to slow down the creative process. Which is why I am going to build a Rascal CNC machine. So for now, I'm going to focus on helping the Rascal CNC team out with the release, build my own Rascal and get that up and running this fall. Once that is operational, the Intruder development will be my top priority. Realistically. I think getting the design and plans done this winter should be a very achievable goal.

jperry

thanks for the reply ben, as much as I admire Andres x29 I do prefer the look of the f5. i just want a something that is not OTT to build (although i do like a bit of a challenge) and something that is fast, presumably this jet ticks both of these boxes ? i think ill build it from your plans on the build thread.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
thanks for the reply ben, as much as I admire Andres x29 I do prefer the look of the f5. i just want a something that is not OTT to build (although i do like a bit of a challenge) and something that is fast, presumably this jet ticks both of these boxes ? i think ill build it from your plans on the build thread.

Don't know what "OTT" means, but the F-5 is definitely faaast!! :cool: Give the plans a try, and post any questions you have in that build thread. Good luck!

jperry

ott- over the top

just seen your F4 Vid. you have certainly outdone yourself, a very impressive model. I may be too tempted by the phantom and build it. it could be the first one to grace the not so sunny skies of the UK. dependant on whether i can get access to a laser cutter though.

stay tuned for lots of questions

Last edited:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Bloody Baron v1.1 plans posted.

Changes:

• Plans updated to latest template format
  • Rear fuselage tabs (and corresponding horizontal stabilizer slots) removed
  • Updated the power pod to the latest version from Flite Test
  • Both fuselage doublers included with plans
  • Two sets of German Cross graphics included in plans.

epsilon

Sponz... so i just have to say. I just built my first FT design that you haven't gotten around to revamping yet and i do have to say... HUGE difference between the stock plans and yours. Thank you SOOOOOOOO much for the time that you have put into this! Seriously...

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Sponz... so i just have to say. I just built my first FT design that you haven't gotten around to revamping yet and i do have to say... HUGE difference between the stock plans and yours. Thank you SOOOOOOOO much for the time that you have put into this! Seriously...

Thanks so much for the kind words. The feedback means a lot to me. I'm always grateful that people appreciate what I'm doing. Out of curiosity, which plane did you just build from the old FT plans?