SP0NZ - Plans Index

daxian

Elite member
hi slingshot ...
yes poster on full size plans..there would be no point using poster if its already tiled ...
the question was... is it possible to convert a pdf from us letter to a4 ...or calibrate the pdf to not use so much empty space around the original plans...it must be possible ...sponz does it no problem ,his tiled plans do not have half a page of wasted space !!!

TooJung2Die

Master member
You change the paper size in your printer set up, not in Acrobat Reader. Here's the best answer I can find: Poster printing on too many pages
You can change the paper size in printer set up to something like A4 and still load letter size in your printer. The printer won't know the difference (my HP Deskjet doesn't). When I change the paper size from letter to A4 the number of pages to print changes from 12 to 9 and the scale is still 100%.

letter.jpg
A4.jpg

Jon

Last edited:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
hi Dan ....
i do use all your work /plans ...but not all plans are covered in your perfect style ..on occasion i get a plan from the internet...!!! set out in us letter ,which i want to print in uk a4 ( i used the ft p40 as an example of what is happening when i try ) .
For other files that I have not optimized for tiled printing, you are at the mercy of the poster printing option in Adobe Reader for how it slices it up. I'm not an expert in optimizing that, so maybe others can chime in for ways to make it waste less paper.

One option I have seen people use, is to selectively print individual parts from the full size plans using the poster option. That could help.

TPG

thanks Dan ...will give your suggestion a try ...!! and yours toojung!
thanks all ...
Hi Daxian, not sure if this will be of any use to you, I am also in the UK, but I print out letter size plans on A4 paper using an app on my iPad called Readdle Printer Pro. Simple to use and all you have to do is print the letter size tiled plans on A4. The attached screenshot shows the relevant page on this app. I have found this app to be the best for printing on an IOS device. Hope this helps.
23149797-0336-477C-83E3-E970A4CD9ACE.png

daxian

Elite member
Hi Daxian, not sure if this will be of any use to you, I am also in the UK, but I print out letter size plans on A4 paper using an app on my iPad called Readdle Printer Pro. Simple to use and all you have to do is print the letter size tiled plans on A4. The attached screenshot shows the relevant page on this app. I have found this app to be the best for printing on an IOS device. Hope this helps. View attachment 181473
will have a look at the app ...thanks !

egenoup

Sponz,

There is a minor typo in the FT SWP Racer v1.1 plans. Sheet -1 (full size, but it also trickled down to the tiled ones) Former B is actually labeled "Former C". It does not take much to figure out what is wrong, but it does throw you for a loop when you first see it.

Thanks

Charles

subcom117

Two months ago, FT posted on YouTube the FT Simple Stick build video. Josh said, "We are providing free downloadable plans..." Where are the plans??
Love what you guys do, but someone seems to have dropped the ball here.

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
Two months ago, FT posted on YouTube the FT Simple Stick build video. Josh said, "We are providing free downloadable plans..." Where are the plans??
Maybe SARS-CoV-2 dropped the ball.

GremlinRC

FT_Nut

I don't think anyone "dropped the ball". I suggest that FT are trying to move away from the free plans model. That is absolutely their right. For years they gave us amazing free plans and I am very grateful for that.

I do suggest however that there are some downsides from a business point of view to not giving away plans. Not everyone can afford SBKs, free plans keep these people in the hobby and spread the word to those who may well be able to buy SBK's. Maybe some leave the hobby altogether, who might otherwise have been able to buy SBKs when money becomes available at a later stage. Also it may be argued that every free plan is a lost sale, but in truth many of these people would not (for various reasons) have bought the SBK's anyway. Lastly SBK's are not available or very limited to many around the world and the plans are the only way to keep these people engaged

Some software companies have realised that by allowing free access to software for non-professional use this results in a brand loyalty which can result in future sales. At the end of the day this is flitetest's choice and whatever they choose to do, we have no right to complain.

Thanks to Dan and flitetest for all the plans to date and whatever business model they choose, I wish them every success with it.