SP0NZ - Plans Index

Draftman1

I moved on, I don’t expect to see the simple stick any time soon. Sponzs hands are tied,

If you want a nice stick, build the one that hanger designed, or try your hand at designing your own, the stick has always been an easy model, you don’t need to use cad, Start cutting, folding and see what you come up with,
I used to design my own all the time in coroplast,

FTcello1869

I think Flite Test is having foamboard supply problems. I been trying to order a box of foam since October and there has been none available. There were very few models available for purchase on the store at the greatest sales time of the year right before Xmas and still most models are back ordered. It would be nice if Flite Test would let everyone know the issues if that is the case.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I moved on, I don’t expect to see the simple stick any time soon. Sponzs hands are tied,

If you want a nice stick, build the one that hanger designed, or try your hand at designing your own, the stick has always been an easy model, you don’t need to use cad, Start cutting, folding and see what you come up with,
I used to design my own all the time in coroplast,

Here are a couple of great designs from our awesome community members that are similar in size to the FT Simple Stick to tide you over...

JB Simple Stik - Justin Boetsma (@JUSS10 ) :
Very similar to the FT design and can be used with wire landing gear or the FT Simple Cub Floats.
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/jb-simple-stik.60515/

DTFB Das Ugly Stik - Jason Potosky (@jpot1) :
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/das-ugly-stick-ft-style.37794/

Simple Stick - The Hangar (@The Hangar) :
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?resources/simple-stick.125/

Abdul Bari

I think Flite Test is having foamboard supply problems. I been trying to order a box of foam since October and there has been none available. There were very few models available for purchase on the store at the greatest sales time of the year right before Xmas and still most models are back ordered. It would be nice if Flite Test would let everyone know the issues if that is the case.
i don't think so because if you look at john overstreat Instagram, he posts a picture or 2 daily made from foam board. any way if they go back to DTFB for now they will be more than appreciated. at least better than nothing

Paracodespoder

Elite member
i don't think so because if you look at john overstreat Instagram, he posts a picture or 2 daily made from foam board. any way if they go back to DTFB for now they will be more than appreciated. at least better than nothing
Not too butt in, but knowing John Overstreat, he probably has a large supply cache of foam 😉.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Anyone have any experience resucing or even eliminating the dihedral on the mighty mini DR.I Triplane? I wanted to do a quick build on it while waiting for parts for other builds to arrive, and am trying to keep to scale as much as possible.

bmosinski

Simple stick not even in the store or drop down menu under flite test. Can't get an email when it is back in stock. Somethings up, oh wait that might be a conspiracy theory. Going to build The Hanger. Thanks forum.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Simple stick not even in the store or drop down menu under flite test. Can't get an email when it is back in stock. Somethings up, oh wait that might be a conspiracy theory. Going to build The Hanger. Thanks forum.
FT has had quality issues with the maker foam during the corona virus so they’re remaking the kits in brown foam board to give their buyers the best product possible. Instead of selling a product that FT themselves don’t stand behind.

There are no plans available because FT may be pursuing a different business model, it’s hard to run a company when you give your products away for free. When they were smaller and supporting a smaller group of hobbiests that might not have been an issue. But they are now at a bigger hq and trying to branch out their business into hobby shops so that families get the opportunity to walk into a store, pay a small fee for the plans which would help keep the hobby shop afloat, and then go home and make an awesome memory.

Abdul Bari

FT has had quality issues with the maker foam during the corona virus so they’re remaking the kits in brown foam board to give their buyers the best product possible. Instead of selling a product that FT themselves don’t stand behind.

There are no plans available because FT may be pursuing a different business model, it’s hard to run a company when you give your products away for free. When they were smaller and supporting a smaller group of hobbiests that might not have been an issue. But they are now at a bigger hq and trying to branch out their business into hobby shops so that families get the opportunity to walk into a store, pay a small fee for the plans which would help keep the hobby shop afloat, and then go home and make an awesome memory.
Then why did they ever lie that the free plans will always be free? That is part of the reason why we trusted them and... oh well you can see the rest happening rn🙄

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Then why did they ever lie that the free plans will always be free? That is part of the reason why we trusted them and... oh well you can see the rest happening rn🙄
The only thing that is likely to change is when the free plans will be released. As far as I know, there will still be free planes for Flite Test designed planes. We all just need to be patient until we get the rest of the details from Flite Test. In the meantime, there are still plenty of Flite Test free plans out there to build from. Find one you like, build it and enjoy it while you pass the time waiting for the next free plan to come out.

DavidM

The only thing that is likely to change is when the free plans will be released. As far as I know, there will still be free planes for Flite Test designed planes. We all just need to be patient until we get the rest of the details from Flite Test. In the meantime, there are still plenty of Flite Test free plans out there to build from. Find one you like, build it and enjoy it while you pass the time waiting for the next free plan to come out.
Well said Sponz.

DavidM

I've found plans for 3 different Simple Sticks.
Hangar, JB and FB Flitestick by Werner Klotsche. That should be enough to keep you guys busy for awhile. They are right here in the forums. Happy building.

JakeTheSloth

Anyone have any experience resucing or even eliminating the dihedral on the mighty mini DR.I Triplane? I wanted to do a quick build on it while waiting for parts for other builds to arrive, and am trying to keep to scale as much as possible.
Check out original Dr.I build thread. There was one guy who made it without dihedral and changed airfoil to simple KFm. He also had working ailerons on it

JakeTheSloth

They're not obliged to give their plans away for free. We should be grateful that they do so. I got into hobby mostly because of flitetest. I thought it would be extremely expensive and hard to achieve but Josh and his crew proved different- my first plane was SE5a made from green floor insulation- I started with this ugly mishap and now have several planes and a lot of stuff laying around that I can build with, and it's all thanks to them. I bet there's more people like me out there that started because FT showed them it's not rocket science. My friend, please, be grateful.

Flyingshark

Master member
They're not obliged to give their plans away for free. We should be grateful that they do so.
I don't think they are obliged to have free plans for every plane, but not doing so is almost like breaking a promise, since in earlier videos they made it very clear that there are free plans available for every FT design.

EDIT:
I get why FT is doing this, just to clarify that.