SP0NZ - Plans Index

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Hi Dan Sponholz,
Are there ft simple storch plans like this?
Can you please make them? I think its one of the most popular models for beginner.

Thanks,
Vishal

I have not done the FT Storch plans yet. But I will add them to the list. Not sure how soon I will get to them though. Are you planning to build one soon? I have a few projects of my own that I would like to complete before Flite Fest.

vishal

Yup,
I have been thinking about if for sometime now, if I had your plan it will definitely be much less effort...

I have not done the FT Storch plans yet. But I will add them to the list. Not sure how soon I will get to them though. Are you planning to build one soon? I have a few projects of my own that I would like to complete before Flite Fest.

Moneymakerspy

Sponz, First I want to thank you for all of your hard work in designing and perfecting so many great plane designs and sharing with the community here. Second, and less important is that I am looking to have some of your plans printed out and sent to me (we do not have a printer at the moment) so I have put a post out on the FT Forums offering to pay some willing community member to do so. On a recommendation from CraftyDan one of the planes I will be building as my first scratch build (I have to do 3 - one for each of my 3 kiddos, see my plan here) is the tiny trainer (I may end up building 3 of these in fact) and I was wondering if it would be worth my time to try and somehow transfer the screen image to paper by simple method of scaling the screen image to close as possible and taping the paper to the screen then tracing the lines. If this is foolish, let me know and I will just wait until I find a way to get the plans printed. Thanks again for your efforts here! - Shane

wire10ga

shane, If you are ok with taping the plans together, I will print out whatever plans you want and ship them to you for free. pm me your mailing address and which plans you want and number of copies, and I'll get them sent you to you within a day or two.

Carl

Last edited:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Sponz, First I want to thank you for all of your hard work in designing and perfecting so many great plane designs and sharing with the community here. Second, and less important is that I am looking to have some of your plans printed out and sent to me (we do not have a printer at the moment) so I have put a post out on the FT Forums offering to pay some willing community member to do so. On a recommendation from CraftyDan one of the planes I will be building as my first scratch build (I have to do 3 - one for each of my 3 kiddos, see my plan here) is the tiny trainer (I may end up building 3 of these in fact) and I was wondering if it would be worth my time to try and somehow transfer the screen image to paper by simple method of scaling the screen image to close as possible and taping the paper to the screen then tracing the lines. If this is foolish, let me know and I will just wait until I find a way to get the plans printed. Thanks again for your efforts here! - Shane

Shane, thanks for the kind words regarding the plans. I would not be flying myself had it not been for Flite Test. They have significantly reduced the initial start-up cost and stress of getting into the hobby. I now get to fly with my son, father, brother, nephew, and brother-in-law. I might even get my father-in-law in the air this year. I owe much of that to Flite Test. Sharing my designs and updating some plans to make them easier for people to use is my way of paying it forward.

Regarding getting paper plans, have you considered trying a local print shop? If you have a store like a Kinko's or a Staples in your area, they can usually print the full-size plans for very little cost. If you decide to go that route, make sure you ask for black-and-white prints. Printing in color is much more expensive. The full-size plans will also save you a little time cutting and taping the plans together. However, if this is not an option for you, I will send you the paper plans for the FT Tiny Trainer at no cost.

I would NOT recommend trying to trace the plans onto paper from the computer screen. I don't think there is a way to get the scaling right if you do that.

I would recommend that you start with the FT Tiny Trainer for all three kids. It is a plane they can grow with and you will get comfortable building it. It incorporates all of the FT build techniques into a beginner to intermediate plane. Also, if you make a set of templates for it, you will only need one set of plans to start out with. The technique I use to make my templates is outlined in my Blog Entries (the link is on the left <--). This is a pretty inexpensive way to make a template that can be used over and over again without having to print, cut and tape plans every time.

Last edited:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Hi Dan Sponholz,
Are there ft simple storch plans like this?
Can you please make them? I think its one of the most popular models for beginner.

Thanks,
Vishal

FT Simple Storch plans are 90% complete. I should have something posted before the end of the week.

vishal

Thanks Dan,
I really appreciate your efforts, I am excited to start building Storch soon.
I am almost done with my tiny trainer based on your plans.

FT Simple Storch plans are 90% complete. I should have something posted before the end of the week.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I am almost done with my tiny trainer based on your plans.

Very cool. How is everything fitting up? I have my templates cut out for the FT Tiny Trainer, but I haven't cut any foam for it yet.

vishal

they all fit perfectly, I am quite happy with it so far.
I usually print your plans on little thicker paper, cut templates with X-ACTO 11 blades and make outline on foam board and cut.

"X-ACTO Foam Board Cutter" gets perfect 45 degree bevels and grooves for "A" and "B" folds.

it might be a good idea to include dimensions on the shapes as much as possible.
I would prefer to cut a 1.5" x 18" spar with a ruler instead of cutting template for it.
just a suggestion for improvement.

I like your labels on the shapes, it keeps my templates organized,
I usually wrap my templates with a poster board and keep them around long.

scratch building is so much fun and your plans makes it easy.
I think Flitetest should adopt your plans...

Keep up the good work!

Very cool. How is everything fitting up? I have my templates cut out for the FT Tiny Trainer, but I haven't cut any foam for it yet.

degriz

spitfire

Would love to see the spit added. I still think it's the smoothest flyer they released.

degriz

Thanks Dan, appreciate all the time you put into this. It sure makes the building faster and easier.