SP0NZ - Plans Index

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
SPONZ, can you redo the plans for Mikeys FPV V3 one day?

http://mikeysrc.com/MRC_FPV_V3.pdf

It's possible. There are two issues that would need to be addressed. First, I won't rework anyone else's plans without their permission. You would have to get written permission from MikeysRC. Second, I would need the full-size plans. I would prefer a CAD file (DWG/DXF) over a PDF otherwise it's a lot more work for me. I did something similar for ALP's Texan and Corsair plans. If those two roadblocks get taken care of, I would do it. :D

Moneymakerspy

Wire10ga and Sponz to the rescue

shane, If you are ok with taping the plans together, I will print out whatever plans you want and ship them to you for free. pm me your mailing address and which plans you want and number of copies, and I'll get them sent you to you within a day or two.

Carl

Wire10ga and Sponz,
So glad you replied and sorry it takes me a while to get to your messages and reply myself, my resources (and online time) are limited.
I wanted to thank you both for you offer to mail me the plans I need for the kids planes.

I think I will take Sponz's advice and build the tiny trainers for them. In an effort to avoid any double efforts, can you guys decide who sends me the plans and I will PM both of you our mailing address.

I think I only need one set of plans to do all three if I follow the directions for making templates that sponz mentioned.

I would like to build the powered version for at least one of the planes with a swappable mini power-pod.

We now have the financial resources to actually buy the Radio Transmitter and Receiver plus the hardware we would need (at least for one complete setup).

Can you guys help me complete a list of parts (below) I should buy for a complete plane including the radio, receiver, motor, battery, servos, prop, control rods, and speed controller?

I was going to order from Hobby King but someone mentioned that they may have issues with keeping items in stock as well as issues with shipping & returns.

Can you confirm it is OK to order from the new HobbyKing Us-based warehouse? I just looked and many people are complaining in the comments for various parts that they have been waiting forever.

Maybe flite test is a better store to order from - please advise if possible... I also have a local Hobby Store Hobby Lobby (I think is the name) they are helpful but expensive.

Or perhaps suggest an alternative source with similar pricing (cheap!).

Your effort here are so very much appreciated and we look forward to the builds and filming our first flights for you guys.

We all thank you from deep within our hearts, you guys are to be commended for helping me with getting the kids flying.

The following is a Parts list for a complete Tiny Trainer (powered w/mini power pack "A")

alternative 1: Mighty Mini Powerpack A ($55.00) Flite Test Store

(1) Motor - EMaxx - MT1806
(1) ESC - BL Heli - 12 amp
(4) Servos - ES9051 5g Servo
(1) Y-Lead (30cm)
(2) Extensions (20cm)
(4) Linkage Stoppers
(2) Propellers (6x3)

Alternative #2: Buy everything from online or local source other than flite test store:

RADIO
Turnigy 4X FHSS 2.4ghz Transmitter and Receiver (Mode 2)
HobbyKing HK6S 2.4Ghz FHSS 6Ch Tx & Rx (Mode 2)

SERVOS - Can I go smaller than these listed?
Hextronic 9 Gram Servo
Suppo SP-90 9g Micro Servo
Turnigy TG9e 9g Servos

PROP
APC-style Electric Propeller - 8x4E
GWS EP Propeller (RD-8043 203x109mm) (6pcs/set)

BATTERY
Turnigy 500mAh 2S 20C Lipo Pack
Turnigy 500mAh 3S 20C Lipo Pack

ESC
Dynam 18Amp ESC w/ 3A BEC
TURNIGY Plush 18amp Speed Controller
Hobbyking SS Series 18-20A ESC
Suppo 18A Brushless ESC

Motor

LazerToyz Blue Wonder 24g [2712-12]
HEXTRONIK 24GRAM BRUSHLESS OUTRUNNER 1300KV
Turnigy Park300 Brushless Outrunner 1380kv
Suppo 2208/14 1450kv Brushless Motor (Park 370 equiv.)

OTHER SUPPLIES (I probably have everything here or can make these - tips appreciated)
Push Rods: Music Wire .047
Linkage Stoppers D1.8mm (10pcs)
Linkage Stopper "Speed Clevis"

Moneymakerspy

shane, If you are ok with taping the plans together, I will print out whatever plans you want and ship them to you for free. pm me your mailing address and which plans you want and number of copies, and I'll get them sent you to you within a day or two.

Carl

Sponz, yes I am OK with taping the plans and please see my reply to wire10ga as I included you in that post. Thank you for your help and extra efforts here, we are grateful. Shane

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Wire10ga and Sponz,
So glad you replied and sorry it takes me a while to get to your messages and reply myself, my resources (and online time) are limited.
I wanted to thank you both for you offer to mail me the plans I need for the kids planes.

I think I will take Sponz's advice and build the tiny trainers for them. In an effort to avoid any double efforts, can you guys decide who sends me the plans and I will PM both of you our mailing address.

I think I only need one set of plans to do all three if I follow the directions for making templates that sponz mentioned.

I can get those in the mail by Monday.

Also, not sure if you look at the FT Articles at all, but I finally got off my lazy but and wrote an article on how to make poster board templates. Here is the link: DIY Poster Board Templates. The article has a lot more detail and lots of pictures.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Looking for Feedback

Because I can NEVER leave well enough alone...

I'm trying something new with my plans. Shading parts for better clarity and to better distinguish foam board, poster board, and plywood parts in the drawing. Take a look at the exaple image and let me know what you think, good, bad or indifferent. I did not show the gages (90°, dihedral, deflection, etc.) but I would leave those plain white to signify that they are not part of the airplane. The shading is going to be on separate layers so it can be toggled off in the PDF for printing. This will probably only be helpful if printed in color too.

5-1-2015 3-37-59 PM.jpg

Because I can NEVER leave well enough alone...

I'm trying something new with my plans. Shading parts for better clarity and to better distinguish foam board, poster board, and plywood parts in the drawing. Take a look at the exaple image and let me know what you think, good, bad or indifferent. I did not show the gages (90°, dihedral, deflection, etc.) but I would leave those plain white to signify that they are not part of the airplane. The shading is going to be on separate layers so it can be toggled off in the PDF for printing. This will probably only be helpful if printed in color too.

View attachment 46384

Thats awesome. Are the spit plans ready? Want to try and build a 60% spit. According to another thread thats the size for the mini pod to fit

Last edited:

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
Sponz,
Nice job with the plans! I was just wondering if there was a specific reason you combined the full-sized and tiled plans, instead of separating them, like you did the Bloody Baron. Just curious. Love your designs, by the way.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Sponz,
Nice job with the plans! I was just wondering if there was a specific reason you combined the full-sized and tiled plans, instead of separating them, like you did the Bloody Baron. Just curious. Love your designs, by the way.

I thought it would be easier for everyone to just have one file to download so you have the option to print out either from a single file. My plans for the Bloody Wonder MkIII and the Bloody Baron were done very early in the process of putting together my "standard" format. If you notice the final plans for the Ugly Wonder and the Baby Baron have both.

I appreciate the questions, thanks for asking. I want them to be in the format that most people would like them in. Would you rather have them separate? If so, why?

Jaxx

Would you rather have them separate? If so, why?

If most people like them combined, I'm fine with that, and I certainly don't want to create any extra work for you (especially since you are providing a free service). I just prefer when they are separated simply because I email the full-sized plans to a local "Mom & Pop" print shop, and provide instructions to have them printed at 100% scale. It takes the guess-work out of the equation when all they have to do is open the file, set the scale, hit print, then measure the printed scale.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I've been wanting to build a Blunt Nose Versa (BNV) for a while. It's a great plane to fly on windy days. I haven't flown one in well over a year. I looked at the FT plans and decided that I should add them to the list. FT never released the full-size plans for the Blunt Nose mod? I will be reformatting the Versa plans to include the blunt nose and the FT Elements Firewall.

I'm also going to be working on my own wing design once the Versa is finished. :D

Jaxx

I've been wanting to build a Blunt Nose Versa (BNV) for a while. It's a great plane to fly on windy days. I haven't flown one in well over a year. I looked at the FT plans and decided that I should add them to the list. FT never released the full-size plans for the Blunt Nose mod? I will be reformatting the Versa plans to include the blunt nose and the FT Elements Firewall.

I'm also going to be working on my own wing design once the Versa is finished. :D

Awesome idea! Thank you for what you have done here!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Dan your work is so pretty :)

Thanks nic. Eventually, I want to start designing the more scale looking planes like you and Alp. Got a few others to finish up before I get to that though.