SP0NZ - Plans Index

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Awesome idea! Thank you for what you have done here!

Your welcome, Jaxx. And thanks for taking the time to give your opinion and feedback on the plans. I'm still thinking about splitting them up now for people who might use a print service. Hadn't thought of that before.

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
Your welcome, Jaxx. And thanks for taking the time to give your opinion and feedback on the plans. I'm still thinking about splitting them up now for people who might use a print service. Hadn't thought of that before.

Either way, you do an excellent job with the plans. Thanks again!

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
Sponz,

Tell me what you think about the attached PDF. Your idea to make a full size plan for the blunt nose conversion inspired me to try to do it myself. I used Inkscape. I'm still learning how to use it, so the PDF may be a little on the rough side.

Jaxx

Attachments

• Blunt_Nose_Conversion_.pdf
    34 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Sponz,

Tell me what you think about the attached PDF. Your idea to make a full size plan for the blunt nose conversion inspired me to try to do it myself. I used Inkscape. I'm still learning how to use it, so the PDF may be a little on the rough side.

Jaxx

I think it looks really good. Nice job man.

RAGII

It's possible. There are two issues that would need to be addressed. First, I won't rework anyone else's plans without their permission. You would have to get written permission from MikeysRC. Second, I would need the full-size plans. I would prefer a CAD file (DWG/DXF) over a PDF otherwise it's a lot more work for me. I did something similar for ALP's Texan and Corsair plans. If those two roadblocks get taken care of, I would do it. :D

Dan,

You might want to take a look at the following website: www.autodwg.com

I downloaded their free trial and it works well. I need to spend a few minutes clearing out the watermarks that they put in but normally it takes me 5 - 10 minutes tops.

If all you can get is a .pdf it might be an option.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Dan,

You might want to take a look at the following website: www.autodwg.com

I downloaded their free trial and it works well. I need to spend a few minutes clearing out the watermarks that they put in but normally it takes me 5 - 10 minutes tops.

If all you can get is a .pdf it might be an option.

That might be a useful tool, I'll look into it. Thanks for sharing.

The problem with the Mikey'sRC plan is that he only has the tiled plans. So, even if you could automatically convert it, you would have to put all the pieces together too.

FeWolf

if I make a suggestion, hold down on the color on your plans, as color ink is pretty pricey on some printers.

Flynn

Hey Sponz, I get asked for the plans to the Middle Stick every time I fly that bad boy. Any chance of that being added? Keep up the good work, see you in July!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
if I make a suggestion, hold down on the color on your plans, as color ink is pretty pricey on some printers.

Hey FeWolf. Very good point. That's the kind of feedback I am looking for. One of the reasons that I decided to try adding the color is because my plans are created with the layers available in the PDF. So if there is some formatting that you don't like, or don't want to print, you can turn that layer off. The shading for the parts is the same way. There is a SHADE FB, SHADE PD, and SHADE PW layer for foam board parts, poster board parts, and plywood parts respectively. If you don't like all the cross hatching for the cavities, that layer can be turned off as well.

I know that you'll have to remember to do that before you print, and that's a bit of a drawback. What are your thoughts on that?

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Hey Sponz, I get asked for the plans to the Middle Stick every time I fly that bad boy. Any chance of that being added? Keep up the good work, see you in July!

Someone else asked for that one already too. I checked with Hotwax a while ago and he was fine with it. I just need to add it to the list. It keeps getting longer and longer. The Middle Stick is going to take a bit longer than some of the other that I've done based on my preliminary look at the PDF's.

In other, somewhat related news, I'm working on a foam board version of the Das Ugly Stik based on the plans from Jensen/Phil Kraft. It will be pretty similar to Hotwax's Flite/Middle Stick, but is slightly bigger at 60" wingspan and about 50" long. It will look identical to the original Das Ugly Stik. I'm hoping to have at least a prototype done for Flite Fest, but that's creeping up pretty fast already.

Flynn

Someone else asked for that one already too. I checked with Hotwax a while ago and he was fine with it. I just need to add it to the list. It keeps getting longer and longer. The Middle Stick is going to take a bit longer than some of the other that I've done based on my preliminary look at the PDF's.

In other, somewhat related news, I'm working on a foam board version of the Das Ugly Stik based on the plans from Jensen/Phil Kraft. It will be pretty similar to Hotwax's Flite/Middle Stick, but is slightly bigger at 60" wingspan and about 50" long. It will look identical to the original Das Ugly Stik. I'm hoping to have at least a prototype done for Flite Fest, but that's creeping up pretty fast already.

That's awesome man. Sure would be cool to see it at FF. Can't wait to catch up!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
That's awesome man. Sure would be cool to see it at FF. Can't wait to catch up!

Yeah, hopefully I can make that happen. I can't wait for Flite Fest. We'll have to be sure to meet up with you and hopefully get the Sticks up in the air for some big formation flying or something. :D

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor

Added hotwax's FliteStick to the list. Thanks RAGII for the PDF to DWG conversion. :)

Topdawg

Hey SP0NZ. I don't post much but I continually am a lurker here on the forums. I am half way decent with a computer. Did you want any help with rearranging plans? I can try to assist you any way I can.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Oh, oh SPONZ,

big light blue areas ....

The Boys with Inkjets will love it.

Yes, I started adding different colored shading to the plans recently for different materials.

• BLUE = FOAM BOARD
  • YELLOW = POSTER BOARD
  • BROWN = PLYWOOD

• WHITE = GAGES (or anything that isn't a part of the plane)

I like it, I print mine out with the shading. But, I'm still on the fence about keeping it that way if no one else wants it.

I should probably put some instruction for printing in the plans or in this thread. I spent a lot of time setting things up with my templates so people can pick and choose how they want to print their plans. If you click on the Layers button on the left side of the screen, you can see the layers that are included. If you click on the little eye icon next to any layer you can turn that layer off for view AND for printing. So you can turn off the shading and the hatching for the cavities and the 45° bevel cuts if you want to. The user has complete control over what they want to print.

Printing Plans.png

I will look into seeing if there is a way for me to have the PDF file open with some of those layers turned off by default if that is what the community wants.

As always, thanks for the feedback, it really helps and is appreciated.