SP0NZ - Plans Index

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Dan,

Here are a couple things I noticed when building the Sea Duck from the v1.0 plans.

The first is on the hatch support (part #8). There is an area that should have the foam removed.

The second is on the fuselage (part #1). There are two areas that should have the foam removed. I wasn't sure when I took the screenshot, so I just put the "?". I went and watched the build video to verify.

Also, that the little piece on the bottom trailing edge of the fuselage (on the right edge of above image) is actually an A fold, not a B fold as the plans show.

Bixler shows an A fold in the build video here.

I made it an A fold and everything worked out.

Thanks for the feedback dayve, I will incorporate the changes into the next revision and get those out ASAP.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Hi Dan!
Sorry to bother but I have an issue trying to print the Tiny Trainer plans from pdf.
I have downloaded and printed several plans(built them too!) and everything good.
When I try the Tiny Trainer I get 3 dialog messages when I try to print.(1) document could not be printed.(2)error occurred when printing documents(3)drawing error occurred any thoughts?

What program are you trying to print them with? Are you following these instructions (link below)?
https://www.flitetest.com/articles/printing-flite-test-plans

Also, I am about 90% done with a redraw on the Tiny Trainer. Hopefully those will get posted in the next couple of weeks.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Sponz,

Thanks for your great work/contribution to FliteTest. You are doing a great job on the plans and it's appreciated.

And I'm loving the new 11x17" format. In the past I have either had the full size plans printed at the local Staples (larger planes) or printed the 8-1/2x11" on my laser printer at home (smaller planes).

My latest project is the X-29. Printing at home on 8-1/2x11" would have meant lots more cutting and taping, and printing full size at Staples in B&W architectural (5 pages) would cost about $17. Printing the 11x17" sheets is a great compromise as there is limited taping necessary and it only cost $3 for B&W printing (22 pages).

Again, awesome job.

JDill, thank you for the great feedback and the kind words friend. I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying the new 11 X 17 format. I told myself when I was going through the work to make that happen, that even if only one person benefited from it, it would be worth it. So thanks for making it worth it. ;)

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Before Flite Fest South, if that helps.

SScout Cover Sample.png

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Sponz,
I was looking for the plans to the chuck gliders shown in the FT Store without any success. Am I missing something? Are they available or on their way?
—Jim

Official Response: The FT STEM Gliders were developed for the STEM curriculum. Since that curriculum is sold as a product to schools, and the gliders are part of that, Flite Test will NOT be releasing free plans for the STEM gliders.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
STEM Chuck Gliders

Official Response: The FT STEM Gliders were developed for the STEM curriculum. Since that curriculum is sold as a product to schools, and the gliders are part of that, Flite Test will NOT be releasing free plans for the STEM gliders.
Bummer! Of course that was not the answer I was hoping for but I can hardly complain considering how generous FT is. I trust their reasoning. Thanks Dan.

Nevertheless this does reveal a bit of a void in our list of available plans. As a grandfather desiring to share the hobby frugally as I get to see the youngins this Thanksgiving I'll be looking to see what I can find so I can travel light (Racine, WI area) and leave them with something fun. Perhaps there'll be some budding flyers just waiting to come out.

FoamyDM, thank you very much for the suggestion. I think that will do nicely. I can print the plans here, get them ready, and then get the foam in the wonderful land of cheese to do the build(s).

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
You could also maybe think of the FT glider golf set. I am not sure of the plans are all in one pdf but the three plane plans are available as far as I know in Sponz list of published releases.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Bummer! Of course that was not the answer I was hoping for but I can hardly complain considering how generous FT is. I trust their reasoning. Thanks Dan.

Nevertheless this does reveal a bit of a void in our list of available plans. As a grandfather desiring to share the hobby frugally as I get to see the youngins this Thanksgiving I'll be looking to see what I can find so I can travel light (Racine, WI area) and leave them with something fun. Perhaps there'll be some budding flyers just waiting to come out.

FoamyDM, thank you very much for the suggestion. I think that will do nicely. I can print the plans here, get them ready, and then get the foam in the wonderful land of cheese to do the build(s).

I'm working on a little something...

Intruder Glider v0.3 - IMG01.png

I designed a new glider hook and a glider to go with it. Need to print the hook, build the prototype and get it flying. If it all works out, I will share all the files. Hopefully in time for your trip to the land of the cheese Jim.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Thank y'all

You could also maybe think of the FT glider golf set. I am not sure of the plans are all in one pdf but the three plane plans are available as far as I know in Sponz list of published releases.

I'm working on a little something...

View attachment 96231

I designed a new glider hook and a glider to go with it. Need to print the hook, build the prototype and get it flying. If it all works out, I will share all the files. Hopefully in time for your trip to the land of the cheese Jim.

Ok so between all y'all (including Ben and FoamyDM) I got no excuse to not have something for the kiddos.

Thanks guys.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Some small tweaks needed for the plans, but I'm happy with it so far. Just dialing in the CG. Once I get the CG close, I will add some cavities to add a penny or two for balance.

22522177_1706138662754416_1587046384_o.jpg

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Also designed a Cesna 152 glider.

22664089_1710213759013573_447245207_o.jpg

It flies better than the Intruder right now. Also, check out the handle I designer for the launcher. It works perfectly and it's pretty comfortable to grip. I'm pretty happy with it.