SP0NZ - Plans Index

Mortis

Viggen: I haven't started yet.
Long-EZ hasn't been released yet, ETA TBD.
Spitfire: look in the older format plans in the second post, it's there. Will be re-releasing updated plans for this one.
Dusty: I haven't started yet.
Ripslinger (aka FT Racer): look in the older format plans in the second post, it's there. Will be re-releasing updated plans for this one.
Vampire: ???? Do you know something I don't. I've never seen or heard mention of an FT Vampire.

I think @Wingman04 was talking about this one: https://www.flitetest.com/articles/whomz-vampire-free-plans

I'd love to see @SPONZ style plans for it, your drawings are awesome!

epsilon

Dan,

If and when you ever get around to the Viggen, can i suggest putting the posterboard cone on a single sheet? Thank you sir...

jajefan

Dan,

This might be a strange question that might not apply to many, but I was wondering if you still have old versions of all the new plans, or if you simply make the new plans from scratch? This is because I have easy access to my local makerspace's laser cutter, and I have been using Coreldraw to format the new style plans to make them cut-able by the laser, and the new plans take way longer to format (because of all the individual objects, etc) than the old ones used to (takes a few hours of desk work for me :(). If you have any of the old plans (I see that some of them are still old format in your index), it would be great if you could also attach them to the index, just to help out people like myself who have access to laser cutters.

Additionally, I've created a spreadsheet to keep track of my FliteTest journey. I'm relatively new to the hobby, as evidenced by my new member status, and it's been really useful for me. However, the reason I'm mentioning this is because as I was creating the spreadsheet, I noticed that certain planes were missing from your index. Here's a copy of my list as of 6/2/18: http://bit.ly/FTScratchbuildIndex

I realize others have posted about missing plans as well, but I just thought that it would be good to conglomerate every FT plane released into an easy-to-read format for better awareness of everything. I hope you find this useful! (I bet you already have one, don'tcha?)

One final thing that the community might find useful is a complete editable (just make your own copy) supplies template for every FT scratchbuild. Helps me keep track of my organization/what to buy or get for every plane I begin making : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bLc7oO___5FBJU8_Qq6wjyWZPLqThYKL/view?usp=sharing

I've read some of your earlier posts about how busy you are this upcoming FliteFest season, so please take everything I've mentioned with a grain of salt, and to not let it disrupt your work for everybody else. The community greatly appreciates everything that you've done, and I wanted to help in any way possible. Thanks!

Last edited:

Coopers87

Do you know when the spitfire plans will be re-done to the new style plans as I want to start a scratch build of one but would rather have the newer plans If there coming soon.
Lee

Chuppster

Do you know when the spitfire plans will be re-done to the new style plans as I want to start a scratch build of one but would rather have the newer plans If there coming soon.
Lee
I don't want to put words in Sponz's mouth, but it sounds like he is plenty busy with other things ATM. I would recommend just building it with the plans that are there, they still work after all!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
This might be a strange question that might not apply to many, but I was wondering if you still have old versions of all the new plans, or if you simply make the new plans from scratch? This is because I have easy access to my local makerspace's laser cutter, and I have been using Coreldraw to format the new style plans to make them cut-able by the laser, and the new plans take way longer to format (because of all the individual objects, etc) than the old ones used to (takes a few hours of desk work for me :(). If you have any of the old plans (I see that some of them are still old format in your index), it would be great if you could also attach them to the index, just to help out people like myself who have access to laser cutters.

Not a strange question, I've been asked many times. ;) The short answer is no, I cannot. The plans are formatted to help scratch builders and supplement the build videos. Flite Test made the call to move to this format and not release just basic line drawings. There are was to make the process of cleanup for CAM files a little easier. Search the forums and you should be able to find some rather quickly.

Additionally, I've created a spreadsheet to keep track of my FliteTest journey. I'm relatively new to the hobby, as evidenced by my new member status, and it's been really useful for me. However, the reason I'm mentioning this is because as I was creating the spreadsheet, I noticed that certain planes were missing from your index. Here's a copy of my list as of 6/2/18: http://bit.ly/FTScratchbuildIndex

I realize others have posted about missing plans as well, but I just thought that it would be good to conglomerate every FT plane released into an easy-to-read format for better awareness of everything. I hope you find this useful! (I bet you already have one, don'tcha?)

That's a nice list! I do have my own that I use to track similar things, as well as a few more details for the plans index. Meaningful for me, but probably useless to anyone else. The index only lists the plans that I have redrawn. As back catalog files get redrawn, they will get added to the list over time.

One final thing that the community might find useful is a complete editable (just make your own copy) supplies template for every FT scratchbuild. Helps me keep track of my organization/what to buy or get for every plane I begin making : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bLc7oO___5FBJU8_Qq6wjyWZPLqThYKL/view?usp=sharing

That's a nice document for other scratch builders. Thanks for creating and sharing it.

I've read some of your earlier posts about how busy you are this upcoming FliteFest season, so please take everything I've mentioned with a grain of salt, and to not let it disrupt your work for everybody else. The community greatly appreciates everything that you've done, and I wanted to help in any way possible. Thanks!

Yup...busy, busy, busy. Sometimes I bite off more than I can chew. And it seems like every year I manage to create some time consuming project(s) to work on for Flite Fest. That said with Flite Fest and other Flite Test projects on my plate at the moment, I won't have much time to work on the older plans until the middle or end of July.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Lee

The link for the FT Spitfire plans in the 2nd post are redrawn plans, just not the most current format. Still tiled with all the additional cavity, bevel cuts, labels, etc. Give those a try. ;)

Coopers87

Ok that’s fine, just wasn’t sure if there was going to be any other changes made at the same time was all, will just have to make two if there is a newer version lol👍
Lee

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Ok that’s fine, just wasn’t sure if there was going to be any other changes made at the same time was all, will just have to make two if there is a newer version lol👍
Lee
I haven't heard any news on the V2 Spitfire for quite some time. It might be a while yet.

Hey Dan! I'm a average plan maker but a brilliant designer! Jokes aside I was wondering what you use to create your plans. The design I wish to bring to the world deserve a clear and obvious blueprint, but I'm not sure where to start to turn engineering drawings into concise pictures anyone can read.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I use AutoCAD. If you are looking for a free alternative take a look at Double CAD XT. @localfiend has created templates in Double CAD XT to format plans similar to what I do for Flite Test. If you search the forums for "templates" you'll find it pretty quickly.