Spacewalker balsa build: HobbyKing Sponsored

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
What spinner did you use, it looks great. It looks like an air cooling one, I was thinking about one of those for my Hog Bipe build.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
No picture updates as I hope to shoot a video update later today. Just not feeling up to it yesterday as I seem to be fighting some sort of cold.

The short of it is that she is ready to fly. The ailerons are installed and linked as well as shaped, covered, and installed the empennage pieces. I plugged in all the lights to the control unit per the instructions and put it on CH5. Assigned it to a switch and you just cycle through the different programmings until you get to the one you want listed in the instructions. VERY simple and works as advertised. I set the control throws and expo per the instructions. As this is more of a sport flyer, I did use the recommended 25% expo. I'm more of a 60% guy but that just helps me with finer movements to fly more scale. I hope to really be able to throw this one around.

The CG instructed is 90mm from the leading edge at the root and my 5000mAh 4S graphene pack gets me just forward of that at 80mm. A good place to start for a maiden.

I did a power-up with my watt meter in place and I'm pulling 750W at about 60A... right on the money where I need to be. The ESC is rated for 60A continuous and the motor is rated up to 820W continuous. I'm not going for speed but some good thrust to carry me through some heavy-handed maneuvers. I did not get her on the scale to get an AUW yet... seems I always forget to get that number for you guys and gals. Comparing to the weight of the Bugatti, she is very much less than 7 pounds so power to weight ratio is good. Once again, THe SK3 series of motors and YEP ESCs continue to impress me. Estimations on eCalc show a mixed flying time of around 20 minutes... I can handle that! Even on a 2200 4S mixed time is around 8 minutes. SO I have options here. The CG may be adequately moved back so I'll have a look at that.

I want to comment here on the servos. I've been using Futaba full-sized servos for many years and the S3001 servos have been pulling their weight well. Shoot, even the S3010 I thought were fantastic on the Bugatti elevator and rudder controls. The centering on these servos is top-notch as well as extremely precise movements. The torque is even and shows absolutely not strain. Very very impressed with these servos. While I am aware that digital servos do draw a bit more current than the analog counterparts, the response time and accuracy are worth the little bit of extra power draw.

I got the pilot screwed in and the windshield on as well. She really is all set. Weather does not look promising for this coming weekend's fry and fly but it could change. We shall see.

rodsprint

Been following your build with great interest, as i started my build around the same time, I seem to be lagging behind now though. IMG_0737.JPG

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
The video production is good, but the characters are not believable. I give it 3 stars.

Oh come on, this was obviously a satirical take on other channels of this nature, in which the main character is behaving in an exaggerated manner. The point was for the characters not to be believable. :p

I give 5*

All kidding aside, great video, and the production quality is very good. Maybe turn down the music when you start talking. Otherwise very good.

As for aircraft additions, it needs a tail number, and maybe a classic EAA decal on the rudder.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
@ rodsprint: Great work! the landing gear is pretty simple stuff. You are very close and could still fly before me! Fall weather seems to have set in hard right now.

@ Joker: This is only slightly more acted up than my usual "drama queen" self. ;p

@ Akimbo: Noted on the music, I was unsure of the music but your opinion is noted! Valuable feedback as I continue to learn to properly balance things in post. Tail number is on the list of things to do... not sure what just yet. and I like the EAA decal idea... I need a reference.. got one?

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Got to love the excitement before a maiden! Looks great! Bad weather will make the wait even harder, but at least you can double and triple check everything...

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
I have the current EAA logo in vector in case you want to go that route. Could probably recreate the classic logo in vector.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Looks like the weather outlook is changing for Saturday so I may get this one in the air then. Really looking forward to it.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
I'm very much considering picking up that kit. I know you said it isn't a beginner's build, but at that price it's one of the nicer balsa options out there.

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
If you follow along with this thread, you shouldn't face anything you can't overcome. Just be prepared to work a little more for the end result.

If you guys do buy this kit based on this review, try and let HobbyKing know somehow so that willsonman gets to do more of these. It's a win for everyone.

Geeto67

Posting Elsewhere
I always get nervous when HK discounts stuff - usually means it's about to be discontinued. I missed out on their Waco Cabin Biplane last year because of this.