Spacewalker balsa build: HobbyKing Sponsored

Michael9865

Elite member
Unfortunate, but I am sure that you are neither the first or last to make that error. Reminder to us all to make outlines of kit parts not on plans.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Ouch! Painful reminder about thorough pre-flight checks. I've skipped them once, then twice, then it's a dozen times. But eventually it'll be one time too many. Sorry for your loss :cry: but you do have an empty space in the hangar now - and that means room for another plane! :D

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
You could fix it FT style with some packing tape and hot glue to get it in the air, then have a spectacular crash to end it with a bang!

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
All good sentiments and points guys. I like to keep my electronics in as pristine shape as possible for re-use. Part of my frugality. I did think about trying to fly it as-is... 0.75% of a wing with one aileron and no rudder control. Then I thought better. The airplane had been gutted and I hacked off the tail from the fuselage to mount on my wall as a trophy. Wing was broken in half and put in the garbage can with the other remains. Yes, I know, it COULD have been re-built. I have some many projects on the to-do list that it was just not worth it. It was a fun airplane and I really did have my fun with it.

I'll use the motor and ESC to get my Kyosho Pitts back in the air. The digital HK servos are super nice and I will likely need them in the P-47 build I am currently doing.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Ya, I know what you mean, I did the same thing with my Taylorcraft when I destroyed it, save the electronics and use them for later.

Hi guys! I have just bought a slightly scaled down (1000mm) version of this spacewalker model. I was just wondering whether the formers that are glued onto e4 are glued onto e4 at a 90 degree angle or parallel to the front half of the plane?
Thanks in advance,
Jacob

Shaul

Good question. Neither.
E4 is a slanted "floor" so it is certainly not 90 degrees.
Making it parallel to the front half of the plane is difficult.
What I did here, and in many other locations was to put everything in place then glue it.
Mind you that I concluded my work on this plane a few months ago so I don't remember the specific details, but it seems to me that you will have to:
1. Insert the following parts in E4: C10, C13, C15, C27, A13, A12 but don't glue them yet.
2. Note that these parts are asymmetrical - Make sure that the little holes in these parts are oriented exactly as in the manual.
3. Carefully add one A5 part (e.g. the right side) and make sure all parts are tightly inserted into both E4 and A5.
4. Place the fuselage on its (right) side and put the other A5 tightly in place.
5. If all is exactly in place - glue C10, C13, C15, C27, A13, A12 to E4 (only) while both A5 parts are still attached.
6. You can now carefully dismantle one or both A5 parts and add some glue if necessary, or continue with F7, A12, A4, C7 and other related parts.

Shaul

Here's a question related to the Landing Gear.

Well, the stock landing gear is really good for perfect landings only. Hard landings always result in a collapse of the thinner, rear part. The good new is that is absorbs the energy and thus saves the wing. The bad news is that it absorbs the the energy by bending rather than by flexing. It is just too thin.
detached.jpg

On Wing.jpg

And the question is, what would you do?
Replace? what with? Reinforce? How?

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Bend it back and try to land more gently. Sometimes we need known failure points to make us better pilots.

Shaul

Already did. Ah, land gently... well, this one insists on stalling a foot in the air. Perhaps I should spin the prop while at it.

Yakatak

First of all thanks to everyone for this great forum. Hope this is the right spot to ask a question. I am thinking of getting this kit and would like to fit an IC 4S engine rather than elec. What are your thoughts?

JohnFR

Thanks for the excellent build log. I am building one at the moment and would like to know if you ever found a use for the 4 pieces A14, 3 pieces C8 and the 3 pieces A18? I have checked the manual minutely and can find no mention of these parts.

Shaul

It's quite a long time but still. A14 and C8 do not ring a bell. There were quite a few parts that I left unused.
As for A18 (and A17): You might find them helpful for the cowling. I recall I used A17 as washers.

JohnFR

Thanks for the replies; I also had loads of G2's and G3's left over. You only need 6xG2 and 2x G3. Also E12's and E13's left over.
I have just discovered that I have an additional sheet of A17's and A18's in the dummy engine pack, so I think that you were right about the wooden washers, but I cannot figure what the 3xA18's are. Being a ply rounded rectangular ring, they look built for a very special purpose.