Special Planes from FT Foam Strategies

rrlouis

I've been learning from you for many years now, and have picked up many good ideas on working with your EZ build kits and electronics, as well as scratch built planes that I admire. The late Ron Anderson was a remarkable flyer and teacher. He created the Peach State Airodrome which is an historic model of the original Atlanta Airport that was owned by Asa Candler, the Coca-Cola magnate. Ron taught young boys and girls how to search for historic relic airplanes and restore them to their near original condition. He also taught many of them to become pilots. One such plane he was very fond of was the JN-4 Curtiss Jenny, which he along with kids restored to flying condition. Ron died in a crash in 2016, but I loved that plane and decided to build a flying model of it. I just finished it, and can't wait to maiden it. I used foamboard bought from your store, as well as Grayson Hobbies motor and ESC and other electronics. Not being able to find lightweight spoke wheels, I learned a method using a jig to make my own lightweight wheels from DuBro sport wheels with their centers cut out. I've included some pictures of it for you to see.

Attachments

• 20191019_103644.jpg
    20191019_103644.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20191019_103707.jpg
    20191019_103707.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20191019_103720.jpg
    20191019_103720.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20191019_103738.jpg
    20191019_103738.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I've been learning from you for many years now, and have picked up many good ideas on working with your EZ build kits and electronics, as well as scratch built planes that I admire. The late Ron Anderson was a remarkable flyer and teacher. He created the Peach State Airodrome which is an historic model of the original Atlanta Airport that was owned by Asa Candler, the Coca-Cola magnate. Ron taught young boys and girls how to search for historic relic airplanes and restore them to their near original condition. He also taught many of them to become pilots. One such plane he was very fond of was the JN-4 Curtiss Jenny, which he along with kids restored to flying condition. Ron died in a crash in 2016, but I loved that plane and decided to build a flying model of it. I just finished it, and can't wait to maiden it. I used foamboard bought from your store, as well as Grayson Hobbies motor and ESC and other electronics. Not being able to find lightweight spoke wheels, I learned a method using a jig to make my own lightweight wheels from DuBro sport wheels with their centers cut out. I've included some pictures of it for you to see.
Awesome - looks great!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
You sir, should be proud. That is a spectacular build. From the wire wheels to the wire stays, the steel on the front, the windscreens and the leather collars at the cockpit. Even the rear wheel. The slats on the rear turtle deck? The wood bracers? Just wonderful. That is an amazingly detailed and well built tribute. Congratulations and welcome to our Forum Family! (y)(y)

rrlouis

You sir, should be proud. That is a spectacular build. From the wire wheels to the wire stays, the steel on the front, the windscreens and the leather collars at the cockpit. Even the rear wheel. The slats on the rear turtle deck? The wood bracers? Just wonderful. That is an amazingly detailed and well built tribute. Congratulations and welcome to our Forum Family! (y)(y)
Thank you! Now, the challenge is to maiden it! Hoping for a scale flight and safe landing.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
That is an amazing plane, I love the biplanes, and your Curtiss Jenny is great. The stainless steel in the front is crazy cool. I have seen that decaling at the craft and dollar stores and wondered how that could be applied to a plane. At first I thought it would be corny, like a little 6 year old girl put it on with stickers of unicorns and rainbows. Now looking at this I see what kind of vision you have and took something like this stuff next level. Really great work and good luck on the maiden. Welcome to the forums

rrlouis

Thanks! The tribute to historic planes is what I like best about this hobby. See the real plane this model is taken from, and related links.
https://images.app.goo.gl/K9E4Hp3kaoxkAXjy5