Spektrum AR 400 and 610 antenna issue - Repairable?

Captain Video

I have a Spektrum AR 400 and 610. Both have antenna which have broken at the chassis of the rcvr. The coaxial wire is pretty small diameter. Is anyone aware if this is a DYI repairable issue. I am no slouch with a soldering iron. Thoughts? BTW I have basically switched over to using Lemon Rx because of the antenna issue and the price difference too.
Thanks in advance!

Reactions: FDS

Turbojoe

Elite member
I have a Spektrum AR 400 and 610. Both have antenna which have broken at the chassis of the rcvr. The coaxial wire is pretty small diameter. Is anyone aware if this is a DYI repairable issue. I am no slouch with a soldering iron. Thoughts? BTW I have basically switched over to using Lemon Rx because of the antenna issue and the price difference too.
Thanks in advance!

Pack 'em up and send them to Horizon. Their service is amazing. I sent in 10 early DSM2 and DSMX RX's for checkout about 2 years ago. They made all repairs and updates. Even replaced one with a new RX. All that and return shipping for free! Makes me feel kinda guilty for buying so many Lemon RX's. ;)

Joe

Captain Video

Wow. What steps did you take with Spektrum. The Support part of the website is a little daunting. I've been frustrated before trying to get support and any information you may have would be great.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I have repaired the receiver antennas on the receiver that came with my Blade Conspiracy 220. It came with an AR400 style receiver, although it was a satellite receiver since it connected in to the FC, but it wasn't hard at all to fix. I had tried to solder the antenna together, but for all the hassle of trying to find shrink tubing that would go over the soldered piece, it wasn't worth it, especially when you can get 20 of them for $9 from Amazon.

I ordered this exact item:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FEEQTQ0/?tag=lstir-20

This particular order, per Amazon, is out of stock, but it's only for 5 antennas; 20 of them are $9 if you look at some of the "similar items".

When you go to do it, there's a little allen key screw at the bottom of the receiver that may have to be undone (at least, there was on mine), and then just pry the top of the receiver off GENTLY (if I remember correctly, there are little slots on each side that you can stick a precision flat tip screwdriver into and pop it loose on each side). Once you open it up, the antennae should be able to be popped off/pried off gently from their fixtures at the top, and the new antennae pressed on GENTLY (you don't need brute force for this; as it is, most of them will be held in place/pressed into place when you put the cover of the receiver back on).

Once you have popped off the old antennas and put the new ones on, follow the process in reverse to get the receiver put back together and get you flying again!

Turbojoe

Elite member
I have repaired the receiver antennas on the receiver that came with my Blade Conspiracy 220. It came with an AR400 style receiver, although it was a satellite receiver since it connected in to the FC, but it wasn't hard at all to fix. I had tried to solder the antenna together, but for all the hassle of trying to find shrink tubing that would go over the soldered piece, it wasn't worth it, especially when you can get 20 of them for $9 from Amazon.

I ordered this exact item:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FEEQTQ0/?tag=lstir-20

This particular order, per Amazon, is out of stock, but it's only for 5 antennas; 20 of them are $9 if you look at some of the "similar items".

When you go to do it, there's a little allen key screw at the bottom of the receiver that may have to be undone (at least, there was on mine), and then just pry the top of the receiver off GENTLY (if I remember correctly, there are little slots on each side that you can stick a precision flat tip screwdriver into and pop it loose on each side). Once you open it up, the antennae should be able to be popped off/pried off gently from their fixtures at the top, and the new antennae pressed on GENTLY (you don't need brute force for this; as it is, most of them will be held in place/pressed into place when you put the cover of the receiver back on).

Once you have popped off the old antennas and put the new ones on, follow the process in reverse to get the receiver put back together and get you flying again!

All of my Spektrum RX's are presently mounted in aircraft and I haven't opened one before. Those Amazon antennas look just like the ones on Lemon RX's that just slip on to a board mounted terminal. From the original post I was assuming his were soldered to the board.

In either case HH service was quite easy. Go to the Horizon website. Go to Support/Service Center/Launch Service Request Form. Fill it out and send it in. No credit card needed. In the unlikely event there will be any charges they will contact you with any billing. I got no contact. Everything just showed up about a week later with a receipt showing no charge for everything they did.

Joe

Reactions: FDS

Turbojoe

Elite member
Thanks for the information. FT Forum Rocks!

I'm curious. Let us know if the Lemon antennas are the same. I really don't want to rip a Spektrum RX out of an aircraft to find out. Post a picture of the Spektrum board and the antenna attachment point please.

Joe

Last edited: