Spektrum AR410 Binding

kingstat

I am super new to the hobby. I have a Devo 7e that I installed the deviation firmware on. I have used it successfully with a lemon Rx satellite. I am building a tiny trainer and purchased the Spektrum AR410 from flitetest for it. I've connected the ESC BEC to the AR410 (both battery connection or servo 1 tried) and pressed the button to start the binding process. Also tried holding bind button while connecting battery. In my devo, I created a new model, set it to dsmx (tried dsm2 as well), set channels to 4, and hit bind. I can't get it to bind. The light just continues to flash endlessly. A few times it actually stopped rapidly flashing, blinked 4(?) times, and then went out. Manual says it should go to a solid light. Also, the motor doesn't play any sounds when I pkug in ESC. Not sure if it should. I'm super frustrated at this point and could use some help if anyone has some ideas.

Thanks,
Jody

Theuglycamel

I do believe that the Devo 8 was the first to support DSM2/DSMX out of the box. Although the 7e has the CYRF6936 chipset, I believe there are hardware mods required along with your deviation software. I could be completely wrong but I'm sure someone will educate us both if so. Good luck and don't be scared of solder!

kingstat

The Devo 7e doesn't require hardware mods for the dsm2 or dsmx protocol, just needed the deviation software. I've had it working with a lemon satellite on my rotorx atom and that works fine. This one is just being stubborn.

Headbang

Master member
Although the button seems convenient, I still use the bind plug. Seems to take some of the frustration out of binding. That way you know for sure the rx is bind mode. After a failed bind the rx will will stop flashed. Cycle the power and try again. Seems to take me 2-10 tries with the tx in different positions each time till it works. After binding, disconnect the battery, remove the bind plug, reconnect the battery and double check it is all working.
Hope that helps.

kingstat

Although the button seems convenient, I still use the bind plug. Seems to take some of the frustration out of binding. That way you know for sure the rx is bind mode. After a failed bind the rx will will stop flashed. Cycle the power and try again. Seems to take me 2-10 tries with the tx in different positions each time till it works. After binding, disconnect the battery, remove the bind plug, reconnect the battery and double check it is all working.
Hope that helps.

It didn't come with a bind plug nor is there directions in the manual or indicators for which pins to short for binding. I can try it, but I don't know which pins.

Headbang

Master member
It didn't come with a bind plug nor is there directions in the manual or indicators for which pins to short for binding. I can try it, but I don't know which pins.
Ok. Did a little research. Even tho I buy spectrum recievers all the time. I have not seen that design before. It does not look it has a bind plug at all and you have to use the button.

FDS

Elite member
If you can't get it to bind, return it. If Deviation does support other protocols there are a ton of cheaper options such as the Flysky 4 channel and 6 channel receivers that might work better with your TX. There is no magic in DDSMX/Spektrum, its just a protocol.
The AR410 has no bind plug @Headbang, it's the new no antennae one. It doesn't have bind pins either!
You could check the number of channels, according to the Deviation manual the number of channels is defaulted to over 8, this might be a problem? It also says auto bind isn't supported in DSMX, which mens you will have to bind manually every time you want to fly, which is a pain. That would make me want to get a more native receiver protocol, whichever one binds automatically and has cheap basic receivers.
I like the Lemon 9g ones for DSMX, half the price of Spectrum ones and superb performance.

Paracodespoder

Elite member
I’ve found that when you bind do not release the bind switch on the transmitter until the light on the receiver turns solid, haven’t had a failed bind since learning that trick, and I have had to bind well over 15 times since then to switch models. It usually takes around ~20 seconds to do it, it shouldn’t take more than 30 seconds. Good luck 👍.

Reactions: FDS

kingstat

Thanks everyone for your help. The number of channels was correct.

It turned out that I had a lemon 6 channel reciever left over from when I used the satellite for my atom. This one bound without issues. I'll probably be returning the Spektrum unit.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
The only time I had an issue with binding for a Spektrum receiver, I was too close to the receiver. I had to put the receiver in bind mode, step back a minimum of 6 feet, and then attempt the binding from the transmitter. THEN it would bind. If I was too close (i.e., I had the receiver sitting on the bench in front of me and I was sitting at a chair at the bench) it wouldn't ever bind. Lesson learned; get some distance. :)

kingstat

The only time I had an issue with binding for a Spektrum receiver, I was too close to the receiver. I had to put the receiver in bind mode, step back a minimum of 6 feet, and then attempt the binding from the transmitter. THEN it would bind. If I was too close (i.e., I had the receiver sitting on the bench in front of me and I was sitting at a chair at the bench) it wouldn't ever bind. Lesson learned; get some distance. :)

I tried that as well. I did get a response in the deviation firmware forum to actually try increasing the number of channels to 8 instead of 4 that I was using. I'm going to try that when I get home today.

Theuglycamel

I can't leave a thread with mud on my face, I digress and apologize for misinformation. It was my understanding devo 8 was the first out of box dsmx compatible tx. I've been looking at jumper and flysky with the 4 n 1 tx just for this reason. It is odd that you're not getting the esc fireup beeps though... Hope you get it going kingstat!

FDS

Elite member
The Jumper T12 works very well with DSMX, plus it auto binds. Look out for the 4:1 module not being legal in certain countries, despite the fact the chances of the radio police arriving at your door being virtually nil unless you already did something silly like fly over a prohibited area.
The ESC may have a failsafe so it won’t initialise if there’s no radio signal?

kingstat

I finally got it to bind. I had to take the transmitter into a completely different room. Tried my very first flight today with a speed built tiny trainer. It did not go well and I went nose first into the ground. Broke some of the skewer holes and pushed the nose in. Also broke a servo loose. Going to get it put back together as much as possible and try on a calm day. Made me sad to see it all banged up so quickly. One thing that seems weird is I have to put the battery (850 3s) very far back to keep it from being really nose heavy. Not sure why the CG is so far forward.

FDS

Elite member
The TT is known for being nose heavy. It has effectively a long doubler with the detachable nose.
Run as light a motor as you can and have it as far back in the fuselage as possible. I also run a much lighter battery in my TT, a 500mah 2s, it was giving me 6 min flights and kept weight down.
I would add some degrees of UP elevator trim before your next flight, also make sure the power pod has the thrust angle set up correctly. You will likely have to replace the power pod and firewall too.
When you launch the TT, throw it at 60%+ throttle with the nose up a little, from just below the front inch of the wing, give it a firm left hand throw and use right hand on the elevator/aileron. Put about 50% aileron movement and 35-40% expo on your low rates set up, everything else set to the FT movement gauge.
If you are flying the 3ch wing then 30% expo on everything and be careful not to over correct, add a little up aileron (too much and you stall) and launch the same as above.
You can fly in up to 10mph winds fine, in fact a little wind on launch helps get you up. Launch dead into the wind and go at least 60ft (3 storey house high) before making any turn.

kingstat

I am starting with the 3ch wing. I'm hoping to fix the damage and try again this weekend. I've been playing around with a simulator on my phone just to get some virtual practice going. I am also still trying to decipher the manual on programming the Devo7e I added deviationtx firmare to so that I can program in expo. Does the expo just make it so that the stick movements have an exponential impact the further out you move them?

FDS

Elite member
It softens the centre movement, compensating for noobish fingers. Essentially yes it increases movement further out. Setting the rates lower is as useful IMO, especially on the ailerons, I found I could only fly well with about 40% rates on them to begin with. Worth putting on a switch so you can play later in the flight at altitude with more control surface movements . I find 4 ch easier than 3 but you have to try both to find out!