Spektrum Autobind / BIND(s) FAILED

outthayr

I've got two quads which in the past have flown without issue. I put them away for a few months and when I got home one wouldn't bind and the other was fine. I thought I'd try to swap out the Spektrum DSMX quad race receiver as I have the same on each quad. Also, I'm using a DX6e Tx.

I got the "bad" RX to power up and go into bind mode on the working quad, but it would not bind. I tried the working RX on the non-working drone and the RX would power up but not bind. So, then I put the working RX back on the working drone and... it would not bind. Made sure I was connected to the right port, getting 3.3v, proper transmitter settings... at one point I got it to bind and I flew for a day, and when I had some video issues I had to unplug the RX to get into the quad. Plugging the RX back in and I'm back to BIND FAILED world.

On the nonworking quad the RX will not light up and go into bind mode (the working RX would power up so I don't think getting 3.3v is the issue).

Recently I tried updating firmware, and I again checked all the ports and voltage. I also tried the command lines through Betaflight to put the RX into bind mode, I guess that kind of worked as I can get into bind mode easily enough... but I still cannot bind my TX. Yes, I stood various distances away and pointed my TX in everywhichway direction. Perhaps it's just time to give up on Spektrum? I've got some Crossfire gear sitting in a box... was thinking of trying of the FrSky X-Lite!?

Vortex 250 - IRCFUSIONF3 (*seems to only be the Spektrum RX causing issues)
FlexRC Owl (DIY) - SIRINFPV (*could be an issue with the board? I'm ready to gut this little quad and do a re-build.)

Last edited:

FDS

Elite member
Be aware the larger crossfire module doesn’t fit the X Lite without modifications. I bought my 9XD second hand. The new Jumper T16 is well worth a look too, plus it has multi protocol out the box and is less than the X lite.
This seems to be a common problem on the Spektrum autobind receivers.

Last edited:

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Why are you binding all the time? It should be a one time thing per model. Once you're bound, always turn on the Tx first and have the correct model selected before powering up the copter and you should be good to go.

Reactions: FDS

Bricks

Master member
Do you have any other planes that are setup, are they working correctly. Which receivers are your using?

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Have you tried stepping back around 15 ft while binding? Spektrum binding up close has always been iffy, and I've gotten the Bind Failed message a few times. However, after backing up about 10-15 ft, it always seems to bind fine. I had read over on RCG somewhere that the signal intensity up close played funny things with the binding process.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Have you tried stepping back around 15 ft while binding? Spektrum binding up close has always been iffy, and I've gotten the Bind Failed message a few times. However, after backing up about 10-15 ft, it always seems to bind fine. I had read over on RCG somewhere that the signal intensity up close played funny things with the binding process.

JUST about to suggest this. I've had this same problem with Spektrum and OrangeRX receivers. I see it all the time when I plug in my USB wireless dongle for sims, and have to re-bind. I step back about 6 ft, and try to bind. If that doesn't work, I'll hold the transmitter above my head and attempt a re-binding, and that usually does it.