Spektrum DSM2 Users

Geronimo11P

I have a DX6i and i have never had a problem. I have about 5 micos and only 1 large plane right now (Parkzone T28D) so im not sure how it would react with more planes. But, counting my entire family's planes we have about 10 and i think i have flown almost every one of them and never had a problem with one of those, also my uncle uses an OrangeRx in one of his planes and it has always worked fine.

Number 2

I have had my DX6i for 4-5 years and only had 1 or 2 brownouts in all that time.
However, 2 weeks ago while flying my new flying wing I was unable to turn but everything seamed to
be working on the ground. I went to the monitor screen and found that the Ale was not moving and the
rudder was not moving properly. I checked with Horizon and I got a e-mail back saying that they could repair it for $30 an hour plus parts and shipping. I found a vid on YouTube where a guy had a simmilar problem and was able to repair his raido by cleaning the potentiometers. But of course it did not work for me. Would I buy another Spektrum radio for what I fly micros and foamies sure. But I would have to think long and hard if I start flying big and expensive planes.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
I have had my DX6i for 4-5 years xxx I checked with Horizon and I got a e-mail back saying that they could repair it for $30 an hour plus parts and shipping. I found a vid on YouTube where a guy had a simmilar problem and was able to repair his raido by cleaning the potentiometers. xxx

You can have problems with any transmitter when they are used a lot. I have seen similar problems with Futaba and Hitec after some years and I bet that it is the same for all brands. Some of the problems could be solved by cleaning the inside of the TX with alcohol and a tiny brush.

I needed spare parts for my old DX7 and got the same answer as you got "lots of dollar an hour plus shipping cost" resulting in a more expensive repair than the value of the transmitter. I checked locally and in UK and got the same answer but got the advice to check with Horizon Hobby "mainland" meaning German if you live in Europe.
They got me my spare parts for the cost of a few dollars delivered home to my post box without any need to send the transmitter to the service place.

If I hadn't read anything about it I would never consider that I would have any trouble with the dsm2. I have had my radio for almost two years without glitch. A quick question if you go to the DSMX radios will it still talk to the orange recievers?
Thanks!

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
A quick question if you go to the DSMX radios will it still talk to the orange recievers?
Thanks!
It works for me. I have a DX7 from summer 2007 and a DX8 from summer 2011. Both works fine with my Orange RX.
The Orange identifies as a 1024 RX (old low res).

It works for me. I have a DX7 from summer 2007 and a DX8 from summer 2011. Both works fine with my Orange RX.
The Orange identifies as a 1024 RX (old low res).

Good to hear. Have you been happy with the DX8? I am debating going to it or trying to a Futaba 8 fg super. Would love any input that might be out there.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
I am happy with my spektrum DX8. I would probably be just as happy with a Futaba but i have seen all to many skilled pilots starting their plane with the wrong model memory not to appreciate the model match feature in the Spektrum. I am just sorry that not all brands have the feature and also the special dedicated LOCK button used on Hitec Optic to disable the throttle. Both are safety features i would like to see on all radios.

I am sorry but it is not always obvius to go through the check list before each and every flight if you are flying all day and have some planes to switch between.

I am also expecting Spektrum to beef up the new radios with more channels just as Futaba has done.

Number 2

I talked to Horizion Hobbies at the JR Indoorfest and they told me it was a known problem and was a free repair!
I just sent my transmitter off this a.m. I will post here any updates I get until I get my radio back in to my sweaty hands.

Number 2

I just got my DX6i back from Horizon on 11/21. They replaced the gimbals and re-flashed the transmiter with the latest firmware, All I had to pay for was the shipping back to Horizon.
Everything works great! Bring on indoor season!!

JohnnyArctic

i'm another satisfied dx6i user. i've not had any problems but i really only fly small so haven't put it through its paces.

glydr

How many letters do we ge
DX7 for a very long time. Only one bind issue with an orange rx, only once.

There is a problem with the dx5e power switch going on and off very quickly without being touched. In fact the only place I'd use a dx5 is on the sim.

Looking to upgrade and will stay dsm2 for convenience.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
There is a problem with the dx5e power switch going on and off very quickly without being touched. In fact the only place I'd use a dx5 is on the sim.
Will that be from the batteries? Not one pilot i know rely on separate AA-cells but replace them with a battery pack connected with a connector. That is same with all brands of cheaper TX.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I've had my DX6i for about two years and it's been flawless! On the other hand I used my DX8 with the 9ch. Orange RX and experienced my first brown out ever, at least I guess it was a brown out. I totally lost all control of the model for about 1.5 seconds and then regained control. I thought it was a fluke but it has done this on three flights now, the third flight ending in disaster for the model. The same DX8 has been flawless with AR500 and AR600 RX's but not with the Orange. I tried to save $30 but it ended up costing me way more in the long run! My DX8 is out...here comes a Futaba 8FG Super!

sandblaster

Did you make sure it was set for the US? Did you do a range check with both to see what the difference might be? Could be a bad receiver or something else. Always so curious about the root cause when someone says a certain brand X is at fault without careful checking and be sure one has done all pre-fight test as recommenced.

Just curious.

X-Jet Channel expert says the DSM2 is not the best. The newer DSMX Spectrum receivers are the real deal to stop the brown outs. i wonder if it has a lot to do with location. Some areas will cause brown out, others have no problem. Seems the newer DSMX receiver with the DX8 would be the answer over changing radios.

I'm all new at this and still trying to learn it all.

Last edited:

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I called the hobby shop yesteday and they said that Spektrum replaced the xmtr again for free. This time replacing the DSM2 Dx5e with a DSMX Dx5e. With all the frustration I really must say that they have been very customer friendly.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I did not make sure my DX8 was set for the US. I bought it here so I never new it was an option to change. Like I said, I've never had a problem with my DX6i. For the brownouts, I blame the Orange RX since my DX8 has been fine with the two other planes I have bound to it which have AR500 and AR600 in them. I know there have been a few recalls on the DX8 but I'm not blaming it for the brown out. I'm just gonna leave my Spektrum TXs for my park fliers/BNF stuff and use the Futaba for the larger, more expensive models.

*Edit*
I just checked my DX8 and it's set for US-247 for the region.

Last edited: