Spektrum DX5e bound to AR400 receiver but will not control Atom V3

The receiver that I have uses 3.3v rather than 5v. The main power on the pad is 5v. The board is really well setup, it just is better if you don't try to be cheap and don't buy connectors that are highly recommend. Also flux might be a good investment.

Reactions: FDS
Wow, it has been awhile since I have been able to work on this quad. I pulled out my quad this evening and installed the new board, soldered the wiring harness to the receiver, plugged in the receiver to my board, tried it out on Cleanflight, sent the bind command to my copter, and started my transmitter in bind mode.

Still at the same square as before. Still no lights flashing on my lemon-rx satellite receiver. Still no controller input on Cleanflight.

I am 100% positive my wiring is correct, I replaced my FC, could it be my satellite receiver that is bad? I never plugged it into the 5v power so it shouldn't be fried. When I first plug in the quad to Cleanflight via the Micro USB, the lights on the receiver flicker, but do not stay on. No lights on the receiver after initial connection.

Im now back at school so my time to work on the quad is quite limited, but I would still like to get this quad to work at some point. Any ideas or direction for helping me get this quad running would be greatly appreciated.

I did find that this thread was quite useful in configuring my quad for putting it into bind mode.
https://www.propwashed.com/spektrum-receivers-with-betaflight/

Thanks Y'all

FDS

Elite member
Buy a better receiver. Spektrum now make a quad receiver or the LemonRX satellite ones are OK for less money.

Bricks

Master member
Using a satellite receiver it needs to be bound with a regular receiver first, at least that is what I have had to do in the past. Set up your model in the transmitter plug in the satellite to receiver put receiver into bind mode then bind, should be good to go.

Buy a better receiver. Spektrum now make a quad receiver or the LemonRX satellite ones are OK for less money.
So, you are recommending that I buy another Lemon receiver? I have to stay with DSM2 protocol or dish out a couple hundred for a new transmitter and receiver that uses DSMX. I am trying to get my quad to operate as cheaply as possible.

Thanks for the feedback.

FDS

Elite member
According to Spektrum DSM2 should be forward compatible with DSMX. See bottom of page here.
You could use a Lemon DSM2 satellite. Not tried one of those on a quad myself but my plane one has been fine. They have a good reputation, although old.
You could ask your preferred supplier if the new Spektrum quad receiver will work with your TX or email Spektrum support.
Also you can get a TX that does DSMX, DSM2 and Frsky D8/D16, Flysky, toys and more, all for under $100? With OpenTX and Hall effect gimbals. It’s the Jumper T12.

man-bot

Soulds to me like the port you attached the receiver to is not properly assigned.

Look at the documentation and see what uart you physically attached the signal wire too.

Make sure that is the port assigned and then go in and make sure the proper protocol is set on that port.

Be sure to save it each time. If you leave a page to do other things on a new page any unsaved changes on the page you left revert to what they were.

Reactions: FDS
I did check the documentation and the UART port, which is UART 2. I also was very meticulous to save stuff before leaving the pages in clean flight. Should I assume that I have a faulty Lemon-RX receiver or is there other things that I can still try. When I plug in the RX, there is red light that flashes once as the quad gets power, but then nothing.

At this point I am wondering if I should order another Lemon or continue trouble shooting. Any more trouble shooting suggestions would be appreciated at this point but I can get another lemon, but those do take about 2 weeks to get the US...

Not like time really is a major factor right now for me...

Thanks y'all.

So, about a year later and I have decided to revisit this build with more patience and determination to try to finish it this time.

I am thinking about purchasing a Spektrum DXe controller, but in doing some research, I am not finding anything denoting whether or not this controller is compatible with custom built multi rotors. On Spektrum's website I noticed that they recommend programming the controller via bluetooth and a phone or with a PC and programming cable. I like this idea of moving forward with the DXe because it would enable me to operate the quad without trying to jury rig parts like lemon rx etc.

So with this in mind, does anyone know if this would work? I looked at another thread to try to determine if this would work, but the individual didn't specify whether or not they got the quad connected and working with the spektrum system.

outthayr

I always gravitated towards the Spektrum SPM4648 as the autobind feature helped with my lack of knowledge. One day I plugged one in and the light didn't blink, uh oh... time to learn. After a couple years in the game I was finally able to bind a lemon to my DX6e with the CLI commands - pat myself on the back. I have a new DSMX SRXL2 but haven't wired it to anything yet. I wouldn't think anything you've mentioned would be incompatible - perhaps just a matter of getting all the right settings in order?

As for wiring/soldering - I've often found issues arising from bad ground connections (loose, power and ground at separate locations, bad battery connection, etc). Makes me wonder when you said the RX light flickers and goes off.

At one point I realized when purchasing an RX, it was better to just get a couple of them! Without fail each time I've figured something out with say the RX, I then learn something that has to change with the TX, and then with a BetaFlight setting, and then it usually goes in a circle back to learning something about the RX... what a fun hobby, eh?

https://www.propwashed.com/spektrum-receivers-with-betaflight/