Spektrum DX5e bound to AR400 receiver but will not control Atom V3

I just bought an Atom V3 kit build. I thought my hobby flying days were over because it was getting too expensive, but then I saw that the Atom V3 which I had been watching about 2-3 years ago when it first came out on FT's store, had a major price cut. So I bought it.

Now I have assembled the copter, and now I'm trying to figure out how to get things programmed in beta flight. TJ's instructional video is only helpful if you have the exact same controller and receiver. In order to make the case of the copter fit, I broke off the extra pins that I didn't need on the AR400 receiver and directly soldered the correct lines to each other. My questions are, what settings do I need to have in beta flight to allow the quad to function and how do I program the individual channels (throttle, pitch, yaw, etc) into the controller. I do not have any response from the controller to the quad but the bind light on the controller is properly lit.

I would like to avoid having to buy a new transmitter and receiver as a new transmitter would be more than the price of the quad.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-11 at 8.15.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-11 at 8.15.52 PM.png
    157.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2497.png
    IMG_2497.png
    12.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2496.png
    IMG_2496.png
    10.7 MB · Views: 0

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
That receiver is PWM only, if your FC has PWM inputs you connect the signal pin of each channel of the Rx to them. A better option is a serial receiver, Spektrum makes good ones, there are off brands like lemon and orange that work okay and are really cheap.

Reactions: FDS
What does PWM stand for. I am not very well versed in the abbreviations regarding RC. It is a TBS flight controller. Here is the link to there website with the specs below it.

https://www.team-blacksheep.com/products/prod:tbs_pcv2_2in1

If I need to get a new receiver or off brand receiver, will I need to get a new transmitter as the DX 5e is now a discontinued product and the main interface on it is servo reversing and servo mixing for airplanes... I am wondering about the compatibility...

Thanks for responding so fast too!!

I just looked through the spec sheet again and just realized that it says it has: "6 PWM ESC output channels (autoconnect, internal BUS)." So I guess my receiver would work with this flight controller? My next question would be how do I set the receiver up. What markings do I need to be looking for on the flight controller for connecting my receiver to it, etc.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
I just looked through the spec sheet again and just realized that it says it has: "6 PWM ESC output channels (autoconnect, internal BUS)." So I guess my receiver would work with this flight controller? My next question would be how do I set the receiver up. What markings do I need to be looking for on the flight controller for connecting my receiver to it, etc.

PWM outputs are what control the motors. From the link you posted I saw - PPM, SBUS, DSM, DSMX input, no PWM unfortunately.

Your radio uses DSM2 (not the newer DSMX) and will be able to bind with any DSM2 receiver.

This thread should answer a bunch of questions for you.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
In looking through your article @ElectriSean, it seems that I probably will be needing to get a Satellite Receiver for this project. Is this one of a type that you would be having in mind?
https://www.lemon-rx.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=98
Thanks so much for your help so far!

That looks like your best option for DSM2. They make better options for DSMX (notable longer antennas that are more easily positioned properly) but you won't be going too far with an Atom :)

Hey Guys, I'm back now owning a Lemon DSM2 Satellite receiver... And now my big question is, how do I connect that to my quad. After slogging through the RC groups forum where the user manual was located, I saw that it seemed that in order for me to make this system work, I would be needing to connect my existing AR400 Rx to the satellite receiver to connect to my quad. Is that truly the case? On the atom, there is very limited space and I would prefer to not have two receivers under the canopy as that would mean pulling out the Dremel to make room.

Thanks so much for your help so far.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
No need for the AR400. The red or orange wire goes to +3.3v, the black to ground and the yellow or white to the DSM pad. Getting these into bind mode can be tricky, there are instructions posted here, and bunch of videos on youtube like
I haven't done it for a couple of years, the details are hazy ;)

Reactions: FDS

Bricks

Master member
You should be able to use the AR400 plug in the satellite receiver bind as you would normally and the satellite should be bound then mount in quad as ES mentioned.....if I remember correctly

So... After researching which pin provides the 3.3v power for the RX, It was determined that the closest spot where it was available was on the backside of a 4 pinout connector. I soldered my power onto that pad and took much care not to have any shorts as I showed in the attached pictures. I plugged my quad into my computer and connected to CleanFlight and pasted the correct code required for putting the SAT receiver into bind mode. I powered up my controller after reseting my connection to my computer and nothing noticeable happened with the quad lights. I went to the receiver tab and there was no data, and moving the sticks did not provide any feedback on the Cleanflight side. It also might be worthwhile noting that the SAT receiver does have an LED that flickers when I plug it in, but does not stay lit after that flicker. I am thinking that maybe the youtube video that was explaining those ports might have been wrong? But if so, why does the light flicker?

Thanks for the help so far.

Attachments

• IMG_2768.jpeg
    IMG_2768.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2769.jpeg
    IMG_2769.jpeg
    714.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2770.jpeg
    IMG_2770.jpeg
    774.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2772.jpeg
    IMG_2772.jpeg
    807.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2773.jpeg
    IMG_2773.jpeg
    683 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2774.jpeg
    IMG_2774.jpeg
    771.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2775.jpeg
    IMG_2775.jpeg
    718.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2777.jpeg
    IMG_2777.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Just reached a new height of epic fail. I dropped a blob of solder on the FC terminals. $34.00 mistake. 4 hours of minimum wage work in Cali.

In order to not make this same mistake again, I am thinking that it might be worth my while getting a male connector that fits into the port that I am trying to solder into. My only question is, what is that port called so that I can do an internet search for one.

Thanks for all the help so Far.

Attachments

• IMG_2786.jpeg
    IMG_2786.jpeg
    676.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2787.jpeg
    IMG_2787.jpeg
    941.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2788.jpeg
    IMG_2788.jpeg
    697.5 KB · Views: 0
Oh, and for those wondering how long it took me to give up trying to clean the terminals on the board, it was about 45 minutes before I realized it was hopeless with the tools that I currently have. The attached images below show my attempts to clean up the spill.

Attachments

• IMG_2784.jpeg
    IMG_2784.jpeg
  • IMG_2785.jpeg
    IMG_2785.jpeg