spektrum dx5e?

epiper93

Hello again, and I recently bought a spektrum dx5e to help pilot my new extra 300.... What do you guys think of the radio??

Pilot Scott

FLY LOW
No, No, Just it's a one plane radio. You bind it to one plane, set the trims and when you want to fly another you have to rebind and re trim. That's all. It's got hi and low rates, delta mixing, etc so it a good radio but you are somewhat tied to a single aircraft.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
ya that makes sense too i just write down trims lol
I don't think that you need to think to much about trims and expo on a small EPP or depron plane.
If you are getting more planes then you will certainly get a transmitter with more features like several model memories, remembered trim settings, mixes, expo and so on.
The DX5e is a good radio for smaller planes if you have just one or a few.
Please post some pictures or video when you fly your Extra 300

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Hello again, and I recently bought a spektrum dx5e to help pilot my new extra 300.... What do you guys think of the radio??

Caution. This is a very basic, limited radio. I still have one I let my kids use to fly my supercub or to use as a trainer box.

For what you are doing, you are probably not going to like it. If you read your planes manual it will tell you what settings to use for trim and expo. When I was starting out, I got an Ultra Micro 4-Site as a gift. I had ordered my DX8 but it hadn't come in yet so I used my DX5e. It was not a good idea. Unless you are a proficient pilot already, you'll want to be able to tame it down until you get used to it. The dx5 has dual rates, but it's set at 50% and you don't have any expos. A DX6i or above has the programming that allows you to fly it safer and have a lot more fun.

My 4-Site suffered greatly because of this. Once I got my DX8 and was able to program it the way Horizon Recommends, I had a blast. I was able to tame the sticks down and make it fun to fly and do tricks instead of just doing laps. Until then, it would roll so fast even on low rates that I had a very hard time keeping it in the air.

I know I'll get blasted for this, but it's a true life experience with this radio and a very similar plane. I'm not saying it can't be done, but you won't get nearly the enjoyment out of that plane that you will with a better radio. I was very new to 3D at the time and I'm much better now but I still won't fly it on that radio.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I don't think that you need to think to much about trims and expo on a small EPP or depron plane.

I disagree. It's not the size of the plane that you're adding expo for. It's the rates of roll pitch and yaw. It doesn't matter if it's a 100 incher or a ten incher. If it rolls so fast when you touch the sticks that you lose orientation, then expo helps to numb it and make it more controllable. It especially helps when you're trying to land, go inverted, knife edge, pretty much any time. It makes your movements more precise. I add expo to all my large throw fast roll planes. It takes it from being twitchy to nice and smooth and my success rate has climbed because of this.

This is from page 8 of the Extra 300 Manual

Dual Rates and Expo
We recommend using a DSM2 radio capable of
dual rates and expo. Adjust according to individual
preferences after initial flight. The DX5e transmitter
is not recommended

http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/EFLU1080-Manual_EN.pdf

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
I gotta agree with Ak Flyer!

I have a little wing that without LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of Dual Rates and Expo would be impossible to fly.

Moving your thumb a little bit makes a quick roll already.

However, I have a Prakzone Extra 300! It is possible to fly it with a DX5e as I don´t really use that much of Expos and Dualrates on that plane. It really depends on you now. I´d simply go with a DX6i because the Extra will probably not be your only plane and always having to bind to a new receiver sucks!!! Also you´d be much more likely to crash for the reasons above.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
The DX5e is an expensive radio with few features. You'd have change from buying a Turnigy/Flysky/Eurgle 9x fully programmable full range 8 channel radio for the same money as a DX5e. If you're not into cheap Chinese stuff, you'd want a minimum of a DX6i or Futaba 6EX FAAST.

epiper93

this is my second day with it, it seem to fly my Extra Fine, i mean i'm more into sailplanes and planes similiar (such as the Bixler) anything that doesnt cost too much but is fun is what i'm into..i also bound it to my aeronca champ and if flys it flawless, which im aware that the camp doesnt really push any radio to its limits..the onl plane i can't fly in my fleet with the dx5e is my Cox Skycruiser which has to be bound to my dad's older futaba. but overall for what i do, i really like the radio so far. and i have set up some expo's for my brother and my dad since they are both computer illiterate and yet they have to have "top of the line" futaba radios..(both have the super 8 channel) and my brother recently upgraded to the super 8 from his Dx6i and from my personal experience just from what i have seen, its MUCH, MUCH easier to set up expos on the futaba than the Spektrum. but this is just my opinion

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
The DX5e is an expensive radio with few features. You'd have change from buying a Turnigy/Flysky/Eurgle 9x fully programmable full range 8 channel radio for the same money as a DX5e. If you're not into cheap Chinese stuff, you'd want a minimum of a DX6i or Futaba 6EX FAAST.

Out of the radios you listed though, only the DX5e and the DX6i will bind to the plane without buying modules and other things.

epiper93

If you are getting more planes then you will certainly get a transmitter with more features like several model memories, remembered trim settings, mixes, expo and so on.
The DX5e is a good radio for smaller planes if you have just one or a few.
Please post some pictures or video when you fly your Extra 300
@ pgerts i will definitely try to post a video but if i cant i will guarantee pictures within the next week

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Glad to hear you are having good luck with your plane. My friends have the same plane and it's a blast to fly. I really liked my 4-site, and the extra is even better.

epiper93

Glad to hear you are having good luck with your plane. My friends have the same plane and it's a blast to fly. I really liked my 4-site, and the extra is even better.
Yeah i really like it, i know when designing they want to make the lightest plane possible but i really kinda wish it was just a little more hefty, i mean i touch it and i feel like im going to break it lol but when its in the air its great, the only plane i have flown out of the box that didnt require 1 click of trim! lol

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
After watching my buddies crash theirs a few times, we were all very surprised at how durable it really is. I think you'll like it for a long time. I was going to buy one myself but they only come in one color. I don't like all having the exact same thing. I decided to build a hobbyking galaxy for our indoor season. I'm hoping it flies just like your 300.