Spektrum DX6E - does each switch take up a channel?

David Spence

Hey guys - newbie here. Just bought a Spektrum DX6E and put it in a Mini Beaver with the Aura 5 - Love it!! Now I'm building something bigger and wondering if I can use all/some of the switches on my radio for things like lights, flaps, cams, etc or am I limited to 6 (Throttle, Rudder, Elevator, Ailerons, and 2 more)???

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Welcome to the Forums!

Yeah, you are limited to 6 channels with the DX6E. You would need something like a DX8 to get more channels. Spectrum puts max channels right in the model number.

LitterBug

Inq

Elite member
I'm curious and not intending to start any kind of Ford versus Chevy flaming war... What are the advantages of the Spektrum brand? It seems to be the most common here on the forum and even in the AMA club I'm joining. Not knowing any better I bought a Flysky FS-i6X for less than $60 that has 10 channels. I've just put in my third airplane and it seems to have any ability I can think of. Have already used dual-rates, exponential, elevon and flaperon mixing. The Spektrum looks like nice hardware, but the Flysky seems to have metal bearings in the sticks and doesn't feel like I'd wear it out in my lifetime.

luvmy40

Elite member
I'm curious and not intending to start any kind of Ford versus Chevy flaming war... What are the advantages of the Spektrum brand? It seems to be the most common here on the forum and even in the AMA club I'm joining. Not knowing any better I bought a Flysky FS-i6X for less than $60 that has 10 channels. I've just put in my third airplane and it seems to have any ability I can think of. Have already used dual-rates, exponential, elevon and flaperon mixing. The Spektrum looks like nice hardware, but the Flysky seems to have metal bearings in the sticks and doesn't feel like I'd wear it out in my lifetime.

I started with the FSi6X as well. I found it quite capable and versatile. I have since gone over to the RadioMaster TX16S w/ EdgeTX. I have no experience with the Spektrum radios.

The FSi16X is limited to 2 mixes, 20 models and the resolution of the gimbles is not great. it uses AA batteries which has pros and cons and is generally not as robust as the higher priced radios. The FlySky compatible receivers are inexpensive, reliable, and readily available. I did have one 2 position switch break, but it was easy to replace, and I do not think the switches in the more expensive radios are any stronger. I do still think it is an excellent value and a great starter transmitter.

The RadioMaster TX16S feels much smoother in operation with it's Hall Effect gimbles( I will be upgrading them to the AG01 CNC gimbles at some point), uses either a 1s LiPo battery or 2 18650 Li-ion batteries in the included adapter. The EdgeTX(or OpenTX) firmware, basically gives you unlimited mixes and models, though it has a fairly steep learning curve. Once you understand the platform, it's amazing what can be done with the logic switches and special functions. The multi protocol module lets me use all my Flysky receivers and, virtually any other receiver on the market as well. It is also easy to update the firmware as new releases become available. You can also use ELRS external modules if you want to go that route.

I know you specifically asked about the Spektrum radios, but I just wanted to address the differences in hardware quality and capabilities between the FSi6X and another higher end, yet still modestly priced radio.

Reactions: Inq

Inq

Elite member
Hey guys - newbie here. Just bought a Spektrum DX6E and put it in a Mini Beaver with the Aura 5 - Love it!! Now I'm building something bigger and wondering if I can use all/some of the switches on my radio for things like lights, flaps, cams, etc or am I limited to 6 (Throttle, Rudder, Elevator, Ailerons, and 2 more)???

I was also going to say, it depends. Some things take up more channels. For instance... I just added a plane with flaperons. It uses one servo socket for each wing's aileron. So two servo sockets are taken up on the receiver, but only use one channel on the transmitter. Adding flaperon ability, uses one of the switches on the transmitter to cause both ailerons (full span ailerons) to depress down in three setting 0°, 20° and 40° flaps... thus using two "channels" on both the transmitter and receiver.

Wanting more channels?... I think it would depend on if you want to learn about micro processors and electronics. It's something I want to explore once I keep from crashing. Anyway... the Flysky (I imagine the Spektrum does also) allows you to interface with an Arduino or similar microprocessor or even a microcomputer like a Raspberry Pi onboard the plane. It works both ways sending and receiving data. You could add anything your imagination comes up with. With sensors (barometers, gyros, accelerometers, GPS) you could build as complex as a SAFE type system or even an autopilot, waypoint, auto landing system or as simple as LED lights with blink patterns. Or just send diagnostics to your transmitter like battery state, rpm, temperatures. Again... limit is your imagination (and battery power you're willing to carry). ;)

Inq

Elite member
The FSi16X is limited to 2 mixes, 20 models and the resolution of the gimbles is not great. it uses AA batteries which has pros and cons and is generally not as robust as the higher priced radios.

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind if I stay with this hobby long enough to pass through 20 models.;) I like building, so it'll probably happen. BTW, I'm using rechargeables, in the transmitter but have to take them out to charge them and my Flysky has 3 mixes and that is on top of the "canned" elevon or V-tail capability. But, I like the idea of infinite... I might actually use more than 3 some day.

Also, I probably will become more discerning over the hardware quality as time goes on. The flight instructor of the AMA club I'm joining trained me on his Spektrum. After using it, I didn't feel like I got out of a Porsche and back into my beater Chevy (Flysky). :LOL:

David Spence

Thanks guys - all good information! I'm an IT guy, a pilot (though not licensed right now), and work for an aerospace company so I'm loving where the technology is going in the RC industry but lots to learn!! Thanks again!