Spektrum DX8 for the V Tail

Tymtravler

Hello fellow rotor heads, I have a chance to get a good deal on a Spektrum DX8 and I was wondering if anyone has setup one for the Bat Bone V Tail and if you could let me know what you used as you setting.
Thanks

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
If you're control board is set up properly, stock aero mode is all you really need to get flying -- the board does the rest of the mixing.

That and *maybe* map a switch or two to the flight controller's mode channel (if it has one).

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
No sweat TYM!

In all fairness, I asked the same question last week, to someone IRL. Was expecting a complicated answer, then took a second for me to realize the guy was dead-on-right. The board *SHOULD* do all the mixing -- it knows what's going on better than the radio in my hand does.

kah00na

I have a Turnigy 9x and am very happy with it, but the guys at my Hobby Store drool over the Spektrum DX8.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
They need to be careful about that. Transmitters don't like getting wet ;)

Perhaps drool resistance is another way the 9x has the advantage?

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
I have the DX8 and have had zero issues. It feels medium-high quality. I got it off Amazon last year in Sept for $340 for signing up for the Amazon credit card (which I probably will never use). I'm not sure ..how.. much 'nicer' it is over the inexpensive Turnigy or Orange. It needs charging after about two hours of use (~5.5V >> 4.6V).

I'm happy with it. Be sure to update the firmware.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I have the DX8 and have had zero issues. It feels medium-high quality. I got it off Amazon last year in Sept for $340 for signing up for the Amazon credit card (which I probably will never use). I'm not sure ..how.. much 'nicer' it is over the inexpensive Turnigy or Orange. It needs charging after about two hours of use (~5.5V >> 4.6V).

I'm happy with it. Be sure to update the firmware.

Had about the same experience with my DX7S. Spectrum makes good inexpensive radios, but they don't make cheap full featured radios.

If I dropped it and smashed it beyond repair, I'm not convinced I'd go out and buy a 9x or 9xr, but I wouldn't steer anyone away from it. Now if the Taranis were reddily available, that might be another story . . .