Spektrum DXe

TexasTeacher

Ready to Crash
Any thoughts on using the new DXe as a club radio?

Prices are not bad, $89.99 with a receiver and $59.99 with out

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times

As a gateway drug to Spektrum it seems quite good. Beware though, the versions that are sold with RTF kits are not full DXe's depending on the model. They have missing switches and the associated internal hardware and software is missing or so I read. It was not clear if those versions can even be programmed for different models.

The other -ve is that if you want to fly a different model you have to download a different program since it is a programmable radio and must be set up for the model you want to fly. This is good in that the radio can be set up specifically but is bad in that you cannot switch models without downloading a new program from your smart phone or PC. If you have a "club" model that is set up a certain way then this probably ok. Otherwise it could be a pita making club use a non starter.

I think it may be possible to download the program from your smart phone via bluetooth but from the PC you need a cable which is quite expensive for a cable and there is a similarly expensive cable for smartphones too. Not sure if that is just an alternative to bluetooth or you can do more if you use the cable.

I would research it carefully before you dive in and make sure it will suit your purpose.

TexasTeacher

Ready to Crash
I was not looking to buy it with ready to fly aircraft. I was going to buy maybe 2 or 3 with RX and maybe 2 or 3 as just TX only.

We have several tiny trainers to fly. And i think programming them would make the kiddos think more about their set ups and make them be more thoughtful about planning their flights. Each student already has an ipad so linking should not be an issue.

Cables i can get away with maybe getting 2 of each, they are 17 for the USB and 13 for the Mobile cable. I would be willing to bet they would be simple to make once some one buys one and we can take it apart to figure out which wire goes to what, looks like only 3 wires to make it work and 2 connectors. http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMA3081

But yes i am going to look much deeper into this

Last edited:

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
Sounds like it could work quite well for you then.

One caveat on the programming is that last I looked the smart phone programming app only allows you to do things like servo reverse and download a model to the TX. If you wanted to set up a model you have to use the PC programming app. There may be a new smart phone app to use with that cable that allows more. All this stuff is quite new and rolling out so things change.

Last I looked you could download the PC app to see what it does without having the TX . I would also download the smartphone apps and try them out before you buy to make sure they do what you have in mind.

Last edited:
Sounds like it could work quite well for you then.

One caveat on the programming is that last I looked the smart phone programming app only allows you to do things like servo reverse and download a model to the TX. If you wanted to set up a model you have to use the PC programming app. There may be a new smart phone app to use with that cable that allows more. All this stuff is quite new and rolling out so things change.

Last I looked you could download the PC app to see what it does without having the TX . I would also download the smartphone apps and try them out before you buy to make sure they do what you have in mind.
Sounds like a bit of a hassle. I would buy either a DX5e or a DX6i instead.

Speaking of caveats, you can turn on the exponential function on the DX5e by turning the transmitter on while holding the aileron (mode 2) trim tab to the right. To turn it off, turn on the transmitter while holding the same trim tab to the left.

kacknor

Build another!

I'd be over here with TOWN-C. Sounds like a hassle. For the extra 40 or 50 bucks get a DX6i. Buy a 5 pack of Lemon-RX 6 channel DSM2 receivers for $30 more.

Now you have a 'Club Radio' that can basically be plugged into whatever inexpensive or donated flying machine you can find for people to try, or afterwards, learn to fix. ;) Maybe a used one on eBay will fit the budget and not require somebody's time and computer for each aircraft it's used with.

JD

TexasTeacher

Ready to Crash
According to Horizon Hobby, it does have wireless trainer features. they guy with horizon said it is not documented past the fact the button is labeled trainer.

I might try to get my hands on one to try it out

RPGough

Build your own TX/RX Audio Programming Cable DXe/AS3X

I tried building my own cable but when I plugged it into my phone, the screen frizzed out then went black! I freaked out and tried resetting my iPhone. Fortunately it came back up. I immediately ordered the cable and when it arrived I noticed there is a small PCBoard inline so it is there to protect the phone. Good luck.

Montiey

Master Tinkerer
I would be willing to bet they would be simple to make once some one buys one and we can take it apart to figure out which wire goes to what, looks like only 3 wires to make it work and 2 connectors. http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMA3081

Please!! I really want to try out some AS3X adjustments and stuff.. If you could post a pinout once you get one, that would be fantastic. Honestly its ridiculous that spektrum charges $13 for a $5 cable… It's surely expensive to get aluminum milled, but they didn't need to do that…

======EDIT=====

I tried building my own cable but when I plugged it into my phone, the screen frizzed out then went black! I freaked out and tried resetting my iPhone. Fortunately it came back up. I immediately ordered the cable and when it arrived I noticed there is a small PCBoard inline so it is there to protect the phone. Good luck.

That sucks. I guess we aren't supposed to power the RX or let power from the RX into the device… :p
I might buy one and see if I can't reverse engineer the PCB or something. If there's a MC with some software, forget it.. But if not then I'd love to try and make some custom PCBs.

Last edited:

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
sounds like you are having problems. i avoid spektrum. it has been known to be less reliable than other brands and is just plain more expensive. especially for a large group or kids wanting to get their own gear, something like flysky or frsky can be a much cheaper and better alternative. especially with frsky or anything tat used opentx, there is lots of opportunity for learning experiences because of the open source software. it is really incredible what you can do with it.

the only reason i see for going with spektrum is to make it easy to bind and fly horizon hobby planes but idk why you would want to do that for stem. for stem purposes you want to build something in which case flysky is the cheapest and very reliable and also you can have modules for spektrum if you must use it.

just my opinions (and almost everyone in the rc discord server, lol)

i just think that for the purposes of stem, the cheaper option with more capabilities would be more beneficial then a restrictive, more pricey spektrum way of doing things.

jtrops

sounds like you are having problems. i avoid spektrum. it has been known to be less reliable than other brands and is just plain more expensive. especially for a large group or kids wanting to get their own gear, something like flysky or frsky can be a much cheaper and better alternative. especially with frsky or anything tat used opentx, there is lots of opportunity for learning experiences because of the open source software. it is really incredible what you can do with it.

the only reason i see for going with spektrum is to make it easy to bind and fly horizon hobby planes but idk why you would want to do that for stem. for stem purposes you want to build something in which case flysky is the cheapest and very reliable and also you can have modules for spektrum if you must use it.

just my opinions (and almost everyone in the rc discord server, lol)

i just think that for the purposes of stem, the cheaper option with more capabilities would be more beneficial then a restrictive, more pricey spektrum way of doing things.

I second this.

Flysky feels a bit toy like compared to Most of the Spektrum radio's, but they work very well. For $40 you get a Tx with an Rx. The Tx can store multiple models, and has plenty of options for mixing when the need arises. Since it is programmed in the radio itself you can easily make adjustments at the field while dialing in settings for a plane.

Anything with OpenTX, or Er9x will be even more adaptable (although quite a bit more involved to program).

If you want something for the students to learn with I would think that the Flysky FS-i6 is just about perfect. The trainer cable is very easy to make out of an old S-video cable as well.