Spektrum Receiver: Busted or fixable?

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
So, I had a bad lawn dart (actually #3, since it worked for flights 1, 2, and 3.) It’s in this video here:
I was using my only working spektrum 6 channel receiver (my other one got drenched)
8CE267DF-9EFA-41C4-93FE-12685A12C611.jpeg

By the way, the one in the Night Radian receiver still works, but it works off and on. I recently did a ground simulation flight, but it hasn’t worked since. If any of you have any ideas on how to fix it, I’d appreciate it! Anyway, I’m talking about a different receiver. It’s a spektrum acro 6 channel antenna less.
E0C97368-E7A0-4D40-AF17-1DEC809E09F0.jpeg

So this was in the video that I attached above. The incident in question is the last crash where it nosedives. Afterward, I found that it binds to the TX, so it has power, but it doesn’t give throttle or move the servos. Is it totaled? Do I just need to buy a new one? Or is there some way to fix it? Thanks in advance for all your help!

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
without seeing the circuit board(s), it would be hard to tell if it is fixable. If your not comfortable with soldered/etc, it isn't likely that you would be able to fix it. Fixable damage would be something coming loose that could be soldered back up. However, depending on what broke, that may or may not be doable by hand.

Also, given that has an internal antenna, even if you get the outputs working again, I would be sure to do some serious range testing, because if one of the internal antenna things got damaged, you could have some unexpectedly weak signal.

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
without seeing the circuit board(s), it would be hard to tell if it is fixable. If your not comfortable with soldered/etc, it isn't likely that you would be able to fix it. Fixable damage would be something coming loose that could be soldered back up. However, depending on what broke, that may or may not be doable by hand.

Also, given that has an internal antenna, even if you get the outputs working again, I would be sure to do some serious range testing, because if one of the internal antenna things got damaged, you could have some unexpectedly weak signal.

Thanks for the advice about the range testing. If I get this working, I’ll be sure to do that. I opened up the receiver to show you what it looks like. It doesn’t look like anything came loose. But, I don’t really know what to look for, but I don’t see any bridged connections or any disconnected things. Let me know if you see anything peculiar in these pictures. I have a friend who can solder for me if need be.
image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
those pictures are so out of focus that I can't see anything useful, at that you probably need to hit them with a magnifying glass to look them over.

if you see that squiggly trace at the top of the second photo, that is probably your antenna.

if you have a voltmeter, you should check continuity between all the ground pins on the connectors and all of the Vcc pins on the connectors (the signal pins shouldn't show connectivity to the others)

BradDH

Definitely check and make sure that all the other parts are working good. The next thing that i would check is to see if any of the pin connections are loose? like can you wiggle them? If so, then get someone just to heat up those solder joints and fix them in place. Again, maybe some in focus shots under a magnifying glass will help

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
Definitely check and make sure that all the other parts are working good. The next thing that i would check is to see if any of the pin connections are loose? like can you wiggle them? If so, then get someone just to heat up those solder joints and fix them in place. Again, maybe some in focus shots under a magnifying glass will help
Ok, I’ll try to get those!