Spektrum trainer disconnecting

bwarz

Master member
I have a Spektrum DX6 and my kids have the DX6i. I picked up a DX5e for a spare trainer. Out at the field this morning, with us the only ones there, I was setting up the DX6 as master, and one of the DX6is as slave. I did this both wireless and wired. Binding and linking seemed OK. Whenever we would try to check surfaces, or in monitor mode, it kept saying slave not connected. I tried the 5E as well. I changed my batteries in the DX6 and kinda-sorta got the other 6i to connect, but in flight he would occasionally lose signal and I'd have to regain (I always got control back, it was like the trainer disconnected.

The only other thing I might offer is that my other son has a Taranis X9 Lite with an MPM and he was flying a Spektrum receiver as well, but I wouldn;t expect to have interference. The my son with the trainer radio and I were standing within a few feet of each other.

Has anyone out there had weird problems with trainer mode on Spektrum radios?

bwarz

Master member
I don't know - maybe I'm nuts. My son may have been turning on the slave radio. I just tested eveRything on the bench and all seems good. I may have forgotten that the slave needs to be switched off when in wired mode. But things were going wonky with wireless as well, and I wasn't imagining the loss of signal!

I'd still love to hear if anyone else has had any sort of problems or experiences with Spektrum and trainer mode.

BTW, I was able to bind my son's Taranis as a wireless slave to my DX6 :D

Last edited:

bwarz

Master member
went into the yard to fly a micro this evening and the rechargeable batteries that I had in at the field were back in the radio to test. they died real fast while in the air and the plane came down almost as fast. the batteries are straight in to recycle. I think I've got my culprit. So glad I didn't have a plane in the air at the field!