Spektrum vs. Futaba which is better?

MT Alex

It sure is. You could also look at FrSky, who's ACCST tech is closer to Futaba's FASST than Spektrum's DSMX.

Futaba's FASST is definitely better than Spektrum's DSM2. However, DSMX eliminates the drawbacks of DSM2 and is probably at a par with FASST.

There are two forms of spread spectrum technology: Direct Sequence (DSSS) and Frequency Hopping (FHSS). DSSS spreads a narrow band signal over a larger band by mixing it with pseudo random "noise", while FHSS hops around the whole band several times a second. DSM2 tends to be better at rejecting low-level wide band interference, while FHSS tends to be better at rejecting narrow band interference.

Spektrum DSM2 uses DSSS only on two channels selected at start up (I believe the original DSM used only one channel.)

Most other manufacturer's protocols use FHSS - this includes Futaba S-FHSS, FrSky ACCST, Hitec AFHSS, Airtronics FHSS, and others. These are much more resilient to narrow band interference since they'll simply hop past the bad section.

Futaba's FASST, Spektrum DSMX and JR's DMSS use a combination of DSSS and FHSS. A DSSS signal hops around the whole frequency band using FHSS. On paper, this give the best resistance to both narrow band and wide band interference. In the real world and our application, there is no hard evidence that DSSS+FHSS has an advantage over FHSS alone.

The one thing that might still give Futaba an edge is that the R/C market is actually only a small part of Futaba's business. They also do industrial radio control where reliability is very important, so their testing and R&D facilities may be larger than the ones for the other radio manufacturers. That said, their industrial radio control uses DSSS, not FHSS, so it's not clear how much their experience in industrial R/C affects their hobby R/C development.

The upshot is that pretty much all current name-brand systems that include FHSS have good reliability and resistance to interference. The hybrid DSSS+FHSS systems may or may not provide better resistance to interference, but there's no hard evidence one way or the other.

mrstamp80

What kept me from buying a futaba over spektrum, was the lack of rx options. Most of the time it's just me, or a couple buddies flying scratch built foamies. My budget is limited and spending almost $50 a pop on 4ch. rx from futaba is crazy. There is a lack of alternate rx for futaba. There is alot of options for dsmx 6ch rx for about $15 a pop. That is one of the biggest reasons i went with Spektrum. It mainly came down to budget for me.

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
There a few cheaper compatible receivers that run in the $20-$30 range.
I can't make any direct comparisons with Futaba, but they work fine on a DTF foamie.

Best regards,
PCH

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
One thing that FASST receivers have really are more like 2 receivers in one, each with its own antenna, as well as a system that anticipates what the next logical combination of commands should be in the relation to the last one received, like it knows that if you are with the ailerons at full right, then it knows that a splitsecond after it can't be on full left because you have not had time basically to get to that position without passing though the rest of the proportional part with their respective signals sent. So if the FASST receiver receives another signal that happens to cause interference due to saturation like at a large flying event, it will first analyse orientation and strength in comparison with the last true signal received, then decide on what the data is actually telling it, and which is most likely to be the real signal, even if it is the weaker one. I guess you can compare it to a fly by wire system where you are flying with an "in between" computer rather than direct. But Futaba is not the only ones to use this type os safety system, as Multiplex have been using it from way back in the 35mhz days of the early 80's, and back then were considered one of the safest alternatives there was, even with 2 radios on the same channel, but Futaba just added it as an extra safety precaution in an attempt to make the best they could. The FASST system was originally developed for industrial applications like the big construction cranes which obviously can't be allowed to just drop their cargo on top of passing by pedestrians, and so has to be resilient to interference. There are other companies that are making the FASST compatible receivers, he best alternatives actually being made by FrSky, although Orange also make them along with a number of other companies.

Another thing, if we are talking Futaba Vs. Spektrum rather than S-FHSS/FASST vs. DSM2/DSMX, I have one thing to say: S-Bus!

mjmccarron

Futaba has always been excellent quality. The DSMX Spektrums are absolutely on par as far as providing a solid link to your aircraft. DSM2 has gained a bad reputation although I personally haven't had any issues with it. I still think Futaba has smoother gimbals and higher quality hardware. I have also dealt with Futaba's service department on several occasions and I think they have some of the best customer service out there. I personally fly both Futaba and Spectrum/JR. I don't have any experience with Taranis yet but I hear great things about them. Over the years I have had radios from: Ace RC, Kraft, Airtronics, Cirrus, Futaba, JR, KO Propo, and Hitec. They all have their merits and quirks. My advice for a beginner would be to use what is commonly used in your circle of friends. That way help is a group effort. Stay away from the super cheap deals and clones. You get what you pay for.

Mike

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
I have also dealt with Futaba's service department on several occasions and I think they have some of the best customer service out there.

I can second this, but then I'm biased because I have a friend in Futaba's service department here in Spain that gives me preference hahaha. Here they also cover Robbe-Futaba products, not just pure Futaba.

Futaba's 2.4 GHz FASST and 2.4 GHz FHSS systems

Between Futaba's FASST and FHSS technology, which one is better?

Last edited:

RyanNX211

Hi everyone, in the Flite Test Mid-Air Package Exchange - Viewer Response episode, both David Windestål and Josh Bixler said that Futaba has the most solid 2.4GHz signal compared to Spektrum and all of the other brands, and I was wondering if that is still true?

Spektrum was abandoned by many users of Kettering style ignition systems back in the DSM2 days. DSMX did not fix the "interference" (I know spark interference is supposed to be so much below where 2.4 operates). If you place a Spektrum rx on a test stand with an engine, you can get the flashing red light by manual opening and closing the points.

FrSky appears to have the same issues:
https://youtu.be/eh21Vkha6nI

Futaba's FASST and FHSS have been immune so far. I will often carry 4 channel FHSS receivers with me and loan them to people who are having the inevitable issues. They're usually not too enthusiastic about having to use a cheap feeling $89 system but it's easy to convince them that merely swapping in a different rx, and attaching it to the same Velcro solves all their problems.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-04 at 12.57.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-04 at 12.57.32 PM.png
    433.3 KB · Views: 0

RyanNX211

Between Futaba's FASST and FHSS technology, which one is better?

I wish Futaba would give a straight answer to that question. I think it's a marketing strategy and a deceitful one at that.
They no longer make the FASST modules available thus forcing you to buy the really high end radios

epiper93

Spektrum to me is a far better radio. As I have owned both. You have several pros and cons to each. I currently own a DX8G2 I have owned Futaba T6J and honestly the functionality isn’t there. They are similar to program. I honestly think spektrum does a better job as far as usability goes. Also there are a ton of budget receivers for $7-$30 that will get as good if not better range than the spektrum receivers will for $65-$80. As far as I’m concerned LemonRX and OrangeRX have done a lot to help the marketing of spektrum products. Being as a good 8ch Futaba Rx will run you $90-$120 while there may be better range with the Futaba which isn’t noticeable unless your flying far out FPV. You will not notice any difference in the range of the spektrum and Futaba.

rfd

AMA 51668
having grown up with r/c from the days of the SINGLE channel galloping ghost escapement actuators (yeah, i'm that old), then matriculating over from futaba 72mhz to 2.4gig has been a revelation - aways back i started with a simple spektrum dx5e. the tx and rx technology has had swift advancements, for sure. i think most folks rarely have a need to go beyond 6ch and lots more find 3 and 4 channels are enuf. add in fpv and telemetry support. that said, i find it hard to avoid the chinese lineup of boxes being offered (for cheap), notably the taranis qx7 and the newer jumper ts8g.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
After building and equipping 7 planes with DSMX Spektrum equipment I am pretty much stuck with Spektrum stuff now. But, I have never had a problem and love my Spektrum equipment. It is solid and the telemetry modules are great.

rfd

AMA 51668
a multi protocol tx should resolve any mix of rx protocols, which is where a tx like the 80 buck jumper ts8g enters the tx equation ...

Ouch!

Get whatever your clubmates use, so you can join in with buddy boxing etc etc. Mostly you won't notice much difference in the real world between systems. My club mainy use Spektrum, so I bought a DX6e, but if they'd have used FreeSky or FlySky I would have joined in with that (It's cheaper too!).

If you are beginning in RC it's best to be in a club. There's always a halpful hand and some sage advice.

That's my advice.

Ouch!

RyanNX211

Spektrum to me is a far better radio. As I have owned both. You have several pros and cons to each. I currently own a DX8G2 I have owned Futaba T6J and honestly the functionality isn’t there. They are similar to program. I honestly think spektrum does a better job as far as usability goes. Also there are a ton of budget receivers for $7-$30 that will get as good if not better range than the spektrum receivers will for $65-$80. As far as I’m concerned LemonRX and OrangeRX have done a lot to help the marketing of spektrum products. Being as a good 8ch Futaba Rx will run you $90-$120 while there may be better range with the Futaba which isn’t noticeable unless your flying far out FPV. You will not notice any difference in the range of the spektrum and Futaba.

There is no question that when comparing similar priced radios, you get a nicer piece of hardware from Spektrum.
Though I would never use my DX8 again in an aircraft, I still hold on to it for simulator use.
Spektrum is also to be applauded for their ModelMatch. I just wish there signal was a little more robust and reliable