Spins

Did some spins the other day (with a CFII) in a Cessna 150. Thanks to the RC community I'm well versed in cameras. My GoPro had failed, I had a Mobius mounted to the top of my headset as a backup. Besides the lack of ND filter I think it looks great at 1080 for an $80 camera.

This summer I'll be working on my IFR and Stratux ADS-B setup. If you're flight training and want an inexpensive Stratus, check out Stratux - http://stratux.me

Spitfire222

Not a skater
That looks intense! Great video, thanks for sharing. I also learned to fly on a C150, and my instructor meant to show me spins, but we never got around to it. I don't mind roller coasters at all, but I think this would put my stomach in knots!

Thanks. Luckily the stall horn doesn't sound like much with ANR headsets.

Spitfire that's great you have some C-150 time. I flew mostly 172s but this 150 is $80/hr and IFR certified. I can do spins all day, but don't care much for roller coasters at all : )

Spitfire222

Not a skater
Spitfire that's great you have some C-150 time. I flew mostly 172s but this 150 is $80/hr and IFR certified. I can do spins all day, but don't care much for roller coasters at all : )

It was my instructor's plane, which made flight training very reasonably priced! Even now, I mainly rent 152s, but I have flown 172s as well.; the added seats/payload is welcome. I really would like to do spin training to at least experience it and know how to recover from it (in practice, not just the theory we're taught).

Grauwulf

I remember doing my spin training for my private and commercial training. I always loved doing them, just a total hoot. I've done them in C-152's, C-172's and a DA-20. The DA-20 was the most fun, it felt like you went almost inverted entering the spin.

Ray K

Ray K
Speaking of spins, I'm new to r/c but am a high-time general aviation pilot. In watching r/c videos, I notice that ordinary spins are often referred to as flat spins. Anybody know why? One of the r/c pilots is also said to be an airplane pilot, and if so, seems like he should know the difference. I heard another of the guys say he had his "pilot's license". In the USA, unless you're an instructor, there's no such thing as a pilot's license. Am I that far out of tune with the world?

Last edited:

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Ok, after seeing that? I'm gonna just stick to FPV. LOL

I'd be looking at the instruments to see how to get out of the spin, trying to determine attitude with the cloud cover below; that just made me overly nervous looking at the video.

Geeto67

Posting Elsewhere
This brought back some memories of my own flight training in the 1990's. Except I was in a 172.....and after 2 of them I managed to vomit all over the panel (Pro tip: do not eat a large breakfast prior to doing spins). I stopped taking lessons shortly after that.

Anyway, good for you for tackling what all pilots fear, but few actually cover as part of training.

Cobra1365

Old thread. But, whenever I see the word ”Spin” I start sweating!

We had a Tweet Instructor, LtCol Hutchinson, who would sneak up behind you and whisper...”Spin Boldface, Go!”

Throttles – Idle
Rudder and Ailerons – Neutral
Stick – Abruptly Full Aft and Hold
Rudder – Abruptly apply Full Rudder Opposite the Direction of the Spin and Hold
One Turn After Applying Opposite Rudder – Stick Abruptly Full Forward
Controls Neutral and recover from the Dive

In the jet, we would say:
“Idle, neutral, aft
Spinning left, needle left, right rudder
Stick forward, then neutral
Recover“

Damn near every spin I entered, I ended up going past the vertical when I went stick forward and we were hanging in the straps until I recovered!

Here’s a video of the Tweet spinning. Ignore the music! At 0:59 you get a sense of the spin.

Did I mention I hate spins!?

Last edited: