'SPIT' roasted FB

IamTheGriz

HI everyone. I am new to the FT forums and someone sent me this way. I am very interested in trying this build out. better late then never. I will be heading out to my local hobby shop tomorrow for the annual customer appreciation weekend (25% off store wide) so a perfect time for me to grab all my supplies needed to catch up on this

PoorManRC

Master member
Glue gun is back, and things are starting to "take off" again. Aside from joining them, I was able to finish up and cook up my Spit wings. Servos also installed.

View attachment 142390

I must say, after getting this bit together...I'm not a huge fan of the wing joining process. I almost feel like they should've done the wing joining BEFORE fully gluing the wings down. To where you could still actually see the spars as they come together. But I'm kinda just going with the video process.
.... I realize it's a bit late now....
But while watching MANY of Nerdnic's Videos over the past few days, he builds Wings like that, by gluing both bottoms together FIRST, with a full-length Aluminium(for our British friends!!) Spar, attached to one Wing, then glues the other Wing together.
He lets the opposite Wing simply raise up, and kept from putting any pressure on it....

I'll probably be called WRONG here too, but it seems to me that this method not only ends up with a stronger Wing overall, but could also prevent shifting of the Dihedral Angle....

Which I WITNESSED with my Tubby Cubby Wing, using Bix's two Paint Stirrers butted together in the Spar...

My ultimate plan, from absorbing incredible building practices from Master Builder's here, is to come up with the NEARLY unbreakable Foamie!! 😉

I just wish I was able to join this Build. I Love the Spitfire. IMO the second most beautiful Aircraft ever designed!!
But with NO Printer 🖨, NO Computer and a poor selection of Tools, I have to rely on other People to cut kits for me.... Or even just some full size, 20" x 30" plans...
A good Friend is keeping me busy for a while though! I'll be building one for my Son (getting him OFF of his Games!! FTW!), and one for my best Friend.....
Then off to Storch V2 - with SEVERAL ideas that I've learned from you GREAT Guys!! 🍻👍👍

..... I've definitely been enjoying lurking here, seeing all of your amazing Builds - and DETAILS!! Pilotless Aircraft creep me out! Some of you are sorting that nicely. 😁
(MORE ideas!)

IamTheGriz

Welcome @IamTheGriz... The Spit is a great plane.

Have you flown before?

Did the rain stop yet?
Never flown aircraft. a lot of time with diy multirotor for video and DJI stuff for my dad. have been wanting to fly (like really fly not just hover and gps route.) for a long time. I like to get in over my head. I learn the best like that. im really good at blowing stuff up and finding out why it did explode LOL. im a big 3d printing nerd which is what directed me to this thread. my current and first build log is for this monster of a aircraft....its gonna explode but that's ok. it cost maybe 11 dollars to print

im more for the adventure of the build then the success of the flight. ill work on that part as I go along hahaha

Attachments

• G33.jpg
    G33.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 0

kilroy07

Legendary member
Never flown aircraft. a lot of time with diy multirotor for video and DJI stuff for my dad. have been wanting to fly (like really fly not just hover and gps route.) for a long time. I like to get in over my head. I learn the best like that. im really good at blowing stuff up and finding out why it did explode LOL. im a big 3d printing nerd which is what directed me to this thread. my current and first build log is for this monster of a aircraft....its gonna explode but that's ok. it cost maybe 11 dollars to print

im more for the adventure of the build then the success of the flight. ill work on that part as I go along hahaha
That’s a great looking 3D printed plane, but yea..... if that’s gonna be your FIRST plane, it’s gonna EXPLODE! 😳😅

Have you seen this?
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3302937
I’m actually printing one of these myself (done with fuselage, working on tail and wing now.)
Here is another design
https://3dlabprint.com/shop/qtrainer/

I can’t speak to how either fly as I still don’t have one together myself, but soon.

Don’t make the same mistake I made and start off with a “really cool” looking airplane.
There’s a reason all trainers look “boring “ because they are all designed to fly slow and fly very predictable.
Which is what everyone needs starting out.

I started with a notoriously tail heavy design the DR.1 . My first flight lasted all of 15 seconds… The second flight which destroyed the plane lasted less than that so I spent a week putting it and the SE.5 together and had under a minute flight time total that first day I almost gave up at that point but I’m glad I didn’t but what I did do is go back and start with the trainers such as the FT flyer the simple scout and the tiny trainer. They are not the prettiest planes but now most of us have fond memories of these planes as they survived the abuse teaching us the basics.

Also, see if there is a local RC club... that can be a great place to start and get some training.

Good luck, welcome to the family and video (share) your maidens! 👍

IamTheGriz

That’s a great looking 3D printed plane, but yea..... if that’s gonna be your FIRST plane, it’s gonna EXPLODE! 😳😅

Have you seen this?
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3302937
I’m actually printing one of these myself (done with fuselage, working on tail and wing now.)
Here is another design
https://3dlabprint.com/shop/qtrainer/

I can’t speak to how either fly as I still don’t have one together myself, but soon.

Don’t make the same mistake I made and start off with a “really cool” looking airplane.
There’s a reason all trainers look “boring “ because they are all designed to fly slow and fly very predictable.
Which is what everyone needs starting out.

I started with a notoriously tail heavy design the DR.1 . My first flight lasted all of 15 seconds… The second flight which destroyed the plane lasted less than that so I spent a week putting it and the SE.5 together and had under a minute flight time total that first day I almost gave up at that point but I’m glad I didn’t but what I did do is go back and start with the trainers such as the FT flyer the simple scout and the tiny trainer. They are not the prettiest planes but now most of us have fond memories of these planes as they survived the abuse teaching us the basics.

Also, see if there is a local RC club... that can be a great place to start and get some training.

Good luck, welcome to the family and video (share) your maidens! 👍

I actually have both of those files ready to print. I started with the swept wing for printing because I was interested in the design. a lot of printed craft take a lot of time setting up your slicer and printer to do those thin vase mode style walls with the complicated lattice support structures. This bird is printed with double walls + infill + has premade internal structures to boot. it is one stout pig of a aircraft...but also super easy to print. I have also printed the flying wing from the designer and working on the Pike 36 also from thingiverse now that I have spent some time getting my setting correct for the thinner wall designs.

my first flight will be a foamy but wall art is always fun to have as well. and gives me something to look at and work towards being able to fly.

Javiester

Elite member