'SPIT' roasted FB

chris398mx

Master member
Well, do you want the good news or the Bad news?
Good news is I forced the Maiden just before the heavy rain rolled in and it flew pretty well considering the wind was too high and i was trying to trim it in. (this is difficult for me when the wind is blowing the plane all over the place.)
Maiden video to follow as soon as it finishes uploading.

NOW, THE BAD NEWS.........
Maiden Crash.JPG

I landed the maiden in the yard with wheels and they caught and tipped the plane over. My wife quit filming and I thought I would quickly make a second quick flight and try to land on the driveway with the landing gear. So I took off and circled around for a landing when I realized I never did a full throttle pass with the Radial Power Pack C on 4S......... So I gave her the berries and laid her over on her side for a banked approach for the speed pass. The rest as they say is history!! Just so all of you know if you haven't tried the set up,:
1st - it is fast and should be a blast.
2nd - make sure you wing spars can handle the load!

The spar broke right were it goes from 2 thicknesses to one. (see below)
I had even added some wood at the central joint thinking it would help......I should have went much further out in the wing.

Crash Spar.jpg

Crash Spar 2.jpg

My wife was on the other side of the house and heard the spar snap. She came around the house and asked what I hit. Luckily, I didnt hit anything as she spiraled into the ground.
I am not sure at this point if she is worth rebuilding. Every surface is either crinkled, creased,ripped or split.

So probably 20 or more hours on this plane for about 4 minutes of flight time. Not a very good investment.
Well, I guess on the bright side, at least I didn't paint it.

Last edited:

mayan

Legendary member
At the field it seemed like the crash striped almost all the servos, and bent the motor shaft making the motor not work but after a quick check at home this morning before going to the field it seems like no damage was done at all :). I'll still have to do a better check on it to be sure everything is working fine
Did the check and guess what despite my nasty crash nothing but a few scratches, so she will maiden again soon :).

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
A while ago I made a decision that every plane I build and maiden I take a picture of it at the field before it's maiden, here is that picture :).

View attachment 143269

....The plane flew great right off the bat after the decoration job it got, so that was good. ....
Here is the video of the maiden :).

So when I saw your IDF livery I had to share with you my plans for an IDF Spitfire skin that I just started:
IDF Spit.JPG

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Well, do you want the good news or the Bad news?
Good news is I forced the Maiden just before the heavy rain rolled in and it flew pretty well considering the wind was too high and i was trying to trim it in. (this is difficult for me when the wind is blowing the plane all over the place.)
Maiden video to follow as soon as it finishes uploading.

NOW, THE BAD NEWS.........
View attachment 143295

I landed the maiden in the yard with wheels and they caught and tipped the plane over. My wife quit filming and I thought I would quickly make a second quick flight and try to land on the driveway with the landing gear. So I took off and circled around for a landing when I realized I never did a full throttle pass with the Radial Power Pack C on 4S......... So I gave her the berries and laid her over on her side for a banked approach for the speed pass. The rest as they say is history!! Just so all of you know if you haven't tried the set up,:
1st - it is fast and should be a blast.
2nd - make sure you wing spars can handle the load!

The spar broke right were it goes from 2 thicknesses to one. (see below)
I had even added some wood at the central joint thinking it would help......I should have went much further out in the wing.

View attachment 143300
View attachment 143306

My wife was on the other side of the house and heard the spar snap. She came around the house and asked what I hit. Luckily, I didnt hit anything as she spiraled into the ground.
I am not sure at this point if she is worth rebuilding. Every surface is either crinkled, creased,ripped or split.

So probably 20 or more hours on this plane for about 4 minutes of flight time. Not a very good investment.
Well, I guess on the bright side, at least I didn't paint it.
Man that sucks, starting to question whether I should put a 4s in my P-40 :oops::unsure: