'SPIT' roasted FB

Jimun

Elite member
I was able to work in my garage today and got the Spitfire ready to fly. Servos in and connected. Radio setup for the Spit and everything seems to work. I am thinking of adding the landing gear later. What do you guys think. I have not used landing gear yet. The wheels on this gear is hard plastic. I did get some flex filament I plan on using for some different tires with some cushion.

Spitfire 06.JPG

Oh, I still have to do the canopy. I will use the poster board one this time. I have a 3d file of a canopy I am thinking of trying out later.

I want to fly:). I also fixed my Tiny Trainer. It should make it for a few more flights and then a rebuild will be required.

Wildthing

Legendary member
I was able to work in my garage today and got the Spitfire ready to fly. Servos in and connected. Radio setup for the Spit and everything seems to work. I am thinking of adding the landing gear later. What do you guys think. I have not used landing gear yet. The wheels on this gear is hard plastic. I did get some flex filament I plan on using for some different tires with some cushion.

View attachment 147531

Oh, I still have to do the canopy. I will use the poster board one this time. I have a 3d file of a canopy I am thinking of trying out later.

I want to fly:). I also fixed my Tiny Trainer. It should make it for a few more flights and then a rebuild will be required.

Looking great

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
What do you guys think.
I think the gear looks cool! I'm of two minds concerning your flying with them, though. There is part of me that will always say "Just go fly the darn thing!" and worry about the gear later.

Then another part of me thinks that if you've put all that effort into your first 3D printed parts, it'd be a shame not to use them! Even if the worst happens, at least you'd have the satisfaction of seeing those gear retract after take off. There's a lot to be said for that.

I guess in the end, my opinion is pretty simple. If you can get them mounted before you're able to fly again, go ahead and do it. If not, I wouldn't let that stop me from flying. :)

mayan

Legendary member
:eek: Good job trying to do it. Is the Spit ok and ready to fly again?
Ouch, no double ouch. Sorry to see that, very sad ending , hope there wasn't to much damage.
Of course that video is from 3 days ago, yesterday I took her out again flying two 2200mah 3S batteries maxing out ~14 mins on each one, no videos though.

View attachment 147531

Generally I wouldn't recommend you try take off and land first time with this bird, although when your landing gear is closed it seems as if the gear itself is about the height of the bottom of the plane and then you can just leave them closed and belly land it.

Well you’re way ahead of me! Great job!
Thanks.

Well, it’s my first Spitfire wing! Yayyy!!!
Looking great!

The Fopster

Master member
After some practicing with my profile Spitfire, it's time to maiden the SBK one. Amazingly, the photo is AFTER the maiden. Unusually for me it has come back the same shape and in the same number of pieces as it went out. Decided to quit whilst I was ahead after one battery, so time to get the paint cans out!
What a great flying plane... Well done to the Swede! Amazingly beginner friendly for a warbird.

IMG_20191109_113250462.jpg

mayan

Legendary member
After some practicing with my profile Spitfire, it's time to maiden the SBK one. Amazingly, the photo is AFTER the maiden. Unusually for me it has come back the same shape and in the same number of pieces as it went out. Decided to quit whilst I was ahead after one battery, so time to get the paint cans out!
What a great flying plane... Well done to the Swede! Amazingly beginner friendly for a warbird.

View attachment 147574
Wow am I happy to hear that! Ain’t nothing better than coming home with a plane that doesn’t need repairs! Waiting to see the painted version of another beautiful Spitfire.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!

View attachment 147574
Congratulations on your successful maiden! She doesn't even look like she's been in the air yet. Well done!

Tr33s

T

View attachment 147531

WOW. 😃

bracesport

Legendary member
@Jimun - it looks like you are using a regular servo to rotate the wheels 90 deg and you have a front pivoting support - if I am correct and that works you have a great system!

I would try them out - originally I was not going to maiden my spit number one - just in case - but I did it and the thrill was amazing (win or lose)!

Phil

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Pushing my skill boundaries always leads to some exciting moments. Sometimes, a little too exciting...

I got complacent and cocky and wanted to do an invert in close to the camera. Then I forgot that up is down when inverted. :oops: My Spitfire is now in the Intensive Care Unit at the local Airplane Hospital.

The damage was extensive. I'm still trying to decide if she can be saved or not. No regrets either way. If I'm not pushing, I'm not having fun, and I've got to admit - that was a lot of fun! :D

Tr33s

@Tr33s - like everyone who has flown their spitfires has said - they are a great plane and a thrill to fly at level! Mine weighed 1.3 kgs and still flew!

So I have a question... Are you folks using the swappable series power pod? I think I will just use the tiny one like the Scout uses and save all that weight. Any input?